Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Introduce Space X Starlink Internet on Model Y?

Will Tesla introduce SpaceX Starlink connectivity in the Model Y?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Starlink begins commercial launch in 2020 as does the Model Y. It would be a perfect way to test the satellite Internet. Teslas are spread across the globe as is the Starlink constellation. Paying $10/month for Premium Connectivity will pay for the constellation quickly. Plus, EM loves to vertically integrate. Maybe our cars will be using Boring tunnels soon too.

Likely a product sold by SpaceX to the entire world.
Could be a separate company?? Perhaps. Musk & other SpaceX owners will decide, I guess.

Another disruption and the telecos/cell/ISP companies/secret state will not like it.

StarLink Stations mobile or fixed or both?? It is a world wide product for sure. 8 billion users could use, right?
Just don't know how they will all get access, how they will pay, how it will be organized, business models, ... you get the idea

Last edited:
Hym, StarLink test with AirForce, sounds somewhat mobile to me.

“We are delivering high bandwidth into the cockpit of Air Force planes,” -Gwynne Shotwell

"The Air Force program, known as Global Lightning, started testing with SpaceX in early 2018 and used Starlink’s first two test satellites to beam to terminals fixed to a C-12 military transport plane in flight, demonstrating internet speeds of 610 megabits per-second, SpaceX Senior Vice President Tim Hughes said. That’s fast enough to download a movie in under a minute."

Musk's satellite project testing encrypted internet with military planes

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
As end users easy to over look the big commercial users,
ships, planes, hotels, data centers, internet shopping warehouses, ISP, cable, radio, cell phone companies, telcos ...communications is a very, very big business. As Elon sometimes describes it as "the world's nervous system".

Hym, StarLink test with AirForce, sounds somewhat mobile to me.

“We are delivering high bandwidth into the cockpit of Air Force planes,” -Gwynne Shotwell

"The Air Force program, known as Global Lightning, started testing with SpaceX in early 2018 and used Starlink’s first two test satellites to beam to terminals fixed to a C-12 military transport plane in flight, demonstrating internet speeds of 610 megabits per-second, SpaceX Senior Vice President Tim Hughes said. That’s fast enough to download a movie in under a minute."

Musk's satellite project testing encrypted internet with military planes
Mobile as in a car. Aircraft are a good application for it actually. The type of array antenna required could work on a ground based vehicle, but it's going to be cost prohibitive and unreliable for some time.

Starlink is not designed for mobile use. It would require a special antenna and that's not going to be designed into the Model Y or any other Tesla anytime soon.

Actually the antenna would work perfectly for moving vehicles or vessels. The antenna is approximately 16" disk mounted horizontally, or could be fitted into a roof. It definitely will not be installed in Teslas for at least two years.

You can mount an array antenna on a car roof, sure.
You could even integrate it with the roof.
Does Tesla have a need to do that? I doubt it.
Will it work in a tunnel? No
Phased array antennas have been around a long time. I've worked with them in broadcast TV. It's amazing what they can do in the right situation.
Now you could have a portable receiver in your frunk so that when you're parked up you can connect to Starlink and watch Netflix in 8k. That would be possible.

Reactions: Fiddler
Can you tells us more? Any technical details? Links?
The receivers are going to utilise a phased array antenna which is essentially an electronically steerable antenna. So it's got no moving parts but can track the (very low level) signal from the satellites.

Other then that, I don't think much in the way of technical information about the receivers has been released.

There's some technical information regarding the test satellites here if you're interested: https://apps.fcc.gov/els/GetAtt.html?id=185534&x=.

Reactions: DanCar
Elon could add the UFO antenna and a smart box to the cell tower currently used by cellular networks. Let Starlink talk to the cell towers. Then when he's ready start using a Starlink Cellular SIM in the newest cars and stop using at&t. Then the cars are talking to the same towers they were when on at&t and the towers talk to Starlink. Now Tesla owns the data and the carrier it uses. Charges Tesla owners if he wishes, or not.
And he still has Starlink talking to the UFO boxes like planned.

Elon could add the UFO antenna and a smart box to the cell tower currently used by cellular networks. Let Starlink talk to the cell towers. Then when he's ready start using a Starlink Cellular SIM in the newest cars and stop using at&t. Then the cars are talking to the same towers they were when on at&t and the towers talk to Starlink. Now Tesla owns the data and the carrier it uses. Charges Tesla owners if he wishes, or not.
And he still has Starlink talking to the UFO boxes like planned.
You think the mobile operators are going to let him use their towers and network?
Could happen, but probably won't.

Their towers? The carriers sold their towers off to primary tower companies years ago. There used to be Verizon towers and T-Mobile towers and when they needed a repeater in that area they had to negotiable with the other guy. That changed when they sold off their assets to a couple of tower companies. Now its neutral ground and they rent/lease space as needed.

Their network? You really think that getting airwave space if he wanted it would be "difficult" for Elon? Wow, how you underestimate that guy.

Their towers? The carriers sold their towers off to primary tower companies years ago. There used to be Verizon towers and T-Mobile towers and when they needed a repeater in that area they had to negotiable with the other guy. That changed when they sold off their assets to a couple of tower companies. Now its neutral ground and they rent/lease space as needed.

Their network? You really think that getting airwave space if he wanted it would be "difficult" for Elon? Wow, how you underestimate that guy.
OK I didn't know that about U.S network towers. It's nothing like that here in the UK.
I still maintain the networks are unlikely to cooperate if they see it as a competition.

Reactions: Akikiki
You are probably right about limiting competition or even access if they can. But there's always a competitor that is looking to get a leg up on their counterpart with a "deal" with a client. We are all just guessing here. I find it a little entertaining to sit around and pretend to guess where he's headed. But we really don't know.