Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will all Model S Ravens get the range boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. Musk tweeted that all S/X made in the "last few months" would get a software update to enable the additional range, but unclear how far back is a "few months". Mine was made in in October as a 2020 model, so I hope it's included.

It can't all be just the wheels as X received a bump in range too without new wheels.

I don't think our May 2019 Raven will get the range bump...unless I swap out Slipstreams for the new wheels. I wonder what else they tweaked. Did they make the 2020 S lighter with the new thinner seats and maybe other material changes? Maybe Range Mode tweaks?

I'm going with all 2020 models that started last October :). 1/1/2020 does not seem to fit Musk's tweet that it was for all S/X made in recent months given that January 1st was only just over 1 month ago.
I hope your right, however in looking at the parts catalog you'll see many new revision of parts, so I'm still betting 1/1/20 as the build date.

If it was indeed as early as October, I don't know why he waited so long, or didn't make reference to it in previous investor call like he did in this most recent one.

I guess we just wait and see.

Reactions: azmodls
Question for those with a Raven version Model S. Let's say that Tesla does send out a software update that brings up your range from the original 373 to 380ish (Can't expect 390 if you're car isn't brand new based on all Tesla's always losing 10-15 miles from the initial rating after a month or two), will it make any bit of difference to you?

For me, honestly, 335 vs my 370 car, hasn't made an ounce of difference in driving habits, capabilities, distances, charging stops, etc, etc. And, my car, never saw 370, even on the day it was brand new with 5 miles on it. Then they revised them to 373. My car still only charged to 363. Now, 6 months later, it's down to 358.

At this point, I don't think any figure is that big of deal until they can get it to start with a "4". Then, psychologically, it will have an impact on many people. We have a pre-raven Model S and a Raven Model S, efficiency is virtually the same from the same 100 kwh battery. The Model 3 motor is supposed to be more efficient, but, at least in our case, haven't seen any measurable change. But, for me, anything over 300 is AMAZING. Beyond that, until it gets past 400 miles and I can start skipping superchargers on road trips, whatever the figure is has little importance to me. I still have to stop at all the same places I did with my prior P90D. Only difference is, charging is faster in the LR, so I do save some time there. When I can make it from L.A. to San Francisco at 75 MPH without having to stop, that's when I'll feel like we've taken the next step. Until then, couldn't be happier since it got over the 300 mark.

Question for those with a Raven version Model S. Let's say that Tesla does send out a software update that brings up your range from the original 373 to 380ish (Can't expect 390 if you're car isn't brand new based on all Tesla's always losing 10-15 miles from the initial rating after a month or two), will it make any bit of difference to you?

For me, honestly, 335 vs my 370 car, hasn't made an ounce of difference in driving habits, capabilities, distances, charging stops, etc, etc. And, my car, never saw 370, even on the day it was brand new with 5 miles on it. Then they revised them to 373. My car still only charged to 363. Now, 6 months later, it's down to 358.

At this point, I don't think any figure is that big of deal until they can get it to start with a "4". Then, psychologically, it will have an impact on many people. We have a pre-raven Model S and a Raven Model S, efficiency is virtually the same from the same 100 kwh battery. The Model 3 motor is supposed to be more efficient, but, at least in our case, haven't seen any measurable change. But, for me, anything over 300 is AMAZING. Beyond that, until it gets past 400 miles and I can start skipping superchargers on road trips, whatever the figure is has little importance to me. I still have to stop at all the same places I did with my prior P90D. Only difference is, charging is faster in the LR, so I do save some time there. When I can make it from L.A. to San Francisco at 75 MPH without having to stop, that's when I'll feel like we've taken the next step. Until then, couldn't be happier since it got over the 300 mark.

I agree that bumping hypothetical range up to 390 (well, 348 for the performance S) isn't a game changer, but I'll take it if a free upgrade comes my way.

Reactions: azmodls
390 probably won't make a material difference to me, but would be nice to have anyway - I'll take any range improvement. I came from a 2016 S 75D EPA rated at 259, so going to 373 with the Raven LR was a huge improvement. I can now skip some chargers that I couldn't before, and charge faster.

I agree it won't make much of a difference. Only hope I get it so I get close to the 370. Since my purchase I have never had more that 362 and on a slow slope down. Just over 6000 miles, purchased in August now around 353. Would like 80% closer to 300 than 280. Not sure if top end changes in the summer or not, still new to this. Would have bought it if it had only 285 range anyway!

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
Skoobie - I’m in the same situation. Got my raven S around mid September and the 100% charge was 360 miles. I’m sitting at 354 miles full charge currently. It would be nice to get a software update to get a few of those miles back although in the big scheme of things I rarely even use 300 miles of range. FYI the mileage estimate is a calculation and not dependent on weather nor driving habits

Skoobie - I’m in the same situation. Got my raven S around mid September and the 100% charge was 360 miles. I’m sitting at 354 miles full charge currently. It would be nice to get a software update to get a few of those miles back although in the big scheme of things I rarely even use 300 miles of range. FYI the mileage estimate is a calculation and not dependent on weather nor driving habits
I am getting 324 on 90% charge....629 miles on two week old car....I cannot charge to 100%......only to around 98% which is 365 by computation (100/373=98/x..solve for x gets you 365). ....battery seems to be capped at 98% .......I have used supercharge to 90% 4 times and my home charger once to 90%......I was very concerned at home because it took 7 hrs to charge to 90% from 32%........when I went out this morning, I heard a high pitched whine......don't know how long it was doing that but drove to store and back.....still doing it when I got home....after another hour it stopped.....I am stumped....is this kind of noise normal?

I'm going with all 2020 models that started last October :). 1/1/2020 does not seem to fit Musk's tweet that it was for all S/X made in recent months given that January 1st was only just over 1 month ago.

Elon said how much of the bump you get depends on how many of the hardware improvements your car has. (Since they were phased in over time.)