Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Radar cars be stuck VO if you cancel beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of cancelling the beta for now as I’m not finding that much use from it and it’s impacting my night autopilot pretty severely with phantom slowdowns. I’m wondering if I opt out if it will return my car to original or if I’m stuck with the Vision only.

Thinking of cancelling the beta for now as I’m not finding that much use from it and it’s impacting my night autopilot pretty severely with phantom slowdowns. I’m wondering if I opt out if it will return my car to original or if I’m stuck with the Vision only.
Great question! I requested out on Friday, via email (per the instructions), yet nothing has happened. Still on the 10.4 firmware. Maybe we have to drive as nuts/inattentive FSD users before Tesla will uninstall this @#!$

Great question! I requested out on Friday, via email (per the instructions), yet nothing has happened. Still on the 10.4 firmware. Maybe we have to drive as nuts/inattentive FSD users before Tesla will uninstall this @#!$
Ok so I’m not the only one thinking it, makes me feel better. Was it on your plaid? Didn’t realize they didn’t pull the radar from those.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
That is a great question and it's got me thinking of just backing out of even trying (I don't have it yet and I can't get my score above 97 due to driving in stop and go traffic so much). Just today for the first time since Safety Score started I rode as a passenger in a non-Tesla car. At first I thought they were driving fast, following too closely and turning awfully fast. Then it dawned on me that they were driving perfectly fine and that I'd been driving like a 90 year old for so long that regular driving seemed fast.

That is a great question and it's got me thinking of just backing out of even trying (I don't have it yet and I can't get my score above 97 due to driving in stop and go traffic so much). Just today for the first time since Safety Score started I rode as a passenger in a non-Tesla car. At first I thought they were driving fast, following too closely and turning awfully fast. Then it dawned on me that they were driving perfectly fine and that I'd been driving like a 90 year old for so long that regular driving seemed fast.
I will tell you with 100% certainty then you would lose it with the FSD beta. With the safety score if you even look at the brakes or use all of the regen braking it dings you, on the beta it doesn’t use regen really it sees a stop light and wants to get there as fast as possible and then brake really hard.

It is honestly cool, and eventually may get there. I’m not trying to rip it to shreds. It’s just the downsides are starting to out weigh the upsides for me. A lot of people may disagree, but if I were you I’d just reset and stop messing with their stupid game. Assuming that reset still works. Some people may have an issue with it, but I don’t think anyone could argue that their score system is severely flawed.

If your car is radar-equipped, there are only 2 versions of FSD: widely public release radar-equipped FSD and limited release Pure Vision FSD beta.

Thus, if you opt-out of Pure Vision FSD beta, your next default firmware update should be widely public release radar-equipped FSD.

But that's only in theory that we can assume for now because there's still a third public release Pure Vision FSD for cars without radar and who knows that Tesla might illogically do that to your radar-equipped car.

Last edited:
I will tell you with 100% certainty then you would lose it with the FSD beta. With the safety score if you even look at the brakes or use all of the regen braking it dings you, on the beta it doesn’t use regen really it sees a stop light and wants to get there as fast as possible and then brake really hard.

It is honestly cool, and eventually may get there. I’m not trying to rip it to shreds. It’s just the downsides are starting to out weigh the upsides for me. A lot of people may disagree, but if I were you I’d just reset and stop messing with their stupid game. Assuming that reset still works. Some people may have an issue with it, but I don’t think anyone could argue that their score system is severely flawed.
I concur.

Eventually everyone will lose RADAR. So maybe by leaving the FSD Beta you will get it again for a while?
Why not just turn off FSD in the AutoPilot menu? Then switch FSD back on or off if you want to try it again?
That way if a promising update comes along you could still it along with the other FSD testers.

Eventually everyone will lose RADAR. So maybe by leaving the FSD Beta you will get it again for a while?
Why not just turn off FSD in the AutoPilot menu? Then switch FSD back on or off if you want to try it again?
That way if a promising update comes along you could still it along with the other FSD testers.
@K5TRX I can’t speak for others, but for me, I prefer the ARNR/ANC function now provided in the production firmware release 2021.40.5.1 (over beta FSD) at this point…

Yeah maybe, I haven’t tried with FSD disabled to see if it uses radar, I just assume it doesn’t. I guess I’m hoping they’ll improve the vision based systems before forcing everyone on it. As it is now, it slows down pretty considerably at seemingly random times quite often. Which is kinda dangerous and pisses off people behind you, but more importantly annoys my wife so I end up unable to use it.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
But that's only in theory that we can assume for now because there's still a third public release Pure Vision FSD for cars without radar and who knows that Tesla might illogically do that to your radar-equipped car.
That IS the plan .. Tesla feel (perhaps correctly) that you are better off without radar as it is the source of a lot of phantom braking (so they say, and it does seem plausible).

If your car is radar-equipped, there are only 2 versions of FSD: widely public release radar-equipped FSD and limited release Pure Vision FSD beta.

Thus, if you opt-out of Pure Vision FSD beta, your next default firmware update should be widely public release radar-equipped FSD.

I think its correct in all practical terms.

I can't see an FSD Beta vehicle going off beta getting anything other than what the vehicle would normally get.

The only question is how much longer will Pure Vision be separate from Vision+Radar. I think Tesla themselves know that Pure Vision isn't at parity, and that's why there isn't a single release.

Reactions: dogmodes
That IS the plan .. Tesla feel (perhaps correctly) that you are better off without radar as it is the source of a lot of phantom braking (so they say, and it does seem plausible).

In my experience the vision+radar firmware I got before the beta was the best AP release since getting the car in 2018, and Vision only as part of the FSD beta was the most atrocious I've ever experienced. In both of the below I'm only counting AP experience while on the freeway.

Vision+Radar firmware during the "Safety Score"
Phantom braking -> Barely any moderate ones and no severe ones
Recentering at merge points -> was minimal
Smoothness -> Did well
Rain -> Did well
Autowipers -> normal level of sucky
SW Bugs -> Didn't notice any

Vision Only FSD Beta Firmware
Phantom braking -> Lots of moderate ones
Recentering at merge points -> was minimal
Smoothness -> Terrible during stop and go. It kept lurching
Rain -> Did terrible even to the point where it slowed down TACC due to weather.
Autobrights -> Forces them on at night so you have to turn them off each time you enable AP
Autowipers -> atrociously bad
SW bugs -> For some reason the automatic lights would have the lights off when I was using a manual wiper setting. Not sure if its 10.4, but it was in 10.3.X

• Helpful
Reactions: Chisale and jebinc