Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting… loaner model 3 sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 P100D model S and I got the vehicle will not start and other BMS errors yesterday so I was able to drive it to to the service center and they said it's a isolation prob and they're gonna do a full diagnostic on the lift today to find the actual issue.

Anyway they were super helpful and very nice and even gave me a loaner even though my warranty expired almost a year ago. Because I'm a tourist and am camping 1.5 hours away from the service center.

But it's a model 3 and I don't how y'all drive these things on the regular. Like I left at 90% and I'm driving 150 miles and I'm arriving at 13%. That's only like 35-40% on my car but it's damn near a full charge for this thing. Luckily there is 1 supercharger only 30 miles out of the way from where I'm going so it's not a massive detour but still I wasn't planning on using a SC at all for this trip with my car.

Also does anyone else have a problem with how UNINTUITIVE everything is with the operation of this damn car‽ FFS nothing is easy to operate and even the locks I gotta swipe the damn card to lock and unlock and turn it on what a massive PITA.

I hate to punch a gift horse in the mouth because this loaner is a thousand times better than me having to pay for a rental car and I'm super grateful for the shop to be kind enough to loan it to me, but damn I ****ing hate the model 3 the seats aren't even comfortable in thos stupid car. How do you people take this crap 😂🤔
Well, partly that's what you pay extra for with the model S (range)!! But also because you probably have an RWD model 3 which has the shortest range (and one reason the AWD M3 is more popular). As for being unintuitive, that's called muscle memory, for which you can blame your brain stem rather than the car. I've driven a model S a few times and of COURSE things are different .. bu I dont kick and scream that its a bad car.

As others have noted, the card keys are really only backup keys since the car has walk-away lock/unlock that works seamlessly with your phone (and, I might add, was only added to the MS in the latest refresh). As for "taking this crap", not everyone has the deep pockets to buy the MS, or perhaps you didnt realize that?

Reactions: rpiotro
The card thing is because it's a loaner. Normally you would pair your cell phone and remove all that hassle. Like many cars, it's a matter of getting accustomed to it. I don't find my model 3 a hassle, but it requires a bit of getting used to. Some things are subjectively better once automated and you're used to it IMO.
As far as range, you know it's a matter of how you drive. You probably have a RWD that has a relatively small battery? I don't feel my LR AWD has any range issues.
you can pair a loaner with your cell phone too. If you dont do it when you get in the car it will promt you to scan a ur code to temporary pair until you return it...
only annoying thing is that it doesnt carry over your spotify - but it will get your driver profile, seat positions etc. pretty slick if you ask me.

Well, partly that's what you pay extra for with the model S (range)!! But also because you probably have an RWD model 3 which has the shortest range (and one reason the AWD M3 is more popular). As for being unintuitive, that's called muscle memory, for which you can blame your brain stem rather than the car. I've driven a model S a few times and of COURSE things are different .. bu I dont kick and scream that its a bad car.

As others have noted, the card keys are really only backup keys since the car has walk-away lock/unlock that works seamlessly with your phone (and, I might add, was only added to the MS in the latest refresh). As for "taking this crap", not everyone has the deep pockets to buy the MS, or perhaps you didnt realize that?

not sure if that true. a modern RWD 3 probably gets more range while driving fast than a p100d....

you can pair a loaner with your cell phone too. If you dont do it when you get in the car it will promt you to scan a ur code to temporary pair until you return it...
only annoying thing is that it doesnt carry over your spotify - but it will get your driver profile, seat positions etc. pretty slick if you ask me.
Agreed. That’s what happened when I got my loaner from Tesla and it was seamless. So I don’t see OP’s issue here, either.

Agreed. That’s what happened when I got my loaner from Tesla and it was seamless. So I don’t see OP’s issue here, either.
If you have a "legacy" model S/X you don't have the cloud profile in your car so it wouldn't have anything to sync. I have both a legacy 2016 Model S and a 2023 Model Y, the MS just shows a local profile and the MY shows my cloud profile (email address).

Might you need to change to a "cloud profile" in the Model S?
No, there is no option to add it. Sometimes Tesla doesn't back-port/add "easy" things to the older cars. Cloud Profile, "Colorizer" and the update display when you are charging are a few examples

Typical "Legacy" Model S/X Instrument Cluster (latest 2023.32.6 Firmware):
1696085500243.jpeg

New Plaid/Refresh charging Instrument cluster:
1696085520532.jpeg

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have a 2014 P100D model S and I got the vehicle will not start and other BMS errors yesterday so I was able to drive it to to the service center and they said it's a isolation prob and they're gonna do a full diagnostic on the lift today to find the actual issue.

Anyway they were super helpful and very nice and even gave me a loaner even though my warranty expired almost a year ago. Because I'm a tourist and am camping 1.5 hours away from the service center.

But it's a model 3 and I don't how y'all drive these things on the regular. Like I left at 90% and I'm driving 150 miles and I'm arriving at 13%. That's only like 35-40% on my car but it's damn near a full charge for this thing. Luckily there is 1 supercharger only 30 miles out of the way from where I'm going so it's not a massive detour but still I wasn't planning on using a SC at all for this trip with my car.

Also does anyone else have a problem with how UNINTUITIVE everything is with the operation of this damn car‽ FFS nothing is easy to operate and even the locks I gotta swipe the damn card to lock and unlock and turn it on what a massive PITA.

I hate to punch a gift horse in the mouth because this loaner is a thousand times better than me having to pay for a rental car and I'm super grateful for the shop to be kind enough to loan it to me, but damn I ****ing hate the model 3 the seats aren't even comfortable in thos stupid car. How do you people take this crap 😂🤔

Easy - Turn it in. - Solved.

I've gotten a 75 as a loaner before and it was more powerful than this basic 3. Power and charging speed aside why does it start preconditioning the battery for supercharging 2 damn hours before I'm supposed to arrive there. My S it doesn't do it till like 15-20 min prior. How is it wasting power for that damn long? And it was 68f outside for the drives in question.

And even if you based opinions on the S they never gave out loaners less than a 75 because that was the market lowest config they only sold a handful of 60 and even less of the 40. And that 75 got more range and faster charging than my old 85 did so your argument is invalid.

This 3 that I have is the standard range plus which equates out to trash 😂🤷‍♂️

You have options. I don't know why you aren't using them.

one option is being grateful for a free car while your work is being done.
another option is turning it back in and renting a Bugatti.