Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will not save any money on "fuel" with PG&E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried running some examples using PG&E's calculator to estimate cost of charging my future model 3 at night at home (condo). If I purely charged at the low rate time (11pm to 7am) then it would still cost me ~ $50 per month (vs. ~ $60 per month of my ICE). And given at 110 volt connection, I'd likely want to charge a bit out of the low rate period as well.

Still a small savings, but not much. I am a bit disappointed by this. Am I missing something?

PEV Calculator
Something seems to be wrong with the calculator. No matter what amount of miles I drive per month I input, it's giving me the same electricity cost.

This thread is a rehash of another similar thread.
Cost to recharge Model 3

EV rate plans from PG&E have catches. It may work well for some, who don't have anyone at home during peak periods or can shift all loads (pool pump, A/C etc.) to off-peak periods. I won't repeat what I said there; just posting the link.
Cost to recharge Model 3
Indeed. I'm in Pacific Gouge & Extort land and I just "love" how people throw around numbers like 12 cents/kWh to charge in PG&E-land. Yeah, great, but you get really hosed on EV-A with horrific time and bands for what's considered partial peak and peak coupled w/horrific rates during those periods. And, they talk about shifting usage. Well, I'm already on a TOU plan: E-6 and do shift my usage, which doesn't have time and day bands quite as bad. I also have some loads where I cannot shift their usage.

Folks who live in areas where their bill is overall only 12 cents/kWh in total w/taxes and fees even with huge usage (e.g. over 1200 kWh/month) have it really good compared to us.

I haven't had time to respond back to another thread on this subject.

I tried running some examples using PG&E's calculator to estimate cost of charging my future model 3 at night at home (condo). If I purely charged at the low rate time (11pm to 7am) then it would still cost me ~ $50 per month (vs. ~ $60 per month of my ICE). And given at 110 volt connection, I'd likely want to charge a bit out of the low rate period as well.

Still a small savings, but not much. I am a bit disappointed by this. Am I missing something?

PEV Calculator

Don't for get the value of your "time saved" :)

Not going to the gas station anymore, and admittedly doing occasional supercharging, adds up really fast....

I don't think that's a problem right now. I'm only doing about 25 miles per day on average, and can theoretically fulfill that on a 110 v over 8 hours with some leeway.

I have to play more with the usage for other appliances, and see if there is a way to avoid going up in tiers quickly. But basically, they will screw you on the other end for a cheap night rate...

But also note that there may be higher charging inefficiencies at 120V compared to 240V, i.e. losses due to home wiring, the UMC, the charging system in the car. Some see as much as 20-25% losses between the kwh at the meter vs what actually gets into the battery. 240V has losses as well, but I think folks who have tried to measure see generally less than 5% and worst case scenarios below 10%.

Where I am it's 14.4 cents/kWh off peak for 12 hours overnight and weekends/holidays. However our regular gas price right now for the equivalent of a US gallon is 4.62. So 400 km is $56 gas or approx $8.65 for electricity. That's a substantial savings.

wow, that's really good rates. looks like In the right market you can save money on fuel !! Really impressed that they give you off-peak rates during weekend and holidays. Here in San Diego, we are charged 50 cents/kw to charge during noon-6pm, regardless of what day. Plus you get 12-hour off peak vs 5-hours a night for us. :O

If you spend only 60$ a month on gas, why bother having a car at all?

Go cycling. Or e-bike cycling.
I'm guessing you don't have too many mountains in the Netherlands. ;)

Here's the elevation change of my current ~10 mile (16 km) commute:
elevation.png

As you can see, it would be uphill both ways. :)

I used to ride my bike to work years ago but almost got hit by two cars in one day. I haven't cycled to work since.

Are people really buying these cars to save money on fuel? I didn't think that was still a motivation. The operating costs of a typical EV have always been very close to an ICE car. I think for many folks its more about environmental impact and technology. And of course environmental impact only works if you are solar charging. If you are using PG&E, the pollution they create to produce your electricity may be as bad as the pollution the ICE car creates.

Are people really buying these cars to save money on fuel? I didn't think that was still a motivation. The operating costs of a typical EV have always been very close to an ICE car. I think for many folks its more about environmental impact and technology. And of course environmental impact only works if you are solar charging. If you are using PG&E, the pollution they create to produce your electricity may be as bad as the pollution the ICE car creates.

Incorrect on both counts.

According to the EPA, the Model 3 LR will save $4500 in fuel costs over the average car over a five year period -- it's right on the Monroney sticker. Some save more (like me), some save less (like @N5329K). There may be people with very high average electricity costs and low gasoline prices who don't save anything or even pay more but that is an exception.

Also, the Union of Concerned Scientists has estimated that the average EV in the U.S. is as clean as a gasoline car that gets 73 MPG. Cleaner Than Ever: Latest Numbers Show Electric Vehicle Advantage Is Growing It is much higher in California because our grid is relatively clean. Solar is even cleaner and for many people, cheaper.

not true depending on the circumstances - at 0.12c/kwh you're talking about ~3c/mile to operate an EV. call it 4c to be generous. owning a prius that gets 45mpg, as long as gasoline is > $1.80 per gallon, you come out ahead with the EV. of course if you are on E1 and paying 40c/kwh at 400% of the baseline, things are very different. now gasoline has to be $6/gal before you come out ahead with the EV. i've purposely used one of the better ICEs - if your current car gets 30mpg, well, you're ahead if gas is > $4/gal. it was not so long ago that we had gas prices like that in california.

the other thing is that the EV needs essentially no maintenance. the only thing i ever had to do with my leaf was get a new set of tires and put in a 12V battery. never needed brakes, nor obviously oil. even the ATF is good for 100K miles.

if you want you can pay a little extra to PGE to only use solar electricity from their grid-tied solar farms.

the pollution from electricity generation is also a dubious claim. the efficiency of an EV is much, much higher "well-to-wheels" than for any ICE car. also, i don't know why people don't realize that it takes electricity to make gasoline. and then the gasoline has to be shipped to stations using diesel trucks. that's extra energy that's gone into the system to create the fuel for an ICE car that is never spent for an EV. EinSV has posted a good reference.

According to the EPA, the Model 3 LR will save $4500 in fuel costs over the average car over a five year period -- it's right on the Monroney sticker. Some save more (like me), some save less (like @N5329K). There may be people with very high average electricity costs and low gasoline prices who don't save anything or even pay more but that is an exception.

Also, the Union of Concerned Scientists has estimated that the average EV in the U.S. is as clean as a gasoline car that gets 73 MPG. Cleaner Than Ever: Latest Numbers Show Electric Vehicle Advantage Is Growing It is much higher in California because our grid is relatively clean. Solar is even cleaner and for many people, cheaper.
Interesting. Like the OP I ran the numbers countless times with my Model X using cheap FPL power here in Florida and my cost savings on fuel was around $70 per month. To me that is insignificant but maybe to others it is important. The $4,500 on the Monroney translates to $75 a month. Doesn't seem motivational to me.

Interesting. Like the OP I ran the numbers countless times with my Model X using cheap FPL power here in Florida and my cost savings on fuel was around $70 per month. To me that is insignificant but maybe to others it is important. The $4,500 on the Monroney translates to $75 a month. Is that a motivation to pay $10k for a Tesla Model X or S? No. But for a $40k Model 3 possibly but I doubt it. It still believe people who buy Tesla's are doing it for reasons other than fuel economy but thats just my opinion.

I should have clarified that I agree with the part of your post that many and maybe most people buy an EV for reasons other than saving $ on fuel.

It sounds like your savings of $70 per month is about average. Whether $4500 over five years is significant or not will vary -- may be less important for the average S/X buyer than for less expensive cars like the Model 3 but obviously it will vary from person to person.

PV+EV is awesome.

For grid use I suggest using the UCS map
http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/attach/2017/05/cradle_to_grave_update.jpg
which breaks out by region in the US since the range is large.

The problem with the 73 mpg number is that it uses a sales weighted average, meaning that CA with its NG and clean energy grid have an outsized influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
With SDG&E we do get totally screwed. At one time, with my first EV(Leaf) I was paying $0.06/kw. I basically drove my leased car for free. But with rate increase to $0.21/kw, I expect to save only $20-$30/month (with gas price around $3/gallon).

If you are planning on getting solar to charge your EV, you might want to see what's your top tier. If you are hitting Tier-3, you are might be better of using solar for just the home portion and use a second meter to charge your car. As per my calculations, about 1,000 miles/month on M3 with EV-TOU rates would cost me about $60/month. On the other hand solar on the house saves me several hundred every month. But I was heavy on Tier-3 and was using more than 1000KW/month... without the car.

So you need to look at both EV-TOU and EV-TOU2 options. If you talk to an honest solar company, they should be able to tell you which option works best for you.

EV Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

I am planning to put the entire house onto TOU because I'm not a heavy user during the daytime when NEM is generating at the highest rate. Fortunately, I also have charging at work, so the system I'm in the process of installing should cover both the house and the 3.

I believe SDG&E has tentative plans to transition everyone (except solar customers who opted to grandfather to their existing plans for 5 years) to TOU, with peak rates ending at 9PM, in a year or two. My understanding is that the grandfathering deadline for existing solar customers has passed on 7/28/17, but grandfathering to the existing TOU plan/times is still available for new solar customers activated by 12/1/17 and grandfathering to the existing tiered plan is available until 3/30/18. (Scroll down to schedule NEM-ST: Time-of-Use Period Grandfathering for Net Energy Metering Customers | San Diego Gas & Electric.) The deadline is part of the reason I'm rushing to install solar now.

Reactions: pk-sd
PGE does also have the same TOU plans for everyone. but this might be coming from the CPUC rather than the utilities. the CPUC really seems to want energy customers to see the connection between supply and demand, and thus, pay higher rates when demand is higher.

wow, that's really good rates. looks like In the right market you can save money on fuel !! Really impressed that they give you off-peak rates during weekend and holidays. Here in San Diego, we are charged 50 cents/kw to charge during noon-6pm, regardless of what day. Plus you get 12-hour off peak vs 5-hours a night for us. :O

Bear in mind that, with most TOU rates, when you switch from non-TOU to TOU your off peak rates go down, but your rates for peak use go up. So savings on offpeak charging will be somewhat offset by increased charges for existing electric uses in the home.