Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Long Range save a little money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive from Seattle to Spokane ten or twelve times a year. A little over 300 miles. In both my S85 and my P90D Model X, I Supercharge in Ellensburg and/or Ritzville WA to complete the trip. With charging to 90 or 100% from home I'll need fewer kWh's along the way to make the trip.
With paying for excess Supercharging will it save pennies or dollars?
I can afford it either way, but just wondering.

It depends on your home rate, versus what Tesla charges at those stations.

I seem to recall Tesla's guesstimates price for Supercharging in WA to be pretty reasonable, like in the 8-12 cent range. They could of course change it, but I don't think it's going to make a lot of difference.

Of course, the bigger battery does also have better performance, a better warranty, better longevity, faster charging, and allows for more flexible charging. Most people won't NEED the big battery, but it has several notable advantages.

I drive from Seattle to Spokane ten or twelve times a year. A little over 300 miles. In both my S85 and my P90D Model X, I Supercharge in Ellensburg and/or Ritzville WA to complete the trip. With charging to 90 or 100% from home I'll need fewer kWh's along the way to make the trip.
With paying for excess Supercharging will it save pennies or dollars?
I can afford it either way, but just wondering.
I'm thinking about getting the long-range battery. Not for the cost saving or performance, but for how much time it will save me. I plan on driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles quite a bit and the longer battery will allow me to only stop once instead of having to stop twice.