Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife, kids and dogs in a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some similar conversations on the threads but i wanted to take it a step further.
I have to pick a new company car.
90% of the driving will be just me (All fine), 5% will be me and 2 dogs (back seats down or with a hammock), 5% will be me, wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs (???)
Has anyone found a way to do this? One dog is a whippet, one is a beagle, approx 13kg each.
Is there a way to get all 6 in?
It doesn't need to be extremely comfortable as it will only be for relatively short journeys (maybe 30 minutes to the beach).

I really want to choose the Tesla but don't want to be using the 2.2 Diesel CRV every time we want to go on a family dog walk. One thought is to use 2 back seats for people, 1 back seat lowered and dogs having the boot space??? This would be very tight for the passengers though. I could have one dog on the centre seat and one in the footwell??

I'd love to pick the Tesla but at the moment the Mustang Mach E is winning on practicality.

I read the model y should be available starting late 2021 in Europe. Not sure about your timeline. The model 3 doesn’t sound like it would work for you here.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. The Model 3 is at the top end of my lease allowance so I don't think it would stretch to a model Y. I need delivery in October as well so I'm not having much luck, if i could be sure of the MY pricing then i could potentially extend the lease on my current RAV4 but they are some big IFs. Thanks for the advice, it looks like its a Mach E or a Polestar for me then :(

are you keeping the CRV as a second car? If its only 5% of trips why not use that to allow you more flexibility in the other 95% of the driving to have the car you prefer?

are you thinking Mach-E/polestar as they could have dogs in the back hatch area with the seats up for kids? Have you checked thats doable for two dogs your size?

are you keeping the CRV as a second car? If its only 5% of trips why not use that to allow you more flexibility in the other 95% of the driving to have the car you prefer?

are you thinking Mach-E/polestar as they could have dogs in the back hatch area with the seats up for kids? Have you checked thats doable for two dogs your size?
Yes I'm keeping the CRV. It seems counter intuitive to take trips out in a CRV when there is a Tesla parked on the drive but I understand your point. That is the exact reason i haven't ruled out the M3 completely.
I'm thinking that there is enough room in the boot of a Mach E/Polestar for short trips i.e. 30 minutes to the beach but not comfortable enough for longer trips i.e. 4 hours to the inlaws.
At the moment i drive a RAV4 Mild hybrid so I'm trying to figure out how much inconvenience i will accept to ditch the 28% BiK tax.
The reality is, I could get a Kia E-Niro or Hyundai Kona with sufficient boot space but the kid in me is stamping his feet for a Tesla!

Lets be honest there is no easy way to do the Tesla unless kids or dogs in the frunk is an option
BUT
for the 90% of driving you will be doing will you be out of range much and having to charge on the road?
if so then the advantages of the Tesla supercharger network ought to be a big factor vs the other EV options. Cannot stress how much better it is than the options available to the other brands right now

Reactions: Stranger Dings
If it's only 5% of your driving then I think dogs and kids in the back dogs either on the centre seat or on someone's lap might well work.
That's definitely under consideration. My concern at the moment is that it could be wet, sandy dogs, muddy dogs or god forbid, dogs that have rolled in fox poo!
Can you tell I have a tendency to overthink?

I was in a Kia the other day ... not particularly spacious inside compared to the Model 3 I found ... though you do get the hatch and rear space that solves the dog issue ... but it feels very ordinary.
I've never had the luxury of being able to afford anything better than "ordinary" in the past. It's one reason why Tesla has such a strong pull on me.
12 months ago, if you had told me I could have an e-niro I would have been happy but getting a list with Tesla/Mustang/Polestar on it reframes things.

Reactions: Exy1 and Adopado
Once a month I go to head office which is 300 miles away. Sometimes I need to head to Aberdeen from Cardiff. Mostly (pre-covid) it's 200 miles to an airport then my work is overseas.
The rational part of my brain says that I should get a sensible/practical EV that I can use with the family without compromise. The immature part of my brain says I need a sporty car with flashy brand.
I think I probably just need to up and ditch Tesla for the next 4 years and get a model Y for my next lease.
Lets be honest there is no easy way to do the Tesla unless kids or dogs in the frunk is an option
BUT
for the 90% of driving you will be doing will you be out of range much and having to charge on the road?
if so then the advantages of the Tesla supercharger network ought to be a big factor vs the other EV options. Cannot stress how much better it is than the options available to the other brands right now