Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Homelink work with non-wifi/MyQ garage door openers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always wondered what the Homelink naysayers would say ifTesla increased the base price of the Model 3/Y by $325 and included Homelink as standard.
They've already raised the price several times with no homelink.

The App opens your garage door. Obviously the car needs to be in or near the garage door to work today.
This is my favorite feature of homelink. At times I find it doesn't work when the phone don't think I'm near the house. In those examples, I need to open a Map app to update the GPS location.

A lot to parse, but as someone who has extensive Smart Home Integration I can tell you that the Homelink is worth it for users:
  1. What Tesla charges is peanuts. My wife's Subaru had a dealer option for HL ($500) and they replaced the stock mirror with a new mirror with HL. It was a pain to program, but I know the dealer did it because in compliance with NY law, they left the original mirror in the car.
  2. Having Tesla come and install with mobile service makes life super easy, because not only do they install the unit, but they do ALL the p-i-t-a programming for you.
  3. Others have already commented that having a separate device sucks for two reasons: batteries & it is an extra key to your home that can be stolen and/or cloned.
  4. I use the automated features daily from my MY. As I approach the garage the mirrors fold and the door opens for me. When leaving when I am about 1/4 of the way down my driveway, the door closes and then at 3/4 the mirrors fold open.
  5. I have the garage doors integrated into Apple HomeKit (with a home hack) which works ok to open them, but closing them, because it is WiFi, the light starts flashing and a loud beeper sounds and there is a 4-5 second delay on the close. Very annoying. Because the car is using RF instead of WiFi it doesn't trip that safety feature. I've used Stats to switch my Siri automation for opening/closing garage doors to use the Tesla HL module. I only use the WiFi for notifications if it is left open, or if I have to urgently open/close when I am away from the house.
The only bad thing I had happen was that it was having trouble sometimes reading the signal from even inside the garage and I'd have to tap to close it a couple of times. Turned out it was a bad antenna on the Opener, and not even a Tesla problem.

Everyone has covered this pretty well. I just wanted to add that the myq device can regularly be found on amazon for $15-20. If you want HomeKit integration you need a separate piece which is $60+. I’ve been fine without HomeKit, because I mainly use myq just for alerts that I left the door open.

Everyone has covered this pretty well. I just wanted to add that the myq device can regularly be found on amazon for $15-20. If you want HomeKit integration you need a separate piece which is $60+. I’ve been fine without HomeKit, because I mainly use myq just for alerts that I left the door open.
You can also install HomeBridge for free on an old computer/Rasp. Pi/Docker Container and not need the MyQ HomeKit integrator at all (which is $99 average)