Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will software updates continue to be supported for those of us with hardware 2.5 model 3's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are we seeing the end of new features in software updates for the model 3 with autopilot 2.5? elon seems too focused on making his full self driving vision a reality, which is cool, but the feds may not be happy with fsd due to the history that autopilot has had accident wise.

In spite of the big boo-hah every time there's an accident involving a Tesla, objectively speaking I don't think "the history" suggests AP is anywhere near the accident rate of plain old humans. But, in any case, self-driving on freeways is here and now, I use it all the time. And honestly, I think it drives better than I do. It will gradually migrate to the streets. I can't visualize a sudden "FSD today" deliverable. Feds and everybody will be involved, it's clear it's where all cars are headed.

Not sure exactly how Tesla will do it, but it makes sense that within its limits, HW2.5 will get updates to make it better/safer.

Last edited:
Remember HW2.5 or 3 only affects the FSD portion of your experience. Everything else is handled by the MCU. So things like Netflix, sms, voice recognition, basically every other thing other than FSD would not be affected. I would say (admittedly uninformed and ignorantly) that what we know of today as auto pilot (TACC and lane keep) is pretty much feature complete with only optimizations coming for those with HW2.5

There are some features that those with HW3 but not FSD get, like stop sign, traffic come, and stop light visualizations, but those don’t have a material effect on AP or driving.

Remember HW2.5 or 3 only affects the FSD portion of your experience. Everything else is handled by the MCU. So things like Netflix, sms, voice recognition, basically every other thing other than FSD would not be affected. I would say (admittedly uninformed and ignorantly) that what we know of today as auto pilot (TACC and lane keep) is pretty much feature complete with only optimizations coming for those with HW2.5

There are some features that those with HW3 but not FSD get, like stop sign, traffic come, and stop light visualizations, but those don’t have a material effect on AP or driving.

HW3 is still having some effect on the backup camera (for some reason). Can see the frame-rate difference between HW3-equipped backup camera and HW2.5 backup camera a mile away. HW3’s is inferior, annoyingly.

Also, HW3-equipped cars were initially outputting video files in HEVC/h265. That’s no longer the case, but another datapoint.

are we seeing the end of new features in software updates for the model 3 with autopilot 2.5?

What new feature are you expecting for people that haven't purchased FSD? Basic AP only includes TACC and basic Autosteer. Everything else is part of FSD and people with that will get the HW3 upgrade. (Yeah, some people are in a grey area if they purchased EAP while it was available, which is almost FSD. My guess is that Tesla will either just upgrade them to HW3, after everyone that purchased FSD, or they will offer them a really good upgrade deal.)

So yeah, I wouldn't expect AP2.5 software to improve much going forward. (Just like AP1 software hasn't.)

Reactions: evannole
The software updates include many features that have nothing to do with autopilot or FSD. In the past few months we have seen new games, better windshield wiper sensing, a brake hold feature, sentry mode updates, lane departure updates, new voice commands, etc.

We will continue to see many new features regardless of whether the car has V2.5 or V3.

So I have AP2.5 but have this never ending NOAP free trial since I purchased the car in April 2019. I guess my car just missed the cutoff for HW3. Bummer.

I have two questions and an observation and looking for opinions. When FSD goes full throttle (who knows when) I am guessing my NOAP will go away?

Also, does anyone think that Tesla, once they are done with HW3 upgrades for those who purchased FSD, will allow for individuals to pay to upgrade to HW3. I honestly cannot see myself paying $7k right now or more in the future for FSD but would pay for HW3 so my car doesn't depreciate when I look to sell it in the future. Maybe say $1-2k upgrade for it.

Does anyone also feel like those who got HW3 in their car are getting ripped off with the FSD cost in that those with AP2.5 get HW3 and FSD for the same price as those who already have HW3? I know Elon and the Tesla site says HW3 is included with FSD purchase. Just a thought.

They still have updates going to cars prior to HW2.5. Not always delivering new features if the hardware can't support it, but they are getting updates.

Besides, the only difference between HW2.5 and HW3 cars (disregarding small changes as the Model 3 develops over time) is the AutoPilot computer. The media computer and display are the same. The sensors and cameras are all the same. The motors are the same. The windows are the same. The batteries are the same. Tesla can't do something like add rear cross traffic alert to HW3 but not HW2.5, because they don't have the hardware (rear side-firing radar for example). They also can do things like add a new stop mode (like they did with "hold") to both, since it has nothing to do with the AutoPilot hardware.

You especially don't seem worried about not having new FSD features, which should be most (if not all) of the difference. I'm not too worried about it.

Well, updates have added cones, trash cans, stop signs, road markings etc. to my, admittedly HW 3.0 car -- and I don't have FSD. So maybe they were referring to updates like that, which they aren't and probably won't be getting.

Happily, things like these don't help the driver in any way and are just eye candy. The eye candy didn't even fully come to Canada, all we see are cones and lines.