Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will H&R springs work with stock dampers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will H&R springs work with (or cause premature wear of) stock dampers? I added H&R springs to my BMW 328i coupe, but it was recommended I replace the stock dampers with Bilstein shocks and struts. I'm wondering if the same recommendation applies to my Tesla M3P.
You should definitely get upgraded struts with your higher-rate springs. The stock struts will not perform well for very long with the stiffer springs and you will be bouncing before long.

I have been driving a '19 M3P with H&R springs and stock shocks. Depending on your use of the car, I may or may not recommend it.
- H&R springs are GREAT for looks when combined with spacers.
- H&R springs are stiffer than stock springs with less vertical compression and extension so the H&R springs have a harder time damping movement if you keep the stock shocks. If you drive spiritedly, especially noticeable on hard corners where the pavement has bumps, the stock shocks cannot sufficiently damp the movement and the car tends to bounce around and twist as a result. Very scary when at the limit.
So, my entirely un-professional internet opinion is if you just want the looks, get springs and know that in some situations, you will not be in a good situation. If you want good handling, you could get upgraded shocks as well...but then you need to be a suspension engineer to pair the spring rate to the new shocks (or get adjustable ones and try out several settings). At that point, the additional cost and effort warrants just getting coilovers. They already have had the engineering and testing done (if from a reputable brand).

I have been driving a '19 M3P with H&R springs and stock shocks. Depending on your use of the car, I may or may not recommend it.
- H&R springs are stiffer than stock springs with less vertical compression and extension so the H&R springs have a harder time damping movement if you keep the stock shocks. If you drive spiritedly, especially noticeable on hard corners where the pavement has bumps, the stock shocks cannot sufficiently damp the movement and the car tends to bounce around and twist as a result. Very scary when at the limit.
So, my entirely un-professional internet opinion is if you just want the looks, get springs and know that in some situations, you will not be in a good situation. If you want good handling, you could get upgraded shocks as well...but then you need to be a suspension engineer to pair the spring rate to the new shocks (or get adjustable ones and try out several settings). At that point, the additional cost and effort warrants just getting coilovers. They already have had the engineering and testing done (if from a reputable brand).
This matches my exact experience with H&R coils before I went with MPP Coilovers.

Of note, I am not sure anyone actually makes stock-replacement, higher-Performance dampers that aren’t part of an overall package.

Reactions: tm1v2 and jmaddr
Thanks for the information. I am not looking for performance as much as looks, but my fear is that the H&R springs will cause premature failure of the stock dampeners. I received an email from an H&R representative when asked about this potential issue, and he said their springs are made to work with the stock shocks and struts. ???

This matches my exact experience with H&R coils before I went with MPP Coilovers.

Of note, I am not sure anyone actually makes stock-replacement, higher-Performance dampers that aren’t part of an overall package.
Indeed. I asked for a recommendation from H&R and was told there is not currently a matching set of shocks and struts for the Tesla with their springs. When I added H&R springs to my BMW coupe, there were Bilstein shocks and struts available and recommended to pair with their springs.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I wouldn’t worry about harming the factory dampers.

The ride doesn’t get too much harsher, but the car will bounce several times after larger bumps and undulations. Better dampers, like those that would come with aftermarket kits, are all about controlling such bouncing and controlling bump travel speed.

But yeah, $250-300 for coils is definitely easier to swallow than even the non-adjustable MPP Comforts. That is how I ended up with a set to start.

Thanks for the information. I am not looking for performance as much as looks, but my fear is that the H&R springs will cause premature failure of the stock dampeners. I received an email from an H&R representative when asked about this potential issue, and he said their springs are made to work with the stock shocks and struts. ???
As someone above posted, if you don't care about your performance and are doing this for looks you can deal with the resulting reduced body control at the limit.

A lower car means you need good dampening if you carry any speed at all through fast bumps in a corner.

I am sure that soon enough the aftermarket will have dampers available to match.

Reactions: tm1v2
@Enologuy The stock 2021+ dampers can't even dampen the stock spring rates when driving fast over rougher roads. There's no way anything good for performance will come from stiffer lowering springs on those stock dampers.

I've seen some lowered Model 3's bouncing after big dips and bumps on the highway where mine on Redwood coilovers just stays planted. I'm sure those bouncing ones were on lowering springs with stock dampers.

If you want the lowered look for cheap, and you're not into fast driving, then lowering springs will do. Just don't drive fast over the rough stuff. If you actually want to go fast this car needs upgraded dampers...which means a full coilover set since nobody makes a worthwhile standalone damper upgrade for this car.

Like @Lindenwood said though, I wouldn't worry about damaging the stock dampers. I expect they'll hold up fine, they just won't perform well.

I'm here because I am now seriously considering upgraded shocks. I have H&R springs on the car and it looks great, rides fine around town and I can still go over the majority of speed bumps and moderately steep approaches, but I do have to come in at steep angles for any kind of steep driveway or road approach. I have not scraped yet, but I am very cautious around those things.

Tein does make an adjustable shock absorber.

I took the car to the mountains a week and a half ago and there were some times when I felt uneasy about how the car was handling. It wallows and bounces when going quickly over undulations or uneven roads. Cornering was pretty good but the shocks seem pretty bad for how heavy the car is.

I'm here because I am now seriously considering upgraded shocks. I have H&R springs on the car and it looks great, rides fine around town and I can still go over the majority of speed bumps and moderately steep approaches, but I do have to come in at steep angles for any kind of steep driveway or road approach. I have not scraped yet, but I am very cautious around those things.

Tein does make an adjustable shock absorber.

I took the car to the mountains a week and a half ago and there were some times when I felt uneasy about how the car was handling. It wallows and bounces when going quickly over undulations or uneven roads. Cornering was pretty good but the shocks seem pretty bad for how heavy the car is.
Good dampers (well, matched Coilovers) will indeed fix this.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with a coilover upgrade over springs + stock damper.

I ran Eibach Pro-Kit + Stock Damper for over a year but experienced a similar experience mentioned here about bouncing around over perturbations on the street, and just a degraded performance as a result of the stock damper not being able to handle the increased spring rate of the Pro-Kit.

Upgrading to my current coilover setup (Redwood Ohlins Performance Sport) dramatically changed everything about how the car handles and rides. Obviously these are a bit on the $$ side for someone on a suspension budget but it is worth the upgrade for this vehicle.