Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will passangers in rear seats get soaked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the canopy formed by the falcon wing doors when open will be about two feet higher than the front roof, will passengers in the rear seats get drenched in a blowing rain since there is so much open area between the two roof heights? I tried to get an answer from Tesla but they will not respond.

Since the canopy formed by the falcon wing doors when open will be about two feet higher than the front roof, will passengers in the rear seats get drenched in a blowing rain since there is so much open area between the two roof heights? I tried to get an answer from Tesla but they will not respond.

In my opinion, probably.

Bjorn I believe will be getting one of the first X's so he will make videos to find out. We hope.

Yes, in the same way they would in any other car if you open the doors to let in blowing rain.

With Falcon doors you open the one away from the direction of the sideways rain (the one that opens away from the rain's direction) and all passengers enter from that side. This is likely quite simple in a Model X, harder in other cars perhaps?

Excellent first post!

Would it have killed you to browse around and read a bit? This subject is as old as, well, the Model X prototype revealed more than 3 years ago.

Do you really think all the brilliant engineers at Tesla hadn't thought of this?

Rain doesn't worry me that much, wind is a more problamatic issue in my book. But Bjørn will definitely be able to test this thoroughly. He's moving to Bodø, which has something like 350 windy days per year.

(When I was in the military in Bodø, we destroyed several large car doors by carelessly letting go of them, and BAM, the wind folded them against the hinge.)

Rain doesn't worry me that much, wind is a more problamatic issue in my book. But Bjørn will definitely be able to test this thoroughly. He's moving to Bodø, which has something like 350 windy days per year.

(When I was in the military in Bodø, we destroyed several large car doors by carelessly letting go of them, and BAM, the wind folded them against the hinge.)
Well then, I guess we will finally have an answer to that question about whether the Falcon Wing Doors will allow the Model X to actually fly.

Bjørn, put this on your to-do list, OK? You might want to use a ramp to get a running start.

Depends on the angle. That said, seems like more of a huge canopy to block rain than to let it in.
& as I've said here every few months for years: I'll be HAPPY to start testing those doors in any and all conditions anytime. Difference now is, looks like I'll get my chance soon.