Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a lot of reviews, including the ones you mentioned. Google wifi did not come out on top. It was about in the middle. However I still chose google wifi for cost and ease of use. Ive had it about 6 months and it works just fine for my use at home. I have 32 devices connected at the moment..FWIW
I finally understand how my network works thanks to you. My Nests and my Savant devices are looking for their old SSID and password. And once Google has the same it’s all on my network. My devices don’t care where the access points are they just want the SSID and password. I like the Google mesh network in particular because the set up is way easier for me than a NETGEAR extender. Thanks to you and Whatthe.

Reactions: whatthe2
Appreciate the feedback. I currently have a non-mesh TP-Link that works okay but would like better coverage throughout the house and out to the car that's parked outside my garage. I'm using an extender in the garage but the signal is still weak. My other concern is that the TP-Link router currently has 4 ethernet ports that I use to hardwire some high bandwidth devices and it is working great for that. With these mesh routers, I appear to be losing those ports.
That's correct. Google WiFi only has two ports, so you'd have to hang a switch off of one of them. Or, just connect Google WiFi to your TP-Link. That's what I did with my Netgear since I already had multiple devices hardwired to it. Then I simply turned off the radios on the Netgear. Works great and now I much much better coverage, especially to my Model 3 in the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: 9erDog
I finally understand how my network works thanks to you.
I'm glad to hear that you have your network sorted out now, but I found it remarkable that you had such a complicated one before the basics were understood. I suppose it means that cookbook instructions can take someone pretty far.

I'm tempted by a mesh network too but since my current arrangement with an Apple extreme router and a 60 Mbps connection is working well inside the house in the areas we most frequent, I'll wait for the Google product to be upgraded to wifi v6 before upgrading to an every corner covered solution. And I know that an update reached my car so I should not tempt fate by looking at signal strength.

Question for you GoogleMesh folks: what is the daily energy draw of the devices ?

Last edited:
Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm glad to hear that you have your network sorted out now, but I found it remarkable that you had such a complicated one before the basics were understood. I suppose it means that cookbook instructions can take someone pretty far.
Thanks Sage. You’re absolutely right. The Joy of Network book I read was very helpful. My wife keeps her tattered copy of The Joy of Cooking next to it. But it is remarkable that an idiot like me could get the old network with Verizon router and a NETGEAR extender working with the exception of getting my car on the extender. Have a great day.

• Funny
Thanks Sage. You’re absolutely right. The Joy of Network book I read was very helpful. My wife keeps her tattered copy of The Joy of Cooking next to it. But it is remarkable that an idiot like me could get the old network with Verizon router and a NETGEAR extender working with the exception of getting my car on the extender. Have a great day.

I finally understand how my network works thanks to you. My Nests and my Savant devices are looking for their old SSID and password. And once Google has the same it’s all on my network. My devices don’t care where the access points are they just want the SSID and password. I like the Google mesh network in particular because the set up is way easier for me than a NETGEAR extender. Thanks to you and Whatthe.

Fantastic. Glad you got it all working. My first month of owning google wifi, i was looking at the traffic all the time. It was entertaining..lol
Also cool to check and see when my Tesla downloads/uploads info to the mothership.

I'm tempted by a mesh network too but since my current arrangement with an Apple extreme router and a 60 Mbps connection is working well inside the house in the areas we most frequent, I'll wait for the Google product to be upgraded to wifi v6 before upgrading to an every corner covered solution. And I know that an update reached my car so I should not tempt fate by looking at signal strength.

Question for you GoogleMesh folks: what is the daily energy draw of the devices ?

Power draw is 2-3 watts, 40-60 milliamps

Barely anything.

• Informative
Fantastic. Glad you got it all working. My first month of owning google wifi, i was looking at the traffic all the time. It was entertaining..lol
Also cool to check and see when my Tesla downloads/uploads info to the mothership.
BTW I got new firmware this morning. 2019.8.3. I’ve looked everywhere to find an answer. This version says 5% more power. Not sure exactly what that means, but I’m really curious as to what the net horsepower my 3 now has. Any thoughts? Thanks very much Spud.

IF you search this forum, there are some discussion about it. In short it means they tested the electric motors over millions of miles and they feel they can boost the performance of your electric motors by 5% for more horsepower.. kudos...
Can’t find anything. I’ll do a Google search and see what comes up. Thanks Spud.

Just to return to the OP's initial problem. Teslas prior to Feb 2018 did not support the 5GHz wifi network band. Cars manufactured after that date support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. However, the latest wifi standard is 802.11ac and only works on the 5GHz spectrum.

If a network extender is either restricted to extending only the 5GHz band - either through limited functionality or the way it's configured - then those non 5GHz supporting Teslas won't see it.

One last side note, never leave multiple wifi routers with network enabled that you aren't using. Both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are shared public spectrums. Leaving unused wireless networks enabled just means you're putting extra noise in the radio waves and ultimately interfering with your own valid network(s).

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and 9erDog
Just to return to the OP's initial problem. Teslas prior to Feb 2018 did not support the 5GHz wifi network band. Cars manufactured after that date support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. However, the latest wifi standard is 802.11ac and only works on the 5GHz spectrum.

If a network extender is either restricted to extending only the 5GHz band - either through limited functionality or the way it's configured - then those non 5GHz supporting Teslas won't see it.

One last side note, never leave multiple wifi routers with network enabled that you aren't using. Both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are shared public spectrums. Leaving unused wireless networks enabled just means you're putting extra noise in the radio waves and ultimately interfering with your own valid network(s).
Thanks very much. My Netgear extender had both 2.4 and 5 ghz radios. My 3 is a July 2018 build and Google Fi says it on the 5 ghz radio. So now my Verizon router is being used for my Nests and my 3 rooms of entertainment systems. All of those use the 2.4 ghz radio in the VZ router. All else in my house is on the Google WiFi. You really know your stuff! Thanks for your insight.