Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will non performance AWD ever get power upgrade option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any "nerfing" Tesla is doing is to deal with some of the downsides of using a permanent magnet motor (cogging, torque ripple, counter EMF). Some of this is explained in this video.
If you have any technical data to counter this I would love to hear it.

While I think that is realistic, he didn't provide any data to actually counter.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
This has been discussed a lot on this forum. But I got to thinking yesterday..... from a purely business perspective: If Tesla were to uncork more power in the P and AWD models, say 0.3 seconds to 60, it may help keep the ASP higher when the SR models roll out this summer. A 4 flat AWD model 3 would be very tempting for 56K. And a 3 second flat PAWD for 63K.
So my gut feeling is this happens this summer. TSLA needs to keep those ASPs up in order to maintain profitability, and this move would cost them nothing.

My theory is that Tesla is trying very hard to mimic a traditional car market which has many different engines and builds that produce a ton of different performance variables. Tesla's reality is that most of their cars could probably go 0-60 in under 3 seconds for half the price of ICE vehicles. One of their main investments points in their powerpoint slides for investors was the "platform", or rather the 4 wheels, two motors and a battery that can have any body put on top of it.

So... how do you make people feel like they can buy the "better" option when there really is only one-ish option? Gate the speed via software. One day this won't work anymore due to competition, and we'll either have insanely fast EVs, or some legislation to limit vehicles speed.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is that I think even the performance model 3 has some uncorking ability. Hell, I'd pay 5-7k to replace the rear motor with the type the model s has for some more off-the-line g's/pull.