Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I get FSD Beta if I do a subscription today with firmware at 2023.2.12?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried FSD last year for two months and for the first month, I was not able to get FSD Beta due to my firmware being higher than the FSD Beta's firmware.

After a gap of a few months, I want to try FSD again as V11 has come out. I am on 2023.2.12 and I see that both 2023.7.5 (v11.4.1) and 2023.12.10 (v 11.3.6) have FSD Beta available. Tesla is suggesting that I upgrade to 2023.12.9 but it doesn't have a matching FSD Beta release.

What will happen if I subscribe for an FSD again? Will I be upgraded to 2023.7.5 and get v 11.4.1 or will I be able to go to 2023.12.10 and get v 11.3.6? Any ideas?

What confuses me is the lower FSD Beta number (11.3.6) getting associated with the higher firmware version which I haven't seen before and makes me think that v11.4.1 is something different/limited release but I am not sure.

Thanks.

First off: Those of us who've been playing with the FSD-b have all been up to 11.3.6 for a month or so, based upon a "regular" load that was labelled 2022.45.x. That "2022" load was pushed out this last December and had all the bells and whistles that a normal Tesla load dated around that time frame contained. Like the usual Christmas package of goodies in the entertainment section.

Since then, the "regular" software loads have been trending upwards into (I think) the 2023.7.x branch, with various new bells and whistles (different font sizes, languages, and other minor but likeable improvements.). My S.O.'s car, which doesn't happen to have FSD, has all those new bells and whistles; the M3 I punt around with doesn't.

So, starting late on Sunday, I think, Tesla started pushing out a 2023.7.5 load that also had the 11.3.6 FSD package in it. Those that seem to have gotten this particular software package appear to be people who have a claim to get FSD-b, either from having bought it or subscribed to it, and whose main software load has a lower series number than 2023.7.5.

However, there seem to be reports that Tesla has slowed down the delivery of this load to the people who might want to get it. Um. In the realm of FSD-b loads, this isn't exactly unusual. Somebody-or-other reports a bug, autonomously or otherwise, and Tesla, using it's mindset of, "It had better be safe!" stops the deliveries. (Mind you: Tesla never comes out and says all this, or does so very rarely. It's mostly observation from those of us who've been hanging around for a while.)

One can easily hypothesize why. FSD-b probably has its hooks into lots of places in overall code base. Discovering some unwanted behavior with a mainstream 2023.x.x and FSD-b 11.3.6 wouldn't exactly be a surprise. It's known that Tesla often does Tesla in-house beta testers; then Tesla employees who've volunteered to be guinea pigs; then influencers who may have a more-or-less direct line back to Tesla; then the general public; and, at any stage, if Something's Not Right, they'll halt, fix whatever-it-is, then put out a later point release. They've also been known, occasionally, to go straight from one release to the next, so nothing's exactly guaranteed here.

Take a Tums and don't worry: You'll get it eventually.

Upvote 0
First off: Those of us who've been playing with the FSD-b have all been up to 11.3.6 for a month or so, based upon a "regular" load that was labelled 2022.45.x. That "2022" load was pushed out this last December and had all the bells and whistles that a normal Tesla load dated around that time frame contained. Like the usual Christmas package of goodies in the entertainment section.

Since then, the "regular" software loads have been trending upwards into (I think) the 2023.7.x branch, with various new bells and whistles (different font sizes, languages, and other minor but likeable improvements.). My S.O.'s car, which doesn't happen to have FSD, has all those new bells and whistles; the M3 I punt around with doesn't.

So, starting late on Sunday, I think, Tesla started pushing out a 2023.7.5 load that also had the 11.3.6 FSD package in it. Those that seem to have gotten this particular software package appear to be people who have a claim to get FSD-b, either from having bought it or subscribed to it, and whose main software load has a lower series number than 2023.7.5.

However, there seem to be reports that Tesla has slowed down the delivery of this load to the people who might want to get it. Um. In the realm of FSD-b loads, this isn't exactly unusual. Somebody-or-other reports a bug, autonomously or otherwise, and Tesla, using it's mindset of, "It had better be safe!" stops the deliveries. (Mind you: Tesla never comes out and says all this, or does so very rarely. It's mostly observation from those of us who've been hanging around for a while.)

One can easily hypothesize why. FSD-b probably has its hooks into lots of places in overall code base. Discovering some unwanted behavior with a mainstream 2023.x.x and FSD-b 11.3.6 wouldn't exactly be a surprise. It's known that Tesla often does Tesla in-house beta testers; then Tesla employees who've volunteered to be guinea pigs; then influencers who may have a more-or-less direct line back to Tesla; then the general public; and, at any stage, if Something's Not Right, they'll halt, fix whatever-it-is, then put out a later point release. They've also been known, occasionally, to go straight from one release to the next, so nothing's exactly guaranteed here.

Take a Tums and don't worry: You'll get it eventually.
1. 2023.7 doesn't have different font sizes. It introduced automatic steering wheel heater
2. 2023.7.5 is 11.4.1 and stopped over a week ago after starting the wide rollout past influencers and employees and it was a pretty minor update overall with some critical regressions. Elon said 11.4.2 is in the works and is currently overdue.

Upvote 0
The main version number is for the car's firmware. That version number never decreases. A version of FSDb can be associated with a firmware release, and I see no reason why Tesla couldn't include an arbitrary FSDb version into any given firmware update.

In general, you should never wait on Tesla with any given expectation. All you can do is position yourself according to the rule of "firmware versions only go up" and wait for something good to happen. If you want to entertain the notion that you could get FSDb 11.4, then just don't update your car's firmware. If you update to 2023.12.9, then you retain the ability to move to 2023.12.10, which links to FDSb 11.3.6. That doesn't mean that you will move to that firmware version, of course, only that it's technically possible. The next update available for your car might be the firmware for a different version of 11.3 or even 11.4. Only Tesla knows how things are going to play out.

Upvote 0
I just upgraded to 2023.12.10 with FSD Beta last night. It seems the roll out has begun.
FSD Beta 2023.12.10.jpg

Upvote 0
I tried FSD last year for two months and for the first month, I was not able to get FSD Beta due to my firmware being higher than the FSD Beta's firmware.

After a gap of a few months, I want to try FSD again as V11 has come out. I am on 2023.2.12 and I see that both 2023.7.5 (v11.4.1) and 2023.12.10 (v 11.3.6) have FSD Beta available. Tesla is suggesting that I upgrade to 2023.12.9 but it doesn't have a matching FSD Beta release.

What will happen if I subscribe for an FSD again? Will I be upgraded to 2023.7.5 and get v 11.4.1 or will I be able to go to 2023.12.10 and get v 11.3.6? Any ideas?

What confuses me is the lower FSD Beta number (11.3.6) getting associated with the higher firmware version which I haven't seen before and makes me think that v11.4.1 is something different/limited release but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP here. I pulled the trigger and subscribed for a month. The car upgraded to 2023.12.10 and got FSD beta!
Hi - just to confirm did you upgrade to 2023.12.9 before you subscribe again to get the beta? I have EAP atm and want to try out the beta. I am planning a long road trip this weekend, trying to figure I can still make it to drive 600 miles.... I am on 2023.12.9

Upvote 0
Hi - just to confirm did you upgrade to 2023.12.9 before you subscribe again to get the beta? I have EAP atm and want to try out the beta. I am planning a long road trip this weekend, trying to figure I can still make it to drive 600 miles.... I am on 2023.12.9
I'm not the OP but last night, I subscribed to FSD, I was on 2023.6.11, have had 2023.12.9 waiting for a long time. I installed 2023.12.9 last night and today around noon I had 2022.12.10 available and I installed it and took my first beta drive. Even though I updated after subscribing, you should also get 2023.12.10. I don't think it matters if you install 12.9 or not as Tesla can just push 12.10 even though you had 12.9 waiting but I just wanted to clear it out of the way.

Upvote 0
Well, FML! I just tried to go out for a drive and I seem to have lost power steering. Got "Steering Assist Reduced" warning. Can't turn the wheel. Car has 1600 miles.
My apologies if you've already done this, but do the two resets:
1. Hold both scroll wheels down until the screen goes dark. You can then let go until the display reboots and try again.

2. Under the Service menu, if memory serves, there's a "Power Down" option. Grab a book, close the doors, power the car down, then just hang and read the book for five minutes. Hitting the brake pedal brings the car back.

One, the other, or both will often clear anomalous behavior after a new release.. Especially, a major new release.

There's a third reset that involves lifting the rear seat then disconnecting the HV battery. Wouldn't suggest that one, though. Just ding Tesla on the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
I'm not the OP but last night, I subscribed to FSD, I was on 2023.6.11, have had 2023.12.9 waiting for a long time. I installed 2023.12.9 last night and today around noon I had 2022.12.10 available and I installed it and took my first beta drive. Even though I updated after subscribing, you should also get 2023.12.10. I don't think it matters if you install 12.9 or not as Tesla can just push 12.10 even though you had 12.9 waiting but I just wanted to clear it out of the way.
Got it, thanks. I just subscribed.. Hopefully get that soon, thanks

Upvote 0
No, I directly went to 12.10. As I mentioned, I was on 2.12 earlier. It was asking me to go to 12.9 but once I subscribed, it moved to 12.10

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0

Thanks.
I got it!

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
My apologies if you've already done this, but do the two resets:
1. Hold both scroll wheels down until the screen goes dark. You can then let go until the display reboots and try again.

2. Under the Service menu, if memory serves, there's a "Power Down" option. Grab a book, close the doors, power the car down, then just hang and read the book for five minutes. Hitting the brake pedal brings the car back.

One, the other, or both will often clear anomalous behavior after a new release.. Especially, a major new release.

There's a third reset that involves lifting the rear seat then disconnecting the HV battery. Wouldn't suggest that one, though. Just ding Tesla on the app.
Thank you! The resets worked. Warning is gone, and was able to take the car for a drive and experience FSD (without beta yet).

Upvote 0