TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Will Autopilot Work on a Road Like This?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by PianoAl, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Member

Simple answer, no. It’s not designed for roads like that. Lines or not.

2. Jenremoved

Jenremoved Member

Read the manual and make sure to not the myriad warnings about how to properly use autopilot. If you do, you’ll see that it’s not supposed to be used on the type of road pictured.

3. PianoAl

PianoAl Member

UPDATE: It worked very well, but it was often more stressful than just doing the driving myself. Sometimes I had a cliff on one side and a rock wall on the other. It probably wouldn't have caused a crash, but I usually intervened.

Sometimes it seemed to be going into curves too fast, and other times, it slowed down way too much. I had it on about 40% of the time, but I always had two hands on the wheel. I called it "riding the wheel."

• Disagree x 1
  4. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Yes, it is not intended for use on this type of road. It will eventually crash on such a road (or any road really...but these ones a lot more often!) if left to its own devices.

• Like x 1
  5. DrtyJrze

DrtyJrze Member

I paid the $7k agreeing with you that true FSD is far off. But for me it was worth it because in its current state it can handle most of my boring highway driving and day to day traffic situations.

So I can see the value in it now and you don’t, but it’s a win/win for both of us with OTA upgrade updates.