Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:). Agreed. But I'm anal, I like having the proper name. Or lack thereof regarding band I suppose.

luckily for me. My SSID has been the same for YEARS. Before 5.0 came out. So I got lucky that everything was set that way. Plus my cameras are mounted outside so it made sense for them to be on 2.4.

For kicks, when i turn on my google guest account, the SSID is called "FBI VAN". just to be funny.

Thanks very much guys. My wife is getting pissed at me for messing with the network. I’m going to have to call it a night. I’ll work on this tomorrow when she’s not here. For the time being FIOS WiFi is on. Nests are online. Google Fi is working great and my devices are all online. You guys are the best. Thank you thank you for all your help. I’ll report on my progress tomorrow. I feel like a dope, but it’s all working now.

Thanks very much guys. My wife is getting pissed at me for messing with the network. I’m going to have to call it a night. I’ll work on this tomorrow when she’s not here. For the time being FIOS WiFi is on. Nests are online. Google Fi is working great and my devices are all online. You guys are the best. Thank you thank you for all your help. I’ll report on my progress tomorrow. I feel like a dope, but it’s all working now.

No worries man. As long as you are happy.

Reactions: hcdavis3
luckily for me. My SSID has been the same for YEARS. Before 5.0 came out. So I got lucky that everything was set that way. Plus my cameras are mounted outside so it made sense for them to be on 2.4.

For kicks, when i turn on my google guest account, the SSID is called "FBI VAN". just to be funny.
I went down the path of dividing my WiFi connections between 2.4 and 5G radios (I work for a company that sells wireless solutions so am used to setting it up this way), so I'm so glad Google has made is super-simple to use one SSID. (Disclaimer - I'm the Sales Guy, not the Engineer, before anyone says it's better to use different SSID's ;)).

• Informative
Perfect. When you get time and not annoy the wife. Turn off the verizon wifi and name your google wifi network FIOS2-4 and use the same exact password and you should be good.

So if you name your Google WiFi to Fios 2.4, then everything connected to that WiFi will connect at 2.4 or 5, you will be good.

Beat ya! :)

Awesome Spud. I think I finally understand. There’s nobody better than you and Whatthe.

I wouldnt go that far.. lol Good news is that if someone else searches here for google wifi, they now have some extra information to consider.

Let us know how it goes.

You guys have any thoughts on Google Wifi versus Netgear Orbi versus Linksys Velop versus TP-Link Deco?

I went through a lot of reviews, including the ones you mentioned. Google wifi did not come out on top. It was about in the middle. However I still chose google wifi for cost and ease of use. Ive had it about 6 months and it works just fine for my use at home. I have 32 devices connected at the moment..FWIW

You guys have any thoughts on Google Wifi versus Netgear Orbi versus Linksys Velop versus TP-Link Deco?
Not specifically, but I will say I've been a fan of my NetGear router for a couple years, but the 5G signal couldn't reach my garage very well. After installing the Google WiFi mesh, I am totally on board. The ease of use is so much better than the NetGear and the coverage in my home is great. I would definitely recommend Google Wifi. The interface is sooooo much better. Orbi of Velop may provide the same as well, but the reviews I read state Google mesh is superior.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3 and 9erDog
I do wish google wifi was more granular in what it sees. I would also like a black/white list for websites so that my kids cant get to them. Im hoping for a future update. I had a net nanny wifi device that had all that but it was a PIA because the kids were trying to do things with xbox and minecraft that the constant bugging of wifi not working, i gave it the boot.

I do wish google wifi was more granular in what it sees. I would also like a black/white list for websites so that my kids cant get to them. Im hoping for a future update. I had a net nanny wifi device that had all that but it was a PIA because the kids were trying to do things with xbox and minecraft that the constant bugging of wifi not working, i gave it the boot.

I set up a separate SSID on my UniFi mesh for children devices, VLAN tag that to my Fortigate firewall and then turn on all the needed restrictions.

Appreciate the feedback. I currently have a non-mesh TP-Link that works okay but would like better coverage throughout the house and out to the car that's parked outside my garage. I'm using an extender in the garage but the signal is still weak. My other concern is that the TP-Link router currently has 4 ethernet ports that I use to hardwire some high bandwidth devices and it is working great for that. With these mesh routers, I appear to be losing those ports.