Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I regret not getting a P3D-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you will grow used to many aspects of the Model 3, acceleration is the one thing that never seems to get old. Tesla is giving it away for $2k. They could charge $5k and folks would still pay for it all day long.

The thing I don't like is how shady they act about it. It is "off the menu". "Hey, talk to my SA and he/she can find you one". o_O It is so silly, just put a tick box on the AWD build and list it as AWD Performance Upgrade and let people order it. Why is it a secret?

While you will grow used to many aspects of the Model 3, acceleration is the one thing that never seems to get old. Tesla is giving it away for $2k. They could charge $5k and folks would still pay for it all day long.

The thing I don't like is how shady they act about it. It is "off the menu". "Hey, talk to my SA and he/she can find you one". o_O It is so silly, just put a tick box on the AWD build and list it as AWD Performance Upgrade and let people order it. Why is it a secret?

I dont think they really want people to order it (which is why its not a tick box). All of the rest of the stuff in the performance upgrade pack increases margin / profit on the car. Same reason the SR is off menu. I personally think the off menu nature of the Model 3P stealth is basically an advertising campaign... among the "tesla faithful" or "tesla in the know".

To me, its a two pronged thing. A way to upsell someone who was just going to get the LR AWD (thus more profit from that person) and also a way for viral marketing for people "in the know" to help their friends " get a deal".

Since its not available via tick box on the web, you either have to be reading tesla websites, know someone who has a tesla, or be dealing with someone in a tesla sales center who tells you about it.

Reminds me of the way that google "released" gmail back in the day. When I first signed up for gmail, it was invitation only... someone had to refer you for an invite (this was quite a while ago obviously). Mostly people in IT, referring other people in IT or close friends and family. Almost like the way "influencers" are considered now in the social media world. When I got a friend to refer me for gmail, I even took a little bit of good natured ribbing back then like "man you dont have one of these yet?"

Anyway, Thats my opinion on why its off menu, and what tesla's purpose for that is. At some point, when tesla's manufacturing process can handle variability more, I expect that more paint colors will be available, and that there may be slightly more "options" available. Companies like BMW have had a long time to perfect that process, and have so many options that its actually somewhat rare for BMWs to have the exact same set of options. Their manufacturing process is very impressive, from the just in time nature that things are installed, to the amount of data that is available during a "custom" order.

I dont think tesla will ever get to that point or actually wants to. Too many choices tends to make people hesitate, and not buy anything. Finding the "right amount" of choice is the goal. See retailer "Costco", who is very successful, as a retailer. They dont offer (for example) 20 kinds of jelly like a regular store. They offer 2, at a better value than you can get in a regular store (more product for less money).

providing consumers Lots of choice will end up being the domain of boutique car manufacturers imo.

Test drove one today and pretty much set on getting a model 3 LR with AWD. Have been driving "comfy" luxury sedans for the past several years. Been reading all the excitement here on the P3-, but don't know if going from 0-60 a second faster makes a difference to me. Certainly not planning on taking it to the track. The showroom advisor said the performance upgrade is $2K difference and showed me several available in stock. $2K is not that much difference on a ~$50K car, but in my situation, would I be better off spending it on a wrap, tinting, etc? Or will I regret not going for the P upgrade?
Where in Florida?

The feeling of having my face spread out and the skin on my arms being pulled backward at every interstate on ramp was well worth $2k.

maxresdefault.jpg

I just got my stealth P3 this week and am back from a 700 mile road trip. Having that power on tap is actually really relaxing, if I ever needed to zip past a wobbly semi on a Gusty freeway, no problem. It's hard to describe, but it is not just fun, it feels safer.

It's also a total pussycat to drive, ie you can pootle around all day with gentle acceleration, it's not like some ice performance cars that feel like they need to be thrashed all the time.

This is from someone who originally planned on getting a LR RWD for range. Delighted I went with the P3-.

Thanks for all of the replies! Based upon this thread, I pulled the trigger on a Blue/Black stealth this morning. Now the waiting begins...
That’s my exact car. Mine has the 19” wheels. I have zero regrets. Actually I do have one regret... that I couldn’t afford two of them.

Congrats, and let us know how it goes?

No brainer for $2K. Besides the ~second to 60, you get a similar sensation in passing/merging situations.

I'd also recommend getting the car completely covered with PPF. I've never considered this until this car. This is the softest and/or thinnest paint I've ever experienced. The plastic/rubber hose (not the attachment) from my shop vac slid against the little ridge at the bottom third of the front door. No weight. No pressure. No dirt/grit as it was just washed... I have 4 evenly spaced scratches from the ribs on the hose. I thought no way and that it it was just residue from the hose. Wrong.