Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi & LTE connectivity & performance ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been discussed before but I was unable to find it... We have a 2014 P85D. Original: nearly impossible to connect to WiFi and 3G connectivity and performance were poor.

Upgraded to LTE as soon as it was available and this definitely helped on all. LTE & 3G connectivity is equal to or better than my iPhone though performance with the Tesla browser is still quite poor (most websites take about 3-7x as long to load as they do on my laptop using my iPhone as a hotspot (so loading full page, not mobile page). WiFi connectivity is still poor. A few weeks ago I mounted a spare Ubiquity AP in my garage ceiling and it still has difficulty connecting sometimes and performance is only slightly better than LTE.

Has anyone noticed significantly improved performance in newer cars? Particularly in light of apparently having newer chips with hotspot now? Tesla is working to turn its vehicles into Wi-Fi hotspots, introduces new chip and module

Any thoughts about the apparently new chip and v8 browser?

I was doing some speed tests this morning on my refreshed S I picked up yesterday. Max I could get out of wifi was 3Mb/s. LTE max was around 800 Kb/s. I imagine LTE is throttled currently. Dunno why wifi was so bad. That was about 20ft and in line of sight of a AP...

Chris

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here is the download speed using an HTML5 speed test. Done in my garage with the car (2015 S85D) and my iPhone 6sPlus on the same wifi network connection back to back:
Guess which is which lol

I can tell you this... My March build S, will latch onto a WiFi signal, and seems to drop LTE connectivity very very quickly. With 2 bars of LTE as I near my home the LTE drops in favor of my WiFi. Likewise this behavior happens often as I am driving around and the S "sees" other WiFi signals, some of which I have no password access to.

So in that instance, yes I would say the WiFi is very sensitive on the newer builds.

I am still on 3G, as I am not convinced about the real improvement I would get with LTE in my mountainous area. Browser sucks. The rest seems to be OK for me. My wifi router is about 60ft from my garage and the car catches, it the second I pull in, with a full signal. It drops the very second my windshield crosses my garage threshold when I pull out. I had originally put an access point in the garage for the car and seemed to have nothing but problems. I pulled it out and now have no problems. Go figure.

To revive a old thread....My car is a 2017 S100D and the wifi in the car will not stay connected to my home wi-fi.
I made a guest channel just for the Tesla and while the car see it and connects it will drop and not stay connected.

To revive a old thread....My car is a 2017 S100D and the wifi in the car will not stay connected to my home wi-fi.
I made a guest channel just for the Tesla and while the car see it and connects it will drop and not stay connected.

I recommend buying a WiFi extender. Netgear has ones that you plug into a outlet. Which work great and super simple to setup.

I have mine plugged into a outlet closest to my garage and then my car connects to that instead of the actual router itself. No WiFi connection issues.

I did an experiment when I ran my internet cable into the garage and placed the router so it was nearly touching the right hand rearview mirror (where the car's wifi antenna is located). Did not make a difference. I asked at the service center about it and was told that's normal. They car only hooks to wifi when it needs to be. Otherwise it just uses the 3G/LTE connection.

I have it on a guest network. But I may need a new router as I have to reboot the dang router every day it seems like

Make sure your guest network sets up a separate IP scheme (the third octet (first x) -192.168.x.x) should be different than everything else on your network. Sometimes they're the same and if that's the case, it won't make a difference.

I recommend buying a WiFi extender. Netgear has ones that you plug into a outlet. Which work great and super simple to setup.

I have mine plugged into a outlet closest to my garage and then my car connects to that instead of the actual router itself. No WiFi connection issues.
I just set the Netgear Orbi setup. Seems ok so far, but did get knock off once or twice. Not as often as before

Reactions: ahkahn
Make sure your guest network sets up a separate IP scheme (the third octet (first x) -192.168.x.x) should be different than everything else on your network. Sometimes they're the same and if that's the case, it won't make a difference.
Thanks....I have a NetGear R7500 and looking thought thee setup I cant see how to change what Ip address is used.
Since the car is the only one on that network and it is not on ATM I can't tell what IP address it has.

It may be a moot point as I was having issues with the car and my Wink hub and since I made the guest network it seems better.

Thanks....I have a NetGear R7500 and looking thought thee setup I cant see how to change what Ip address is used.
Since the car is the only one on that network and it is not on ATM I can't tell what IP address it has.

It may be a moot point as I was having issues with the car and my Wink hub and since I made the guest network it seems better.

The Wink hub definitely has issues with the car. Sounds like it's better now that it's on the guest network.