Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Becauss you can’t have geniuses without idiots. :)

Android Auto. :) Volvo has a lot of hardcore fans, too.

I wouldn't choose it over a Tesla, but I think the fact that Volvo is finally getting into the BEV game is good news.

That’s like dating a two bagger for their personality. Android Auto is cool but not Tesla overriding cool.

I know at least a few people that think Model 3's interior is just boring and doesn't look great, so I could see them enjoying the P2's interior quite a bit more. I think their tan interior is pretty sharp looking, and I really like the Google Assistant integration.

Main detractors for me right now are that grill on the nose, the boring color palette for exterior colors, lack of details on charging infrastructure, and the price, range, and performance are all subpar when compared to Model 3. Then of course there is the question of how reliable their batteries will be. All that said I think it'll do well enough, but kind of doubt Model 3 has much to worry about.

That it has a liftback is a positive. Our Model 3 is awesome, but we'd have preferred a liftback like the Model S even at the cost of having a less impressive glass roof. Trunks are less flexible and the Model 3 trunk in particular is vulnerable to water and snow sliding in from the glass when you open it.

Another positive of the Polestar is that it has framed door windows like most cars. I think the frameless design of Tesla vehicles looks great, but it is not as practical when there is snow and ice sticking to everything.

Still not nearly enough to choose a Polestar over a Tesla, though.

Desperate for attention?

Hey look at me! I drive a Polestar or a Bolt!

Phrases like avant garde, counter culture, pumpkin spice lates probably excite the hell out of the Polestar demographics.

As a current owner of a T8 XC90, I'm fond of the Volvo brand. There are many things that I like about the interior, along with the overall fit, finish, and material choices (which are far greater than in my 3). I'm also an android user, and I do like the idea of google's integration into the car, which could then extend to a connected home.

With that being said, I'm quite disappointed in the overall aesthetics of the P2, and the lackluster performance specs. I will confirm, that at this point in time, I will not be placing a $1k deposit. However, if they up the performance, AND make it a wagon, I might be swayed...

Gotta give them points for trying though.

Why did they add a fake (or real?) radiator entrance on the front like Audi did with the e-tron? by the time 2020 rolls around people will have moved past wanting their EV's to have fake ICE accents and design cues and accept an EV is an EV, not a gasser exterior on an EV core.

There are numerous examples of this kind of design flaw in history, here is one from over 100+ years ago when someone glued a fake horse head to a horseless carriage. It looks ridiculous just like this polestar and the e-tron will look in a few years...

1_XmLeQWsx7QXA6FOAr6tCYA.png

The Polestar 2 is not a bad car, but why would someone choose that over a Model 3? Especially since it won't be available until 2020?

The Polestar 2 is a Google-powered all-electric Tesla competitor - The Verge

I personally wouldn't choose it over the Model 3, but there are plenty of reasons to;

1. Volvo build quality is generally excellent. Expect a car with better paint and fewer cosmetic defects than Model 3. Ditto for squeaks/rattles/missing-parts/etc.

2. Volvo has a tiny dealer network by US standards but they have an enormous dealer network by Tesla standards. Especially in Europe.

3. Interior styling looks like it could be superior to what Tesla is offering, with better materials that exude more luxury.

4. Ditto on seats. Volvo is known for having some of (if not the very best) seats and ergonomics in the auto industry.

5. Since it's built by a Swedish company I think it's a pretty fair bet it won't have cold weather teething problems that Model 3 has with sticking door handles, sticking door seals, frozen charge ports, etc.

6. Tax credits (at least theoretically).

7. Leasing... from day one. You can expect Volvo to subsidize these leases to some extent as well which means phenomenal deals for customers. Volvo is trying to shift their entire sales model to a leasing model and that will really be at the forefront with Polestar 2.

In every other area Tesla pretty much kills it. Tesla also built in USA and Polestar 2 will only be built in China, so screw that.

I'm not certain what's up with all the hate on this car. Clearly Volvo is making this car more appealing to the people who are more comfortable with how traditional cars are designed (front grill, more buttons, more familiar layout ergonomically). Not everyone is excited about making the jump to Tesla's more radical design choices.

I love my Tesla and would choose it again, but to me, this Polestar is appealing in a general sense. If there was no Model 3/Y on the market, I would seriously consider it.

I love my Tesla and would choose it again, but to me, this Polestar is appealing in a general sense. If there was no Model 3/Y on the market, I would seriously consider it.

This is really the key. I wouldn't pick it over a Tesla--most here probably wouldn't. But Tesla is not going to make enough vehicles to cover all new-car buyers next year. Or 2021. Or 2026. Etc. The more attractive BEVs on the market, the better.