Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will autonomous cars be vulnerable while summoning/moving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for my English.
A car without a driver can become more easily subject of damage.

I believe that in the early years of autonomous car era, some people will express their views with anger.
I do not want to be destructive, but could it be a real problem?
Should an owner prepare for the situation, when his/her summoned car will arrive with a broken windscreen?

Yes, but people got used to cars parking on the roads.
Second,Traditional cars just objects. But a moving car will be more alive, more attractive to interact with.

And you will only need to cross his way to stop it. Nobody will ask you, to step aside.

I think unattended cars driving long distances by themselves might easily be a target for vandalism. Great gun target, no one to report the incident. In addition, if a tire blows out or some other mechanical problem makes the car undriveable, Tesla needs to be able to fix it and get it on the road without the owner present. Not to mention getting them through construction zones. That might require special traffic control markings or communications. There is a lot of work to be done before a car can drive itself cross country, and not just by the manufacturer.

Reactions: PianoAl
I agree with @deonb that a parked vehicle would be a more attractive target for a car thief. Sure, in theory, the summoned vehicle may stop for the thief standing in its way, but once the guy steps aside to try to open the door (which is locked), the car will drive away since the obstacle is now gone. Also, it would be easier to carjack a traditional car since the thief can threaten the driver at gunpoint to relinquish the car; an autonomous car would not likely recognize nor respond to such a threat.

Given that you can guarantee autonomous vehicles will have a bunch of cameras recording and transmitting the video, people had better be in disguise.

I think that most autonomous vehicles will also have cameras on the inside, because they'll be taxis/public transportation.

A bank office is also well equipped with cameras....yet there are many tries robbing it.
You will only need to put your backpack in front of the car to make it stop. There won't be any person who would take it away.
In this way, it will be very easy to cause a traffic jam. But this is another topic, but maybe it is more likely to happen.

I think there won't be any attempts stealing them, because they will be well tracked as they are these days.

I think there won't be any attempts stealing them, because they will be well tracked as they are these days.
If theft of the car isn't an issue, then what's your concern? That pranksters may hold up traffic by causing a car to stop in the middle of the road and there's no human in the car to exit the vehicle and move the obstacle out of the way?

And if so then do not you think that this could be a problem?
if a pranksters will block a car, who will 'rescue' it?

I think there will need to be some remote assistant capabilites enabled in the car.
Not steering the car, but to be able to send orders. Like: "mount pavement and bypass the obstacle" or "move forward and ignore obstacle".

And this obstacle could be a fallen tree, because of a heavy storm. Will the car be able to turn itself around? In a scenario where there will be ten other car around?
But this is another topic. This can be the new topic: "Autonomous cars in rare situations".

But I still have a concern about welcoming the cars as robots.
There will people, who will not like them in the roads and in their neighbourhood.

There will people, who will not like them in the roads and in their neighbourhood.

The old lady across from me will probably die of heart attack when she sees our car being summoned with no one in it and driving off and away all by itself.

But really, I think this will mostly be a non issue. At first it'll be a sight to behold, and it will draw plenty of attention. But the novelty will wear off and people won't be phased. There will be plenty of people pissed that summoned cars will be obeying all laws however...

What's to stop a pedestrian from bullying a non-autonomous car with you in it? Realistically people could do this now. You can't legally run them over.

From the article:

Pedestrians know that drivers typically have no interest in running them down. So why not simply step out into the street and assert the right of way? In part, because they also know that there is a small probability that the driver is inattentive, intoxicated, or sociopathic, or that the vehicle may be unable to stop in time.

But AVs are another story. they are programmed to follow the rules and watch out for pedestrians. “In turn, safer cars provoke a rational response by pedestrians and other road users. Secure in the knowledge that a car will yield, pedestrians can cross with impunity.”

What's to stop a pedestrian from bullying a non-autonomous car with you in it? Realistically people could do this now. You can't legally run them over.

But a non-autonomous car has a driver, how would probably react to a improper approach.
Driver-less cars will be robots, what will follow the rules. You will be able to do, what ever you want. If you have interest doing that. The owner will be miles away.
This is why I think earning money with autonomous car sharing via Tesla Network won't be so smooth in the early days.