Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla disable my supercharging?

Would you take the Tesla on this trip?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps not instantly, but certainly painfully and within a few minutes.

04FDF54C-7A8E-4F8A-9FE7-633D658157E6.jpeg
Well, you could make the same argument against water, since you can drown in it (which I'm sure is painful as well). Doesn't mean touching water will kill you. Touching supercharger powered exposed wire will.

That is exactly my point. If you argue that, on a car that was in an accident, Supercharging is so dangerous that it has to be disabled, then how can you, at the same time, make the call driving the car safe? That makes no sense. Either Tesla decides that the car is unsafe or it is not. If it is not safe only disabling Supercharging is random. There is way more power going through the entire HV system while driving than from a Supercharger.
I think you are failing to realize that Tesla is not disabling the car, they are disabling the car's access to THEIR supercharger network. No different than race-tracks refusing to let cars with damage drive on them, but will have no say over whether you drive such damaged car elsewhere, not on their property. Heck, car washes refuse to wash cars which they suspect have damage, nothing wrong with that.

I think you are failing to realize that Tesla is not disabling the car, they are disabling the car's access to THEIR supercharger network. No different than race-tracks refusing to let cars with damage drive on them, but will have no say over whether you drive such damaged car elsewhere, not on their property. Heck, car washes refuse to wash cars which they suspect have damage, nothing wrong with that.
Some would argue the supercharger Network is synonymous with Tesla ownership, and disabling supercharging would be akin to crippling the car.

Some would argue the supercharger Network is synonymous with Tesla ownership, and disabling supercharging would be akin to crippling the car.
Not sure what your point is. You could argue flying synonymous with with airplane ownership (even more so that Tesla and supercharging) and yet if you buy a salvaged aircraft and fix it yourself, you have to spend a lot of money certifying it before you are allowed to fly it in the United States (and most countries).

I am a bit curious why you're asking our advice? You obviously got a very good deal on this 'salvaged' Tesla. You know that it will cost $xxxx.xx to get it certified by Tesla so that you have all the rights and benefits as a Tesla purchased vehicle. That amount, whatever it may be, when added to what you paid, is likely less than buying a used vehicle directly from Tesla. So, why be so rattled on your impending trip? You know you could be cut off by Tesla at any time, and rightfully so. So, how much is peace of mind worth to you? Clearly, if you like living on the edge - just assume you'll lose SuperCharger access on this trip and plan accordingly with the necessary adapters needed for the trip. Otherwise, pay the fee to get it certified and be part of this wonderful family called Tesla. Right now, you are on your own. Pay the bucks and enjoy the ride and all the upgrades that our coming our way... Certification is well worth it... That should have been your question... Have a great trip...

I’ve touched hot wires more times than I care to remember as an electrician. Don’t recall it ever stopping my heart instantly.

Exactly! And, that was alternating current. DC current causes the muscles to contract and will usually pop you away from it. Lots of people been hit by lightning bolts and lived to tell. Trust me, that's a lot more power! True, it's still dangerous, but I stand by my earlier - point if a car is wrecked so badly that it could short the power to the chassis, it's not going to be even salvageable.

I am a bit curious why you're asking our advice? You obviously got a very good deal on this 'salvaged' Tesla. You know that it will cost $xxxx.xx to get it certified by Tesla so that you have all the rights and benefits as a Tesla purchased vehicle. That amount, whatever it may be, when added to what you paid, is likely less than buying a used vehicle directly from Tesla. So, why be so rattled on your impending trip? You know you could be cut off by Tesla at any time, and rightfully so. So, how much is peace of mind worth to you? Clearly, if you like living on the edge - just assume you'll lose SuperCharger access on this trip and plan accordingly with the necessary adapters needed for the trip. Otherwise, pay the fee to get it certified and be part of this wonderful family called Tesla. Right now, you are on your own. Pay the bucks and enjoy the ride and all the upgrades that our coming our way... Certification is well worth it... That should have been your question... Have a great trip...

It's not that I want to be rude, but really, this is a "let them eat cake" statement if ever I've seen one. How about a little charity for the people who couldn't possibly afford to buy even a used Tesla from the company itself?

SeaDoc, you don't need to be afraid of superchargers - they really aren't as scary as you think they are and won't send more than the 3v pilot signal's worth of electricity without authenticating that the connection is OK and safe, and even then they ramp up power and constantly recheck the connection to verify safety - cutting back or stopping if anything unusual is detected.

You're also off by an entire "x" in your estimate, I believe the last price from Tesla was $10,000 to re enable supercharging.

Exactly! And, that was alternating current. DC current causes the muscles to contract and will usually pop you away from it. Lots of people been hit by lightning bolts and lived to tell. Trust me, that's a lot more power! True, it's still dangerous, but I stand by my earlier - point if a car is wrecked so badly that it could short the power to the chassis, it's not going to be even salvageable.
So if you were offered a choice to grab with your naked hand a leaking gasoline hose vs exposed supercharger cable, you think the risk is the same?

The supercharger cable carries no current aside from the 3v pilot signal, the leaky gasoline carries a risk of cancer among other risks. Weigh that into your decision, don't listen to scaremongers that want to make superchargers appear to be murderous.

SeaDoc, you don't need to be afraid of superchargers - they really aren't as scary as you think they are and won't send more than the 3v pilot signal's worth of electricity without authenticating that the connection is OK and safe, and even then they ramp up power and constantly recheck the connection to verify safety - cutting back or stopping if anything unusual is detected.
Your are right. The danger is a damaged car which will authenticate with the supercharger and then short the 400V to the car chassis or the handle, or simply melt some damaged wiring in the batter pack and start a fire.

The supercharger cable carries no current aside from the 3v pilot signal, the leaky gasoline carries a risk of cancer through absorption. Weigh that into your decision, don't listen to scaremongers that want to make superchargers appear to be murderous.
Uhm, it charger my car with 3V? Once charging ja started and there was a 400V wire exposed, you could electrocute yourself instantly.