Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will creep keep car from rolling backward on steep hills?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did both brake and accelerator, but Tesla pops up a message to not do that. Trying to find the right amount of accelerator that overcomes the hill with ZERO roll-back, but doesn't ram me forward with only 18" wasn't easy to modulate. At all.

HOLD. If you have to wait an extra half second to keep yourself from accelerating into the car in front of you, so be it. This is a gravity problem, and not a Tesla problem.

My previous EV had automatic hill hold but didn’t have brake hold. I still had to guess the correct amount of pedal application to avoid rolling backwards. However a Focus Electric has a reduced acceleration from a standstill programmed in and that made it easier to avoid rolling backwards without blasting forward.

This is an engineering problem, which Tesla can solve. Or does it violate some laws of physics for an electric car to handle hills as described )?

I can imagine it could be more challenging to do for an ICE, but with an electric car, where everything can be instantly controlled - I don’t buy it.

Sure, but to claim that it's specifically a Tesla issue, when no OEM has really addressed it, is disingenuous. Most of us seem to do just fine with the Hold feature, though.

Creep does help. On a slight incline, you don't even have to leave the brake pedal... creep could move the car on its own. On a steeper hill, creep helps to overcome the threshold.. a little bit of force helps a lot. It is like having a spotter giving you a little touch of help when you bench press.

That's exactly why I have Creep On. If it's a steep hill Creep will still roll back but not as quickly, so you have more time switching pedals.
Even an ICE will roll back when it's steep enough. I think my Jeep has Hill Assist so it won't roll back.

But I agree, I think it should not roll back at all with Creep On or Off.

If it didn't roll back I would consider even having Creep Off.

Reactions: SergeyUser
When slow moving on hills I'll usually enable TACC, that takes care of it for me.
I prefer to be able to have the car roll back if I need. I use it all the time parking at home.
Drive up the sloped driveway and let the car roll back using the go pedal instead of brake to modulate reverse speed.

So, can you explain why you want your car to roll backwards when in Drive?

Yeah, when I need to maneuver slowly, especially on a hill, I like to let gravity do the work and control my movement with my brakes. That's one example. Rocking the car out of snow is a great additional example. There are lots of reasons I can think of.

Not long ago everyone driving cars in an Francisco was driving a manual transmission ICE vehicle.

Beyond this hill challenge, I've found myself at many a traffic light with a slight incline without hold feature activated. .. and noticed the vehicle was slowly rolling backwards I haven't rolled into anyone yet, but I would rather my car not roll back at all and avoid eventually getting stung by this behavior.

Beyond this hill challenge, I've found myself at many a traffic light with a slight incline without hold feature activated. .. and noticed the vehicle was slowly rolling backwards I haven't rolled into anyone yet, but I would rather my car not roll back at all and avoid eventually getting stung by this behavior.

There's a device in the footwell on the driver's side of your car that will prevent that. Try pushing it down toward the floor when you need the vehicle to slow, stop, or remain stationary. Especially in situations where you need to remain stationary in traffic or a traffic control devices.

• Disagree
Reactions: GoSharks
There's a device in the footwell on the driver's side of your car that will prevent that. Try pushing it down toward the floor when you need the vehicle to slow, stop, or remain stationary. Especially in situations where you need to remain stationary in traffic or a traffic control devices.
What a glorious example of the helpful forum at work.

Reactions: GoSharks
I have noticed that the (Hold) requires much less pressure to activate with creep off compared to creep on.
Most of time if I'm approaching slowly without using brakes I just press both pedals and ignore the warning message.

I find the modulation of the Tesla throttle to be perfect. I have a very steep driveway that is also tight. I need to let the family out of the car before pulling the car in. It's so steep my truck spins the tires trying to pull up it, and summons will not work.

I simply use hill hold when I get back on the throttle, I can move the car very precisely. This is something I must do it every day to that may just be my extra practice with it.

As for coming to a stop on a steep hill, light or sign, I do find it a bit jerky to get it just right. I tend to use TACC if there’s traffic, or just try to get on the breaks early without undershooting my stop. Nothing like being half a car length back lookin like a fool.

I drove a manual transmission for many years so this is still better then that on hills. It just takes time to get used to your car.