Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will new MY ride keep getting tougher?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about 3k miles on my 2023 model Y and it rides so rough so bumpy. It’s the only issue I have with the car. I traded in a 2016 Ford fusion and I didn’t feel the bumps like this.

Just wondering will it keep getting worse as I continue to drive?

My MYP and another member on this forum have both experienced a bit firmer ride after a few thousand miles on our MYPs. The dampers seem to be best when brand new, then drop off in ride quality. I rode in a friend's brand new MYP and also noticed that it was a bit smoother with only a few hundred on the odometer.

My own assumption was that it would improve over time as well, but it seems the opposite has been the case. 38psi in the tires is a good recommendation though.

Ride quality also improved after Spring arrived. When it was super cold, like 5F, ride quality was abysmal for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pianewman
My tires are 43 psi. I will try lowering. But it seems harsher than when I got it. I drove it all over the place this weekend and now it just seems way different t
And as the outside temperature increases your tire pressure increases. Same with the tires - as the tires heat up they in also heat up.. What might be 43lbs at cold may increase to 48~50 lbs as you drive.

Model Y will typically ride firmer than an economy car due to sportier handling plus wider low profile tires.
Economy cars often have soft shocks, smaller width tires and lower tire pressures.

Making it ride softer would also make it handle less well.

Simple to reduce the tire pressures to 38 psi and see how you like it.

Reports are that the more recent Model Y's ride smoother as well.