Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Autopilot Work on a Road Like This?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: It worked very well, but it was often more stressful than just doing the driving myself. Sometimes I had a cliff on one side and a rock wall on the other. It probably wouldn't have caused a crash, but I usually intervened.

Sometimes it seemed to be going into curves too fast, and other times, it slowed down way too much. I had it on about 40% of the time, but I always had two hands on the wheel. I called it "riding the wheel."

• Disagree
Reactions: Needsdecaf
UPDATE: It worked very well, but it was often more stressful than just doing the driving myself. Sometimes I had a cliff on one side and a rock wall on the other. It probably wouldn't have caused a crash, but I usually intervened.

Sometimes it seemed to be going into curves too fast, and other times, it slowed down way too much. I had it on about 40% of the time, but I always had two hands on the wheel. I called it "riding the wheel."

Yes, it is not intended for use on this type of road. It will eventually crash on such a road (or any road really...but these ones a lot more often!) if left to its own devices.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Well said, AquaMan. I feel more and more comfortable that I didn't fork $7000 for FSD for my SR+. I'm ready to jump in if FSD one day indeed works as promised, but I too suspect that day can be a very long time away, and not necessary due to Musk or Tesla's fault.

I paid the $7k agreeing with you that true FSD is far off. But for me it was worth it because in its current state it can handle most of my boring highway driving and day to day traffic situations.

So I can see the value in it now and you don’t, but it’s a win/win for both of us with OTA upgrade updates.