Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will insurance replace instead of repair the rear bumper cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP states that someone "scratched the rear bumper cover." They are concerned about repair (certified shop) versus replace (tesla).

You claim that a certified shop doesn't repair, so there's nothing to worry about.

I say that's not true. You continue to defend yourself. I'll step away now.

Certified Shops and Tesla has the same repair manual. There is no difference.

I'm not defending anything. I read the manual.

I'm not interpreting anything. Its what the manual says.

Lastly. I'm not just responding to the OP.

Everyone, - you can call Auto Nation in Downers Grove yourself and ask them. Tesla certified body shops aren't making their own decisions about what is repairable and what isn't. They are repairing Tesla's for the benefit of Tesla not having their own shops. They do everything Tesla's way. "IF THEY ARE CERTIFIED".

You can't see the manual in this pic, but I was there watching them look at pic-after-pic ( Tesla's repair manual is 90% pictures ) and read step-by-step as to what Tesla says to do.

detail.jpg

I put a little red circle around the tiny .5 inch bend in the frame member which required them to replace the entire frame member ( yellow ). PER TESLA. - NOTHING was straightened out PER TESLA and the manual.

Below is a pic of the original damage.
no plate.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David L
Someone hit my M3 in the parking garage and scratched the rear bumper cover through the paint into the plastic (the cover is in one piece with no cracks or missing pieces). Sentry mode caught the accident but the resolution was too low to pull a plate number so I'm going through my insurance company. I stopped at the SC and they suggested I just replace the bumper cover, they have one in stock and could do it in a couple of hours. Only problem is my insurance company wants a body shop quote to repair it. I'm guessing that to come in around $600 while my deductible is $500 (replacement at SC is about $1,200).

Has anyone had any luck getting their insurance company to replace a damaged rear bumper cover instead of having it repaired?

Are there any talking points I could use when dealing with the insurance co to build my case for a replacement vs. a repair?

Depends where the damage is. If the damage is around the blind spot sensors, than it has to be replaced however minor the damage is. Cannot put bodyfiller or excessive paint build up over the sensors.

Slightly off topic, but an education opportunity, at least for me. What's the difference between a "bumper cover" and a "bumper"? I just thought we had bumpers!

Bumper - Metal part attached to the frame that actually helped stop the car behind me from penetrating into my interior.

Bumper Cover - Cosmetic fiberglass part that covers the Bumper. The cover is what we all see when looking at the car from the rear. If you look at my picture above...you will see that my white bumper cover got torn in the accident.

If you touch the back of your car...you are touching the Bumper Cover. If you press the Bumper Cover...you will feel the actual Bumper underneath.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
Someone hit my M3 in the parking garage and scratched the rear bumper cover through the paint into the plastic (the cover is in one piece with no cracks or missing pieces). Sentry mode caught the accident but the resolution was too low to pull a plate number so I'm going through my insurance company. I stopped at the SC and they suggested I just replace the bumper cover, they have one in stock and could do it in a couple of hours. Only problem is my insurance company wants a body shop quote to repair it. I'm guessing that to come in around $600 while my deductible is $500 (replacement at SC is about $1,200).

Has anyone had any luck getting their insurance company to replace a damaged rear bumper cover instead of having it repaired?

Are there any talking points I could use when dealing with the insurance co to build my case for a replacement vs. a repair?

If the place is good, they should be able to repair scrapes to the bumper in just a few hours. Ask me how I know! Should be around $600-700 + tax to repair. I wouldn't go through insurance if I were you.

Depends where the damage is. If the damage is around the blind spot sensors, than it has to be replaced however minor the damage is. Cannot put bodyfiller or excessive paint build up over the sensors.

The scratches are right over two of the sensors, so will use the excessive filler/paint interfering with sensors if I get push back form ins co.

If the place is good, they should be able to repair scrapes to the bumper in just a few hours. Ask me how I know! Should be around $600-700 + tax to repair. I wouldn't go through insurance if I were you.

I'm still holding out for a replacement, fingers crossed that the certified shop comes back with a replace quote rather than repair.

The scratches are right over two of the sensors, so will use the excessive filler/paint interfering with sensors if I get push back form ins co.

I'm still holding out for a replacement, fingers crossed that the certified shop comes back with a replace quote rather than repair.

Depends on how the scrapes are. Mine was scraped, and creased, and there was a scrape right above a parking sensor. My car was fixed in a matter of hours and looks perfect with zero crease.
NvyjoYTIR9yA6TY%oE4d4Q.jpg

There are "Bumper Medic" type places that specialize in repairs like this. Usually do it in one day, with fresh matching paint. They use heat lights and and plastic welding guns to make these repairs. Specialized on inexpensive repairs for people returning their lease cars with cosmetic damage.

Most Service Centers now keep a selection of bumper covers in stock. Many have factory paint in the various colors. Quick fix for them. Get you back on the road and looking like new.

Body shops also can fix these quickly, but they will use a paint booth and blend in the existing paint to the new paint. A higher level of quality.

Mostly depends on the extent of the damage as to what an insurance company will do. Often when the bumper cover is removed additional damage may be discovered. Can take repair costs up another notch.

No its not wrong.

I have my car at Auto Nation as we speak and I have had the opportunity to see the mandate by Tesla that precedes every repair job. In short it says: Replacement parts only....no repair.

Show me document that Tesla puts out that says something along the lines of " just straighten it out" or " just bend it back".

I was informed by the Certified Tesla Body shop that a Repaired Tesla will still be as safe as a new one. Body shops have to pay Tesla a TON of money for certification and licensing to be considered a "Certified Tesla Body Shop" and that they would loose all of their investment in training and such if they don't explicitly follow Tesla's repair guidelines.

A repaired Tesla is a safe Tesla...if repaired by a Tesla Certified Body shop that wants to keep its certification.

Now...if you take your Tesla to my uncle Clarences' back alley garage shop.....sure - " He'll straighten it out and bend it back in place for ya".

This kinds of contradict your claim.
Got hit by another car, how bad is this kind of damage?