Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will first V3 Supercharger be in California? UPDATE: looks like Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight Show: Frankenstrusk 8 pm

Frankenstein-emerges-from-the-Storm.jpg

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Well, having V3 is all fine and dandy, but I would be happy enough if we could just get the black holes filled with standard SCs in some parts of the USA where it is impossible to travel by superchargers. Like between Memphis and Oklahoma City on I40, and practically all of North Dakota. They've been promising that since 2 years ago.

Reactions: skitown and kavyboy
Well, having V3 is all fine and dandy, but I would be happy enough if we could just get the black holes filled with standard SCs in some parts of the USA where it is impossible to travel by superchargers. Like between Memphis and Oklahoma City on I40, and practically all of North Dakota. They've been promising that since 2 years ago.

Those black holes are great candidates for v3 installations, since most of them are on long distance travel routes where high speed charging is most beneficial.

I don’t follow. Why is a V3 Supercharger more “beneficial” on long distance travel routes as compared to in urban/suburban areas?

Higher likelihood of a warm battery that can actually accept that level of charge. Also, urban charging usually involves visiting shops ... faster charging would be less convenient if you pair your charging stops with shopping trips. Finally charging in urban environments will get visited more by locals. Higher C rate for frequent local charging will result in more degradation.

Reactions: wyldtek
Higher likelihood of a warm battery that can actually accept that level of charge. Also, urban charging usually involves visiting shops ... faster charging would be less convenient if you pair your charging stops with shopping trips. Finally charging in urban environments will get visited more by locals. Higher C rate for frequent local charging will result in more degradation.
Urban charging is often done by people who have no home charging and they want to get in and out as fast as possible. Tesla firmware will control the charging so that the battery isn’t damaged. It would make no sense for the V3 Superchargers to cause battery damage. That would negatively impact Tesla’s warranty costs.

Tesla is going to be implementing a feature to pre-warm the battery when the nav destination is a V3 charger, so that could be done anywhere, not just on long trips. See https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-supercharger-v3-kw-capacity-efficiency/

Tesla is going to be implementing a feature to pre-warm the battery when the nav destination is a V3 charger

Is it only when it is a V3 charger, or is it any Supercharger? (The blog post only says "Beginning this week, Tesla is rolling out a new feature called On-Route Battery Warmup. Now, whenever you navigate to a Supercharger station, your vehicle will intelligently heat the battery to ensure you arrive at the optimal temperature to charge, reducing average charge times for owners by 25%.")

So that sounds like it is any Supercharger.