Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will swimming pool chlorine ruin black seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We started swimming laps at a local pool about 3x a week. We towel off but get in with wet swimsuits while sitting on the towel. This leaves behind a layer of moisture on the seat that evaporates after 1-2 minutes. If we keep this up, do you think the chlorine in the water will ruin the black vegan leather over time? I read about sunscreen stains on the vegan leather but haven’t come across many threads on prolonged pool water exposure to the leather. Thanks!

The water from the swimming pool shouldn't damage the seats. The cleaning instructions for Ultraleather include sanitizing Ultraleather fabric using a 1:5 solution of water and chlorine bleach.

FWIW when I wiped down the seats of my Model Y with a damp cloth the water soaked through the fabric, into the padding. You may want to use a neoprene seat cover for the seats after swimming.

https://intranet.ultrafabricsinc.com/img/pages/care_and_cleaning/CleaningInstructions.pdf

Reactions: FatherTo1
We started swimming laps at a local pool about 3x a week. We towel off but get in with wet swimsuits while sitting on the towel. This leaves behind a layer of moisture on the seat that evaporates after 1-2 minutes. If we keep this up, do you think the chlorine in the water will ruin the black vegan leather over time? I read about sunscreen stains on the vegan leather but haven’t come across many threads on prolonged pool water exposure to the leather. Thanks!
I swim daily and have the same concern, but after 2+ years I see no issues at all with the seats. If you're at all worried and have access, just shower off before you head for the car. Bear in mind that that chlorine levels in most pools are pretty low (though I swim enough that my speedos rot in about 2 months lol).

Some sunscreen, will do a lot more than stain the vegan leather. It causes it melt or bubble up in warm weather, and Tesla won't fix it under warranty.

add a second or thicker towel.

Lots of pool runs for lots of kids and no issues with the seats. Also, just to be safe I don't let my kids wear sunscreen.

I swim every day and after 3 years jumping into my Tesla afterwards (always a bit damp) I've seen no issues with the seats. However, I also shower when I get out of the pool (the chlorine can also bleach your hair).