Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I be happy with a complete base MS60?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all. I will consider a CPO. As an aside you are never stuck in a lease. It is a contract like any other. You can always sell the vehicle. As long as you get the bank payoff or sbove you are in good shape. I have not turned in a vehicle back to the manufacturer after a lease in many years. I take great care of my cars coupled with low mileage, I sell them and always keep the small difference from the bank payoff or contract payoff.

I admit the same strategy may not work on the Tesla, have not researched that.

Seeing as though a vehicle is going to be a depreciating asset, I can't imagine why you'd lease it if you have the ability to outright own it. As someone else already posted, find either an inventory vehicle, or a CPO and take the plunge. If you get the lease, you're stuck throwing away cash for so many months. If you buy it and don't like it, you can always take a small hit and sell it.

Definitely find one with AP, and preferably the Tech package. If you have a short commute everyday and don't plan on doing any road trips, the MS 60 is perfectly fine. You'll be surprised at the amount of excuses you'll come up with just to take the vehicle out of the garage though.

As someone who just pulled the trigger on a new 60D (is it here yet?), I'll offer my slightly different approach. To me, this purchase was not a normal car buy decision. Perhaps I've fallen prey to Tesla's marketing, but what I'm buying is both a car and an experience. I'm buying a new hobby. I'd always had my eyes on Tesla the past couple years, am still skeptical of Elon Musk, but then I got behind the wheel of one a couple months ago (X 90D). Game changer for how I could drive and how it made me feel.

As a fellow finance guy, the numbers aren't going justify the 60 just like they aren't going to justify a P100DL. The entry price of new is already crazy, and of course you'll take a depreciation hit. Things that slow that hit are AP2 and recent facelift, meaning we probably won't see anything too revolutionary in the next year or two which would render late 2016/early 2017 cars wholly inferior. The 2014 AP1 cars carry more value in 2017, and I expect the same to hold true in 2020+ for recent purchases. The advice earlier in this thread about CPO is valid as well, but ultimately I decided on new because, "If I'm spending over $65 or $70k on a car, I shall get exactly what I want."

My order (is it here yet?) is just over twice what I've ever spent on a car. Options I wanted and why outlined here:

-60D - last minute decision to get AWD was more about acceleration than any need for AWD. Something about the lyric "0-60 in 5.2" from the old Alabama song "I'm In A Hurry" struck a chord with me. Not a finance decision. I could also afford the 90D comfortably, but there would be so few times I needed that kind of range that I could not justify the extra ~$20k. Based on the recent battery studies shared on this forum, 75 or 75D was never considered. Almost no value to me.

-Black - I genuinely wanted this color.

-All Glass Roof - Purely a feel decision. Why would I get my dream car and not have a wide open feel? I am moving from a pickup truck to a car, so I'm already sacrificing some visibility. Once I sat in one with the all glass roof and saw it was "only" $1500 more, it was a no-brainer.

-Tan Seats - For whatever reason, I can't imagine a luxury car without leather seats. I've always liked the Black/Tan combo. I considered the all white "vegan leather" option, but I worry about keeping them clean and how they might discolor over time (my own speculation).

-PUP - I was really on the fence with this option. For $3500 I don't find this to be a good value. The tipping point in favor was the ventilated seats. Even though folks have complaints, the Texas heat is a 9 month affair each year. I think a car in this price category should have this option. I ordered on the night Tesla removed this feature from the PUP and was able to confirm I'd receive them. If no ventilated seats, I would've skipped this option.

-AP2 - No-brainer decision for me to include this option. I wouldn't have bought one without it.

-FSD - I actually considered not including this option and upgrading at a later date, even if a little more expensive down the road. I think we're 2+ years away from meaningful application, so why should I give Tesla $3k in venture capital? Well...I want to have it when it's first available. Not a finance decision.

-Air Suspension - Skipped this option as I didn't think it would be used very much. I also speculate about higher maintenance down the road with an added moving part.

-Sub-Zero and HiFi - Neither of these are important to me, as I live in Texas and am not an audiophile who could tell much of a difference. If ever I want a sound upgrade, there is no shortage of aftermarket options.

The long-winded conclusion for me is that the entry price is not financially justifiable. If you can afford it (and you indicate you can comfortably), the decision to buy is about feel and experience. In my opinion, the upgrades from the entry price shouldn't be treated as solely a financial decision when framed in the context of a purchase which doesn't make financial sense. Get the options you would appreciate and ones that would enhance your experience in the car. Isn't that why you're buying it, after all?

End of rant (is my car here yet?).

As often happens, many people have forgotten to answer the original question

Of course, only you can know the answer to this question.
But my educated guess is... Yes.

I am also very frugal. I have no need for 0 to 60 in 2.x seconds. I only buy used.
But I believe in Tesla's vision, wanted to support Tesla, and my old car was on its last legs.
thus no time to wait for the Model 3.

My original plan was to just get the bare bones Model S 60D with Subzero
(AWD and subzero are non-negotiable in MN).
I would have been happy with that.

But then I thought about it. If I'm going to spend $70k+ on a car, I better love it.
When I test drove, the textile seats were "old generation" and I didn't find them comfortable
(the new textile seats are the new style)
thus: I added Leather Seats more for the shape/feel than the leather.

I also thought that the All Glass Roof was a WOW feature that I had to have. (I never opened my sunroof on my old car)
So I got that.

And I liked the idea of EAP. so got that.

I skipped Premium Upgrade, skipped enhanced audio, skipped Air suspension, skipped dual chargers, skipped Full Self Driving
I don't miss any of them

I don't drive very much. I NEVER drive more than 150 miles from my house. if I did: I'd fly.
thus I don't miss the 75 or 90 or 100.

Final build for me:
60D
Midnight silver (added cost)
Obeche glossy (added cost)
All Glass roof (added cost)
Next Gen Leather (added cost)
Subzero (added cost)

but I would have been happy with a bare-bones 60 D with subzero.

I'm sure you will. It's a great car but the hardest part will be keeping it base when you decide to order. My thought process went like this:
Have to have AP. Done.
Ok, before I click order I must get leather. Done.
Hmmm, That glass roof looks good. Add it.
I'm in NY , we get snow so make it a D. Ok now i'm really done!
Only 4 options but I just added over $10,000 Damn!
I resisted sub-zero. premium sound and PUP. I guess i'm proud of myself :(

Only 4 options but I just added over $10,000 Damn!

yep. that sounds familiar!

I remember thinking... "Well, with the tax credit and referral program I can get into a Tesla for under $60k!"

uhh....

no.

But I was "proud" of myself. my final price, off the top of my head, including taxes and delivery fee, minus the $7500 rebate was
$79,540.

So I made it under $80k.
and that 8 looks kind of like a 6.

so we'll say I did it!

Like you, I just got out of a 2011 5 series with 31K miles. I went the CPO route because I wanted the bigger battery and I knew I'd save money. I wasn't that concerned about AP. My 2013 P85 has pano, leather, tech, MXM tires and not much else. New it was over 100K. I got it for 57K with the CPO warranty and more than 5 years on the battery and DU. And the red is beautiful. I drive on business to Miami or across the state, so Supercharging is handy. Now that it's no longer "free" this makes my car even more attractive. Do I miss my 535? Nope.

Reactions: JPUConn
I don't drive very much. I NEVER drive more than 150 miles from my house. if I did I'd fly.
thus I don't miss the 75 or 90 or 100.
Funny, that's EXACTLY what I said in March 2013 when deciding what to order. I went with the 60 and maxed out on all the options. Guess what happened? The girl who said she'd fly drove her 60 EVERYWHERE. Tampa to Charlotte multiple times, Tampa to Miami, I even drove it to Boston. Fast forward to March 2016, when I decided I had to have max range and AP. My 90D was delivered May 25, has been to Charlotte 4 times, and to northern Indiana once. As of today I have 19,000 miles on it already.

Chances are you'll find yourself driving a lot more than you ever imagined...you've been warned!

Funny, that's EXACTLY what I said in March 2013 when deciding what to order. I went with the 60 and maxed out on all the options. Guess what happened? The girl who said she'd fly drove her 60 EVERYWHERE. Tampa to Charlotte multiple times, Tampa to Miami, I even drove it to Boston. Fast forward to March 2016, when I decided I had to have max range and AP. My 90D was delivered May 25, has been to Charlotte 4 times, and to northern Indiana once. As of today I have 19,000 miles on it already.

Chances are you'll find yourself driving a lot more than you ever imagined...you've been warned!

A few of us have tried to tell him. I don't know if I would have entirely believed it myself before I got my X. Tesla just makes it so easy. :)

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
I just picked up my 2015 85D yesterday with 10k miles. I went back and forth between a new 60D with AP, Subzero and Leather (those were the only 3 MUSTS for me) against a CPO with at least those options low mileage. My budget was low 70's. (Obviously with a new 60D with the tax credit, I would be around that). I ultimately decided on the CPO which gave me the better range, pano sunroof, obeche wood trim (which I really dig) over a new 60D with AP2.0. It was a tough call and I think I'd be happy either way. My CPO was in pretty good shape, some light scratches by pano black trim on roof. I don't have regrets and feel like I just got a brand new car. The jump going from an ICE to a CPO will make you feel your getting a new car anyway :). One thing I am disappointed in with the early 2015 models is the lack of a center console. Now I just spent $600 on an Evannex center console insert. Overall, the CPO cost me around $3k less than a new 60D. One thing to note that if your financing, with a CPO, you will need to borrow less and ultimately pay less interest than waiting for the tax credit (For at least the time until you get the tax credit).

If you can afford a base 60D, you might want to consider a more generous CPO with more options and better range. Again, I think either way you'll be happy though.

Last edited:
I bought a 60 with no options at all. I find it to be a totally satisfactory car. It's comfortable, faster than any Merc or BMW I've owned and quite reliable. Too bad you have to pay for white now.
I did that too. The only things I added were Autopilot and tan seats. I love the car. Honestly, while driving it I never ever think "oh, I wish I got this or that option". It's amazing as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my 60 for 3 years and 48,000 miles. I loved every single minute spent in it, even with no AP, no parking sensors, manual folding mirrors, etc. I just love my new 90D a little bit more...and she loves me (don't judge us).

I guess my point is, you will love the 60, but I'd recommend a CPO 85 or bigger with AP.

Reactions: Ormond and Saghost