Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should not buy a Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S Class is a superb automobile superior to Tesla in more ways than one (ICE or not) and when it has self driving or even highway autopilot on par with Tesla (which will be very soon), will be real competition for Tesla again. Many of the comments on this thread are - immature and uninformed fan boy statements at best.

The S Class is built for long distance cruising. I just finished a 200 mile round trip in a Model X. Neither my S nor this X are as comfortable for covering distance as a top class German machine. Add self driving and the choice for long distance comfort is very clearly German.

Will Tesla respond? I'm sure it will. But this thread is stupid.

Last edited:
Boy the Lexus sure looks pretty good on your chart
View attachment 222794

That is an interesting reaction. I skimmed through the MB forum thread, too (it is quite long so I did not feel the need to read every post). Although I agree that some of the posts were "visceral" and that there was a considerable amount of misinformed anti-Tesla sentiment, I did not get the impression that it was that much more rational than some of the posts on TMC or in other Tesla forums. Unfortunately, it sometimes seems as if we Tesla owners (some of us anyway) are also sometimes biased and irrational when commenting about other cars. We are all human and prone to our biases!

For what it is worth (maybe not much), I drove MBs for more than 40 years (E-class or their equivalents, never had a modern S-class car), and have a great deal of respect for the cars and for those who own them. I still belong to the Mercedes Benz Club and it is a fine bunch of people (with a few exceptions, here and there, like any other large group). My local MBCA sections have welcomed me and my Tesla to several events since I made the switch and several club members have expressed genuine interest in the car. No one has called me a traitor yet!

The photo shows a few of the cars at the New England fall foliage rally, with my Tesla among the Benzes.
Looks like a very nice New England fall day :)

Reactions: David29
That was three years ago and not a common problem, I'm not defending but to be fair are you going to post some Tesla fire pictures also? To be honest I wish the resale value of the current generation S class was not as good as it is, I'd like to buy a CPO '15-'16 S550. The '13 and older took a big hit in depreciation when the current generation came out because the new ones are so nice. It funny, I spent way more on my new Tesla than any new MB I have purchased.

Last edited:

As far as resale value it doesn't look pretty good for the S-Class. If I had to get another "Big Sedan" it probably be a 2017 Audi S8 or 2017 BMW 7 Series. I think they look better than the S-Class im not hating on it just saying I've never been that big of an S-Class fan. The 7 Series has an interior that will knock the S8 and the S-Class socks off.

• Disagree
Reactions: sapitswill
As far as resale value it doesn't look pretty good for the S-Class. If I had to get another "Big Sedan" it probably be a 2017 Audi S8 or 2017 BMW 7 Series. I think they look better than the S-Class im not hating on it just saying I've never been that big of an S-Class fan. The 7 Series has an interior that will knock the S8 and the S-Class socks off.
I had a new 7 series loaner for a week and the active lane keep assist was a joke at best. I'm sure BMW can do better, but on i95 the car could not stay in its lane even on the slightest turns. It would try to and then just cross the line and give up and shut off. The gesture controls are a silly gimmick with spinning your finger in the air to turn the volume up and down. Other than that I did like the car, it's rock solid, the turbo 6 has plenty of power and is great on gas, plus it is significantly cheaper than the S class. The upgraded Nappa leather seats and console feel absolutely awesome, are fantastic looking and worth buying the car for by themselves. Everything you touch in the Nappa leather 7 is super buttery smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85DBeast
I never even considered another car. We loved the idea and promise of AutoPilot, the clean, clutter free interior and the great safety record of the Tesla. The electric drivetrain was a bonus. Turns out we liked the 70 so much, we unloaded our other ICE during the great 3rd qtr discounting and picked up the P90.

S class is by far the better long distance cruiser and fit and finish is 100 times better than Tesla.

Where Mercedes, BMW, and Audi fail is tech.. Their tech is always gimmicky garbage that is usually slow buggy and not intuitve.
I sprung for nightvision on my last Audi, total waste of money...

The S Class is a superb automobile superior to Tesla in more ways than one (ICE or not) and when it has self driving or even highway autopilot on par with Tesla (which will be very soon), will be real competition for Tesla again. Many of the comments on this thread are - immature and uninformed fan boy statements at best.

The S Class is built for long distance cruising. I just finished a 200 mile round trip in a Model X. Neither my S nor this X are as comfortable for covering distance as a top class German machine. Add self driving and the choice for long distance comfort is very clearly German.

Will Tesla respond? I'm sure it will. But this thread is stupid.

Reactions: kort677
So if a Tesla cuts you off you will sell yours?

Funny, I always thought the rudest drivers were either Cadillac drivers (I have often felt as though they think they are entitled to park wherever they want to) or people from certain state south and west of my own with yellow license plates (who flock to the Cape and Berkshires and seem to always want to be first in line). I never felt that MB drivers were especially rude. As I mentioned above, I drove Benzes for a long, long time. So perhaps that shows how one's biases can work!
Or to put it another way, "All generalities are false...including this one."

So if a Tesla cuts you off you will sell yours?
I think you misunderstood. I would never buy a Mercedes or BMW ;) From my experience, those are the people whom are most rude. Your mileage will vary.. The people I know who have those cars seem to have a different attitude from me. Again, just my experience. Maybe because I've lived in an area where there are a large number of those drivers. No Tesla has cut me off yet, but from the attitude of posters here, I expect it any day. :eek:

And yea, you can joke all you want, but don't put it past me to sell a Tesla if it comes to the point that drivers get a bad reputation or the cars start getting purposely damaged by people. I once moved out of a Beverly hills neighborhood log ago because I didn't want to be associated with the snotty rude neighbors back then.

Last edited: