TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will Long Range save a little money

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aja2460, Jul 31, 2017.

1. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Woodinville, WA
    I drive from Seattle to Spokane ten or twelve times a year. A little over 300 miles. In both my S85 and my P90D Model X, I Supercharge in Ellensburg and/or Ritzville WA to complete the trip. With charging to 90 or 100% from home I'll need fewer kWh's along the way to make the trip.
    With paying for excess Supercharging will it save pennies or dollars?
    I can afford it either way, but just wondering.
  2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Jul 16, 2009
    It depends on your home rate, versus what Tesla charges at those stations.

I seem to recall Tesla's guesstimates price for Supercharging in WA to be pretty reasonable, like in the 8-12 cent range. They could of course change it, but I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference.

Of course, the bigger battery does also have better performance, a better warranty, better longevity, faster charging, and allows for more flexible charging. Most people won't NEED the big battery, but it has several notable advantages.
  3. chronopc

chronopc Member

Jul 8, 2017
    I'm thinking about getting the long-range battery. Not for the cost saving or performance, but for how much time it will save me. I plan on driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles quite a bit and the longer battery will allow me to only stop once instead of having to stop twice.