Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi disconnects when I shift to D or R - always

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WiFi disconnects when I shift to D or R - always, even if there is no Tesla's 3G/LTE coverage.

Has someone managed to to fix this somehow?

This can be easily solved if there is a single option in the WiFi settings to choose if you need the connection constantly or auto disconnected. This behavior started with v8.

Besides it's annoying, it's a huge and dangerous distraction as I need to manually select my WiFi every single time I start driving or change to R or D from P.

If you connect to mobile WiFi (MiFi or tether from yours phone) like I did for the last two years as I drive in country not supporting Teslas 3G SIM, this is only option to have maps, updates, music etc.

Probably I am not the only Tesla owner outside Tesla's 3G plan coverage in the World?

Predrag Chemerikikj, Macedonia

WiFi disconnects when I shift to D or R - always, even if there is no Tesla's 3G/LTE coverage.

Has someone managed to to fix this somehow?

This can be easily solved if there is a single option in the WiFi settings to choose if you need the connection constantly or auto disconnected. This behavior started with v8.

Besides it's annoying, it's a huge and dangerous distraction as I need to manually select my WiFi every single time I start driving or change to R or D from P.

If you connect to mobile WiFi (MiFi or tether from yours phone) like I did for the last two years as I drive in country not supporting Teslas 3G SIM, this is only option to have maps, updates, music etc.

Probably I am not the only Tesla owner outside Tesla's 3G plan coverage in the World?

Predrag Chemerikikj, Macedonia

There are other threads about this. Several people don't like it but it's intentional behavior.