Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

Will Model 3 be your first American car?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NO, had plenty of American cars. But having said that my wife's cars have been in order : Honda, Nissan then the last 3 have been Lexus. Looking back at all my cars (there have been plenty over 35 years of driving) ALL have been American. In the late 80's and 90's Japanese cars were just better. American cars took a while to catch up but I was planning on a BMW until the Model 3 reveal

My first car was a Merkur XR4Ti, a European Ford Sierra XR4i sold in the U.S. by Lincoln. After that, I've had mostly Japanese and German vehicles, but my Mercedes SUV's are all built in Alabama with 62% domestic content (AALA) or 42.5% (Kogod).

NHTSA has the official American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports:

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

You may be surprised as what is American and what isn't. An alternative index, which is likely much better is the Kogod School of Business Made in America Auto Index

The Tesla Model S scored 77.5 in 2013 and a Toyota Avalon scored higher at 81 and the Honda Odyssey as well as the Toyota Camera, Tundra, and Sienna was 78.5.

On the other side, note that the Cadillac SRX scored 32 and the Ford Fiesta was 22. The GM Spark is really low at 17. So what does it really mean to be "American" and what that really signifies is not clear.

Note that the Bolt's score is going to be pretty low. The Chevy Trax is a closely related vehicle and only scores 20 in the 2015 index.

Last edited:
Been a Ford fan for a while. But my recent purchase was a Honda Odyssey because they make really good family movers. It'll be refreshing to own a Tesla, but I just hope the early issues we encounter when the M3s get delivered won't be too bad.

I'm new to Tesla, but the Model 3 won't even be my first car made in that factory.

My first car was a 1980 Chevy Impala wagon, built in the GM Fremont factory where Tesla now builds.

My wife's first car was a 1987 Ford Festiva, designed by Mazda for parent company Ford, but built for the American market by Kia in South Korea.

After that, we had:
1992 Oldsmobile Achieva sedan, built in Lansing, Michigan
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix sedan, built in Kansas City, Kansas
1997 Subaru Legacy wagon, built in Lafayette, Indiana
1989 Subaru Justy, built in Japan
2001 Toyota Echo, built in Japan
2008 Toyota Matrix, built in Fremont - after the GM plant closed in 1982, it became the GM-Toyota NUMMI plant from 1984-2010.

So the Model 3 will actually be my 3rd car built at the Fremont factory, haha.

How do you define American Car? All vehicles built in the US now contain a substantial quantity of parts manufactured outside the US (including the Tesla). I guess "American car" could mean:

- Designed in the US
- More than 50% US content. (Would more than 50% NAFTA content count?)

Here's an odd relevant point - for years I worked at the Mercedes M-Class (also R-Class, now C-Class and GL classes) assembly plant in Alabama. The car had more than 50% US content, was assembled in US (including fab of the body-in-white)... reasonable people could differ on whether it is an American car. (I guess probably not, but almost all the labor content was supplied by Americans)... o_O

I have not owned an American car since 1973 - a Pontiac Gran Prix, Black with a White Landau roof! :cool:

All Euro/Japanese since then and I am delighted to be back with the US made Tesla!
  • Honda Civic CVCC
  • BMW Model 2002
  • MG Midget
  • Saab 900 Turbo
  • Audi 4000 Quattro
  • Mazda RX7
  • Porsche 911
  • Lexus LS 400
  • Range Rover
  • BMW X5
  • Lexus RX 400
  • Porsche 993

Last edited:
As a European I would never ever have considered any american car ever. In my country they are mostly seen (whether deserving or not) as trash on wheels with low build quality and way too expensive.

What cars have I owned:

- VW Transporter (1986)
- Daewoo Lanos (Korean) - suprisingly reliable.
- Renault Megane - Talk about euro-trash, the gearbox blew
- Daewoo Lacetti - (Korean) - very very very reliable and cheap to fix
- BMW 320i (1995) - Such a nice car.
- BMW 320d (2001) - Nice car with more niceness than the 320i. Expensive to fix diesel stuff
- Tesla Model S.

Personally I think the Tesla feels more European than most american cars, but it is a bit too big in Europe.