Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Supercharging shorten the battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my service center the same question and was told that any impact would be insignificant. I was then told that supercharging will likely have more of an impact on the battery cooling pumps which are working hard if you are charging from a low SoC allowing SC to work at full power. You can hear the pumps roaring.

Does anyone know if these are covered under the battery warranty or not? I suspect not.

While I don't know, specifically, if the pumps that run the coolant through the battery are covered under the battery warranty or the standard warranty, I will say that Tesla has been very interested in making sure that elements of the EV powertrain are as worry-free as they can make them. It wouldn't surprise me to find that, if extra supercharging stresses the pumps, they'll cover them.

I supercharged twice weekly for 2+ years. I range charge M-F to 252 miles which is a ~4.9% loss of range if you want to believe the numbers. 103k miles on the odometer.

I would not worry about it.

wow. 100 thousand club... Nice

almost there myself!! I supercharge at least twice a week and sometimes daily commute (and sometimes even twice daily). I also max range charge daily (I need to for my 200+ mile commute). 93k miles and still showing 250/251 on rated range at 100% so yea I'd say supercharging is safe. it's thermally cooled anyway to stay within safe ranges when supercharging so it doesn't really make any difference.

According to Jeff Dahn presentation, supercharging maybe better for your battery if your garage is hot. Basically, charging when hot degrades the battery and degradation is proportional to time and not affected by charge current. Since supercharging takes less time to charge it will degrade battery less than charging for hours in a hot garage.

Last edited:
He is also talking about temperatures that are not relevant in normal exposure (40C and up.) Additionally, he calls out the fact that Tesla has a coolant management system while Nissan does not. As long as the cooling pumps are working, I don't think heat from SC is relevant. That is why I would be more concerned about the impact on the pumps than the battery.

Thank you for this thread. I have asked these questions to Tesla representatives and the responses are polarized. I am GUILTY of charging at a SC close to my home, but I do so a odd hours and never when there are no empty stations. I've been worrying about the effect on my battery and now I am not.