Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The 2020 Roadster Have Some Form Of Sound?

Would you want your 2020 roadster to make some form of noise?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a video on the roadster thread here (forgot who posted sorry) and it was moving slowly (the red one) and it appears it was making a sound. Like a “swishing” sound.

It could’ve been a semi or something off camera creating the sound but idk.

If anyone knows what I’m talking about, feel free to drop a link. (Much appreciated)

But while we’re on the subject, does anyone believe it will make noise somehow?

Whether through artificial sound generators or actual mechanical noise? Or even something else?

I'm hoping to be able to customize the sound. It would be fun to see all the kids in the neighborhood come out when I drive by slowly with the car playing Turkey In the Straw (aka the ice cream truck sound).

This is a complicated topic, and I don't think I can vote a simple yes-or-no.

Do I want an artificial sound outside of the car to warn pedestrians? No, but it will be required by law. (The possibility of disabling this in some way will become a hot topic in years ahead, I'm sure.)

Do I want an artificial sound inside of the car to make it sound like a gasoline engine, or to make it sound "exciting"? No, and HELL NO! Artificial car noises are against my automotive religion. As long as I have an option to switch it off completely, that's okay.

Do I want to hear what my car is actually doing? Like gear whine? Sure, I'm fine with that. My 2010 Roadster has gear whine, it's cool, and it gives me a little extra sensory feedback. I guess what I mean is, that if Tesla take any special engineering efforts to suppress or muffle those mechanical sounds, that's a dubious decision to me.

I'm hoping to be able to customize the sound. It would be fun to see all the kids in the neighborhood come out when I drive by slowly with the car playing Turkey In the Straw (aka the ice cream truck sound).
I agree. That’s what I’m hoping for as well.

I’d like for it to sound really futuristic. “Alien Space ship futuristic” XD

I know a lot of people don’t want something like that (judging by the poll) but me personally, I do.

However, I do think if Tesla implements something like this they need to include the option to deactivate it for the people who don’t want it.

The M3 needs the great sound track of a 429 Boss Hemi muscle car, that I can crank up when I'm at a stop light,
I would love to see the expression on the face of the Guy in the next lane, when the light turns green.
Sometimes its just nice to f**k with peoples minds.:D

• Love
Reactions: Nikole Knight
I meant a sound for “enjoyment” if that makes sense.

Something just to add a “coolness effect” to the car.
Wow, I thought you meant a noise for pedestrians to hear!
I that case, I change my vote from "no" to "please god, absolutely not, never, no way, please don't, what a crap idea, I will smash it anyway if you do, what are you an ICEhead?, over my dead body, FOR GOD'S SAKE THIS IS ELECTRIC, no".
Why, what do you think?

Wow, I thought you meant a noise for pedestrians to hear!
I that case, I change my vote from "no" to "please god, absolutely not, never, no way, please don't, what a crap idea, I will smash it anyway if you do, what are you an ICEhead?, over my dead body, FOR GOD'S SAKE THIS IS ELECTRIC, no".
Why, what do you think?
we all have different opinions on things. But honestly, i think it would be more than cool to have a car that sounds like an alien spaceship inside and outside.

Considering the Roadster will have three motors and with the sound system off I can hear my Dual Motor P3D’s motors whine, I’m expecting a nice OG-Roadster-like sound for R2020 under acceleration. ;)
That’s what I’m hoping for. My Model S p100 makes a nice sound as well. Seems most people on here are fairly “bland” when it comes to a Tesla making a sound ;) (just look at the poll) again, we all have different opinions on stuff like this. XD Big fan of the podcast btw.

I do not want any fake sounds “for enjoyment.” All I want to hear is the sound of the tires struggling for grip as the car whooshes off into the distance. The car speaks for itself without the need for auditory bling.
It definitely speaks for itself. Again, we all have different opinions on stuff like this. I’m a big fan of sci-fi stuff and me personally, I would love for it to sound super sci-fi whether that be through motor noise or artificial sound.(Judging by the poll, looks like only a few people share that opinion with me..) guess that’s the inner kid in me. XD I don’t really care to be honest. If it is through artificial sound, I think they need to allow people to turn it off.

Last edited:
But while we’re on the subject, does anyone believe it will make noise somehow?
I do not believe Elon will allow any fake sounds to be added to the vehicle (like BMW does with the i8) unless DOT requires something at low speeds. I certainly don’t want any added noises.

You will still be able to hear the motor during hard acceleration, just like you can in every Tesla. And of course you hear tire noise and the noise of air flowing over the body. That is more than enough.