Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I be happy with a complete base MS60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I "could" afford it now, however I am a financial advisor and like to practice what I preach. With that being said I may come into a promotion/position change that may instantly double my current income.

My wife owns her own business, so I am strongly considering leasing an MS60 its always been my preference, even a base one compared to a decked out Model 3.

Here is my dilemma, being that I plan on leasing, I can't bring myself to splurge on any of the option on a car that I won't be keeping. I even plan on going black my bottom of the tier choice for colors. (Solid white would be my choice even if it were not free). The only two options I care about in order are

Next gen seats
Followed by enhanced auto pilot (would only be for family trips/vacation drives to Disney for example)

The next gen seats I feel I would regret not getting, I live in S. Florida where it is an oven 365 a year.

I know first thing I would do is get spectra photo sync tints all around.

Tl;dr would I be happy with a complete base S60 in black, zero options?

Teslas tend to get driven a lot. Leases have mileage limits. As a result, the two don't mix all that well IMO.

I tend to think any Tesla is quite a bit better to drive than most of the competition, but there are some nice things in some of the option packages. What you'll be happy with probably depends on what you're expecting and where you're coming from.

Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
Given your criteria I recommend looking at inventory cars, especially ones with significant mileage. The price will be lower and you'll have a few more options, probably. That will make the lease cost lower. As others mention it seems almost all Tesla owners drive them more than they expect to. I certainly have. That is another factor to weigh in lease arrangements. Otherwise, given the driving habits you describe and your location, you probably can do well with a 60kWh. Several of my Miami area acquaintances have 60 kWh and have no problems. You'll plenty of range to go anywhere in the SE US and most of the rest of the country too.

You might want to join Florida Tesla Enthusiasts too. You cannot find better Florida Tesla information than you'll find there. You can just click on the link in my signature area.

Reactions: Ormond and Infoe
Just to clarify. I could purchase a 90d or 75d comfortably. I am just frugal. It's always been against my nature on a depreciating asset. My daily commute is 15 miles so this is very much a want thing for a vehicle that will have so little bit of miles. I just sold a 2011 year bmw 5 series with only 31,000 miles.

Just to clarify. I could purchase a 90d or 75d comfortably. I am just frugal. It's always been against my nature on a depreciating asset. My daily commute is 15 miles so this is very much a want thing for a vehicle that will have so little bit of miles. I just sold a 2011 year bmw 5 series with only 31,000 miles.

My commute is only 20 miles. My five month old X has over 10k on it - I'm driving it over twice as many miles as my previous cars. You'll probably be surprised how many miles you drive this car...

I, for one, understood that from your post. Frugality is not a bad thing! That is why I recommend and inventory model, you might end out getting, say, a 75 kWh without much or any extra cost, and more range is always better than less, other things being equal, but you always want to get the best deal you can, especially because few options have any value on resale. Larger batteries is an exception to that rule.

My commute is only 20 miles. My five month old X has over 10k on it - I'm driving it over twice as many miles as my previous cars. You'll probably be surprised how many miles you drive this car...
Similar situation except I have a work vehicle to commute in. 2 months and 5k miles. Sometimes I think the car odometer spins while it's parked.... ;)

I bought the car for the auto-pilot. So it's a must for me.

Agree with the more miles driven. For me it's about 37% more than in previous cars, and that number hasn't gone down with time. The next question is how far do you travel in a day? The EPA range is based on a range charge. However, you should do only a daily charge unless you need the range for a trip (90% of the EPA range).

I own a model s 60 2013 and a model x 90 2016.

I love both cars but can attest that the great drive is what sells these cars. All the options are icing on the cake. Driving with immediate power at a pedal stomp, zero engine noise really feels unreal. I find that it lower's my stress when I drive. Also knowing that I'm not wasting energy by idling intraffic and being able to keep the ac on while the car is parked has been other features that I love about my Teslas.

So I "could" afford it now, however I am a financial advisor and like to practice what I preach. With that being said I may come into a promotion/position change that may instantly double my current income.

My wife owns her own business, so I am strongly considering leasing an MS60 its always been my preference, even a base one compared to a decked out Model 3.

Here is my dilemma, being that I plan on leasing, I can't bring myself to splurge on any of the option on a car that I won't be keeping. I even plan on going black my bottom of the tier choice for colors. (Solid white would be my choice even if it were not free). The only two options I care about in order are

Next gen seats
Followed by enhanced auto pilot (would only be for family trips/vacation drives to Disney for example)

The next gen seats I feel I would regret not getting, I live in S. Florida where it is an oven 365 a year.

I know first thing I would do is get spectra photo sync tints all around.

Tl;dr would I be happy with a complete base S60 in black, zero options?

Seeing as though a vehicle is going to be a depreciating asset, I can't imagine why you'd lease it if you have the ability to outright own it. As someone else already posted, find either an inventory vehicle, or a CPO and take the plunge. If you get the lease, you're stuck throwing away cash for so many months. If you buy it and don't like it, you can always take a small hit and sell it.

Definitely find one with AP, and preferably the Tech package. If you have a short commute everyday and don't plan on doing any road trips, the MS 60 is perfectly fine. You'll be surprised at the amount of excuses you'll come up with just to take the vehicle out of the garage though.

If you are frugal find a CPO with the highest mileage you can find. Those cars are the best "deal" since you get a 50k warranty that is just like the new warranty. The CPO warranty starts at the mileage you pick it up at. The high mileage ones have already been through the steep part of the depreciation curve. The cars are very clean since Tesla refurbishes them.

I was able to buy a very nicely loaded P85 for $58k that is warrantied to 90k miles using the CPO program. That's pretty frugal in my book and I absolutely love my car.

For example: Here is an 85D with AP, silver, pano, subzero, upgraded audio, dual chargers and air suspension for $67,5
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H26FFP69565 | Tesla

Last edited:
Maybe a better question would be "which options are a must have". I tend to rank those based on how often I will leverage them. Seats are high on that list since you are in them every second you use the car. Things like the pano roof or upgraded stereo are likely much less important depending on your use case. Heck you can even hold off on activating autopilot. For me performance and range were priorities which pushed me into a CPO P85... as luck would have it, those tend to be loaded.

Maybe a better question would be "which options are a must have". I tend to rank those based on how often I will leverage them.

Great point, and essentially what I did. For me upgraded audio was the must have option since I listen to XM radio pretty much exclusively on my daily drive. (I drive through a remote area with no cell phone coverage to get to work). A "P" wasn't on my list, but that was the car that checked all my other boxes for the right price. Now that I have it, though, I wouldn't trade away that P for anything. :)