TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

WiFi & LTE connectivity & performance ?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectricTundra, Aug 26, 2016.

1. ElectricTundra

Feb 5, 2015
    I know this has been discussed before but I was unable to find it... We have a 2014 P85D. Original: nearly impossible to connect to WiFi and 3G connectivity and performance were poor.

Upgraded to LTE as soon as it was available and this definitely helped on all. LTE & 3G connectivity is equal to or better than my iPhone though performance with the Tesla browser is still quite poor (most websites take about 3-7x as long to load as they do on my laptop using my iPhone as a hotspot (so loading full page, not mobile page). WiFi connectivity is still poor. A few weeks ago I mounted a spare Ubiquity AP in my garage ceiling and it still has difficulty connecting sometimes and performance is only slightly better than LTE.

Has anyone noticed significantly improved performance in newer cars? Particularly in light of apparently having newer chips with hotspot now? Tesla is working to turn its vehicles into Wi-Fi hotspots, introduces new chip and module

Any thoughts about the apparently new chip and v8 browser?
  2. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Houston, TX
    #2 Pale_Rider, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    I was doing some speed tests this morning on my refreshed S I picked up yesterday. Max I could get out of wifi was 3Mb/s. LTE max was around 800 Kb/s. I imagine LTE is throttled currently. Dunno why wifi was so bad. That was about 20ft and in line of sight of a AP...

3. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

Mar 9, 2015
    definetly throttled. I only have LTE to access internet atm as I cannot get broadband where I live. It's insanly fast. Ping 25ms and download speeds exeeding 7mb/s sometimes. Better than my old broadband...
  4. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

May 1, 2015
    Gainesville, GA
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is the download speed using an HTML5 speed test. Done in my garage with the car (2015 S85D) and my iPhone 6sPlus on the same wifi network connection back to back:
    Guess which is which lol
  5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Sep 2, 2014
    Southern Connecticut
    I can tell you this... My March build S, will latch onto a WiFi signal, and seems to drop LTE connectivity very very quickly. With 2 bars of LTE as I near my home the LTE drops in favor of my WiFi. Likewise this behavior happens often as I am driving around and the S "sees" other WiFi signals, some of which I have no password access to.

So in that instance, yes I would say the WiFi is very sensitive on the newer builds.
  6. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Jun 24, 2014
    Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
    I am still on 3G, as I am not convinced about the real improvement I would get with LTE in my mountainous area. Browser sucks. The rest seems to be OK for me. My wifi router is about 60ft from my garage and the car catches, it the second I pull in, with a full signal. It drops the very second my windshield crosses my garage threshold when I pull out. I had originally put an access point in the garage for the car and seemed to have nothing but problems. I pulled it out and now have no problems. Go figure.