Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla punish their supporters, or refund $3,000?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fear I'm hosed for a different reason. I'm still waiting for the $1k difference between the $4k after-purchase FSD upgrade price that was in effect when I bought my car and the $5k after-purchase FSD upgrade price that the web site later charged me. Tesla has said in writing that they'd honor the after-purchase upgrade price that that was advertised at the time the car was purchased and, because the web site was configured to charge only the current price, they would refund the difference within 90 days. It's been five months for me and I've nagged them repeatedly for the $1k difference.

I fear now, however, that my request is going to be lost in all the noise that's surrounding this FSD pricing fiasco.
Keep nagging! My friend never got his wall connector for my performance order. Tesla just stopped responding to my emails. Since my friend does not seem to care I gave up.

Looks like Fred just posted an article about all this. Awesome:

https://electrek.co/2019/03/04/teslas-autopilot-bait-and-switch/
Great article. And Elon in his tweet alludes to the fact earlier buyers got screwed by his statement that he can’t make these early buyers “whole.”

Customer tweet: “I know being an early adopter comes with risks, but this one does not make any sense. Having to pay $8k for EAP + FSD when I helped make the product better by sharing all my data vs $5k for FSD now seems unfair.”

Elon’s response tweet “We’re trying to make EVs & autonomy more affordable over time. This is the right thing to do. However, we cannot then also retroactively make earlier buyers whole without killing the company.”

Problem is that Tesla is giving too large of a discount to those who did not buy into EAP/FSD. If it was a discount of $1k, there wouldn't be too much controversy, but a $2k-$6k difference like we're seeing now - they had to see this coming.
Problem is Tesla can give discount to those didn’t support them without problems.

Problems start only when they have to make thir supporters that invested in them “Whole”...

What bad was happen if instead, Tesla was making FSD $2,500, and giving previous owners $500 back???

What bad was happen if instead, Tesla was making FSD $2,500, and giving previous owners $500 back???

Right now they seem to be very cash strapped and do not want to refund any money...

Referral program -> gone!
Full tax credit gone -> reduce price of M3 to compensate
Brick and mortar stores -> majority going bye-bye
Demand not as high for higher end M3s -> start selling base model
Previous buyers who did not purchase AP or FSD -> offer up to $6k savings (since any money is better than $0)

Then there are price reductions we're seeing in the Far East markets - OUCH!!!

They are looking at every way to make some $$$ and I get it for such a young company. Still, the price they will pay is going to be customer loyalty for a percentage of their customers.

Reactions: C141medic
I'm not really mad about the price drop, but I *will* be annoyed if the rollout happens in a way that results in me getting the features later than others who got their cars and got FSD after me.

Agree 100% with this.

I also think the easiest remedy is right in front of us. Instead of $1k (or more) refund for the early FSD adopters, how about 3 TSLA shares? Closed at $285 today, so would be a bargain, no hit to their cash reserves, and since several people mentioned one rationale for the pre-pay was to support Tesla, it makes sense. I'm joking of course...just trying to lighten to mood, as this thread has a lot of angry elves in it. I don't remember the last time I saw so many CAPS YELLS and excessive punctuation in a thread!!!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby and C141medic
They don't owe you anything. You signed the purchase agreement, and that's it.

The last thing Tesla is going to do is "refund" $1-3k for everyone that bought the car. That will be the end of them as a company.
They do owe us.
It was written in the purchase that I’m buying FSD for $3k instead of $5k later.
This was the ONLY reason we bought it, since it’s not working yet.
This is wrong.
Had we NOT bought it, we actually been ended up paying LESS.
And that software is not even working today.

They don't owe you anything. You signed the purchase agreement, and that's it.

The last thing Tesla is going to do is "refund" $1-3k for everyone that bought the car. That will be the end of them as a company.

Uh- they'd only need to refund the people who bought FSD.

Which is a small fraction of only buyers from the last 2 years.

Probably not a very different # from the number of P3D buyers who got much larger $5000 performance upgrade package refunds from Tesla when the price dropped. Including all the P3D- buyers who didn't even BUY the performance upgrade package in the first place