Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla offer suspension upgrade ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the latest (as of April 2023) part numbers for new 2023+ Comfort Suspension components. These apply to US-built units only.

Model Y Long Range:

• ⁠Front Left: 1188363-00-H
• ⁠Front Right: 1188368-00-H
• ⁠Rear Shock: 1188463-00-E
• ⁠Rear Spring: 1188474-00-C

Model Y Performance:

• ⁠Front Left: 1188371-00-F
• ⁠Front Right: 1188376-00-F
• ⁠Rear Shock: 1188465-00-F
• ⁠Rear Spring: 1188475-00-D

----------------------------------------------

Helpful Notes:

• ⁠A MY LR owner could elect for a MYP comfort suspension to get a lower stance on their MY LR.
• ⁠Some have previously speculated that rear shocks or springs haven't changed, however looking at the catalogs and confirming with Tesla Parts, these are the latest revisions for US-built units as of April 2023.
• ⁠From a posting 04/26/2023 by another member, it looks like GigaBerlin builds have a newer part revision for rear hardware on the 2023 Model Y Performance. I haven't confirmed the 2023 MYLR yet, but would assume part changes as well. Again, only applies to owners taking deliveries built in GigaBerlin (and maybe GigaShanghai, can't confirm the catalog in Chinese).

credit to cr0001 on Reddit.
@AtlantaMCR , just so I understand, for the LR parts list are the Front Left and Front Right single unit parts, but we'd need to order two each of Rear Shock and Rear Strut?

I wonder if my local SC will order and install the 2023 parts on our 2021 LRY.

I wish more tesla buyers would test drive before buying. Seems like many do not. Maybe a phenomenon of being able to buy via a website? 🤷‍♂️. If there is no tesla store nearby, maybe rent a car for a day using one of the many car rental services like Turo , Hertz, etc.
For me, we did test drive. Twice actually. The first year I had no complaints about ride quality and found the stock Gemini wheels and tires quite comfortable with pressure at 38.

I replaced the tires after a year and did an alignment and now feel the ride is harsher. I could try going back to the OEM tire but I test drove a 2023 recently and wouldn't mind swapping OEM suspension parts for nominal cost.

Last edited:
@AtlantaMCR , just so I understand, for the LR parts list are the Front Left and Front Right single unit parts, but we'd need to order two each of Rear Shock and Rear Strut?

I wonder if my local SC will order and install the 2023 parts on our 2021 LRY.
That’s correct about the parts.

From what I read on reddit, Tesla will not install these parts for you.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1
I owned a Model 3 from 2018-2022, and last year upgraded to a Model Y Performance. A year into it, my wife and I are both tired of feeling every bump, pothole, pebble, on the road. I got the performance bc it was the only thing available at the time, not bc I care about the speed. Now, I'm considering downgrading to a LR bc I've heard the ride is smoother.

Has anyone else done similar? Was it worth it? Or would this just be a waste and I should trade-in for an old/used X or get a non-tesla. Seems crazy that this $60k car is so uncomfortable to drive.

Fwiw, I think the Model Y is the perfect car if it had air suspension.
Get a long range and then get the accelleration boost upgrade. That will shave half a second off the 0-60. Almost as fast as P with none of the trade offs.

Get a long range and then get the accelleration boost upgrade. That will shave half a second off the 0-60. Almost as fast as P with none of the trade offs.
This is not accurate. Due to the different rear motors, the MYP does 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds reliably, and has a top speed of 155. Reports are that the Model Y LR with Acceleration boost gets about 4.4 seconds to 60 and still is stuck at 135 mph top speed. The Performance is rated at 455 hp, and the 479 lb/ft of torque. With the LR, your at 384 hp with 376 lb/fit. There is no software update to overcome those significant power deficits. The MYP is a bonafide sports CUV, the MYLR is just a quick one.

I owned a Model 3 from 2018-2022, and last year upgraded to a Model Y Performance. A year into it, my wife and I are both tired of feeling every bump, pothole, pebble, on the road. I got the performance bc it was the only thing available at the time, not bc I care about the speed. Now, I'm considering downgrading to a LR bc I've heard the ride is smoother.

Has anyone else done similar? Was it worth it? Or would this just be a waste and I should trade-in for an old/used X or get a non-tesla. Seems crazy that this $60k car is so uncomfortable to drive.

I dont think you will be happy with either. I have had 2 model Ys, and my current 2021 has Ohlins DVF suspension installed, with 19" Quatrac Pro tires. Sure, it does help to smoothen the ride, issue now is the road noice that isn't going away. Have put near 70k miles in the Model Y and its just unbearable compared to e.g. a typical Volvo XC60 or Audi Q5 - this is objectively with a sound meter. We are moving on..the model Y is a great concept, horribly executed and build quality / noise comfort is worse than an old Honda.

I'm not the only one that's annoyed / in pain sitting on a car that seems to try to break your back every time you run over a pothole, cc: @jjrandorin who seems to think I'm entitled, sure I'm entitled for a comfortable ride with the price I paid if you want to call it that.

• Love
Reactions: sleepydoc
So this guy on Reddit retrofitted the front damper assemblies plus springs-only in the rear and seems to have got good results. Is this the right solution?

1188363-00-H - front left damper assm
1188368-00-H - front right damper assm
1188474-00-B qty 2 - rear spring

I contacted my SC and they offered to supply and fit but the rear springs would be revision C and the front assemblies were revision E.

So my questions for anyone in the know:
- Are these the right parts to improve my 2020 Y?
- Is there a need to replace the rear shock as well as the spring, for a whole solution? I guess this depends on the unknown question of what Tesla really changed but opinions welcome.

Thanks

So this guy on Reddit retrofitted the front damper assemblies plus springs-only in the rear and seems to have got good results. Is this the right solution?

1188363-00-H - front left damper assm
1188368-00-H - front right damper assm
1188474-00-B qty 2 - rear spring

I contacted my SC and they offered to supply and fit but the rear springs would be revision C and the front assemblies were revision E.

So my questions for anyone in the know:
- Are these the right parts to improve my 2020 Y?
- Is there a need to replace the rear shock as well as the spring, for a whole solution? I guess this depends on the unknown question of what Tesla really changed but opinions welcome.

Thanks
He actually did the rear dampeners as well after having the above done. I did everything and am very happy with the results.