Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will The CT Beat Dual Motor Rivian

Will the dual motor CT beat the equivalent version from Rivian to market?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are not equivalent, but two completely different trucks, the Rivian looks like the $23K Ford Maverick and the CT is something completely different with a longer wheel base, better range and more powerful towing capacity.

I saw a Rivian in person and wanted to like it, but the front fascia expression with those fetal alcohol syndrome headlights remind me of an unnamed crazy person, combined with the diminutive stature of the truck and no charging infrastructure and I just couldn't do it.

1668196853153.png

Last edited:
They are not equivalent, but two completely different trucks, the Rivian looks like the $23K Ford Maverick and the CT is something completely different with a longer wheel base, better range and more powerful towing capacity.

I saw a Rivian in person and wanted to like it, but the front fascia expression with those fetal alcohol syndrome headlights remind me of an unnamed crazy person, combined with the diminutive stature of the truck and no charging infrastructure and I just couldn't do it.

View attachment 873625
LOLZ @ $39K pricing. And a bunch of other things in that chart.

They Cybertruck is NEVER coming to market with all these proposed specs.

The Rivian, to its credit, already exists.

Be interesting to how much longer Rivian exists. I hope they make it, but they are at a fragile point in their development. Their only truck right now is $70K, well above the price that the majority of truck buyers in the small truck market, which last year was $40K, even the full size segment is $60K on average. The Rivian isn't a full size truck, but similar to the specs of the small trucks like the Ford Maverick, which can be had for as low as $23k, however without the superior electric powertrain.

Rivian Cancels Its Most Affordable Vehicles​

Quarterly net loss tripled to $1.71 billion from $580 million in the second quarter of 2022. The automaker also said it expected to lose a little more money than initially expected this year. Its annual adjusted loss before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization should come at around $5.45 billion. The company had previously said that it was expecting a full-year EBITDA of negative $4.75 billion.

Last edited:
Rivian exist, the CT is still a prototype

The CT will only be successful because a bunch of first time Truck Tesla fanbois on You Tube will claim it’s the greatest Truck to ever be built….. yet they never driven a truck I their lifetime. Like what happened with the Model 3, a bunch of Prius drivers all of a sudden had a fast car 0-60 and claimed it was the best ever without looking at all the short comings.

Basically, if you want to live with a nice interior and purpose built truck get the Rivian. If you want a plain interior with rock like seats, half a steering wheel, with a useless bed get the CT.

Just went to a Rivian hub and the quality of the Rivians make the Teslas feel like Toyotas.

Rivian has something like 14.5B cash on hand so having a negative year is not bad. Also compared to Tesla at the same time Rivian I believe had more cash and did not get govt aid in tarp funds.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr X and glide
I've never owned/driven a Model 3 or a Prius, but I did a lot of off-roading with a custom built Toyota for the last fifteen years, and before that travelled all over the world driving all kinds of off road vehicles during my military career.

It really comes down to your use case, if you need a mail crawler, get the Rivian, it looks it will handle that really well and should be pretty easy to throw a couple strollers in the back in that 4.5 foot bed with 1500 lbs of payload capacity. It's probably pretty good off road, but that aluminum body will get beat to crap where I would take it.

For my use case, I want something a little more rugged, the cold rolled stainless steel and 16" of ground clearance is very appealing then add in a 6+ foot bed for all my toys and 3500 lbs of payload capacity, just seems to fit better with my lifestyle. I'm carrying cords of wood, going off-road, hunting, surf fishing, and I need something that can get from DC to Southwestern Virginia to my family property without a ton of charging stops.

One of my favorite off road vehicles... the LMTV War Pig.
1668292373516.png
U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers with the 5th Special Forces Group in a modified LMTV during Operation Iraqi Freedom. As shown,
much of the original truck's cab has been removed in order to save weight and provide better visibility and arcs of fire.

Just went to a Rivian hub and the quality of the Rivians make the Teslas feel like Toyotas.

Rivian has something like 14.5B cash on hand so having a negative year is not bad. Also compared to Tesla at the same time Rivian I believe had more cash and did not get govt aid in tarp funds.
I agree, Teslas and Toyotas have about the same build quality, but that has served me well for the last couple of decades. I have never been stranded by a Tesla or a Toyota. A lot of that cash comes from George Soros with over 20M shares in Rivian stock.

Basically, if you want to live with a nice interior and purpose built truck get the Rivian. If you want a plain interior with rock like seats, half a steering wheel, with a useless bed get the CT.
I agree with you on Rivian's existence as a plus. And With the assessment of CT having rock like seats and half a steering wheel. But what's useless about the CT's bed? Not heard any negatives on that until now.

Will the dual motor CT beat the equivalent version from Rivian to market? I have an order in for a CT and Rivian.
The Rivian is already shipping. I have had a Cybertruck reservation since 2018 and don't expect to see a delivery until 2024. The features on the CT make the term "equivalent" meaningless. Some features I think I will see on the CT are, four wheel steering, steer by wire, more efficient brakes with even better integration with regenerative braking and other features to be announced. Rivian is still in the birthing stages like Tesla was ten years ago so that is also a factor I will weigh if the CT gets delayed beyond 2024 for me.

Reactions: Eric9610
The Rivian is already shipping. I have had a Cybertruck reservation since 2018 and don't expect to see a delivery until 2024. The features on the CT make the term "equivalent" meaningless. Some features I think I will see on the CT are, four wheel steering, steer by wire, more efficient brakes with even better integration with regenerative braking and other features to be announced. Rivian is still in the birthing stages like Tesla was ten years ago so that is also a factor I will weigh if the CT gets delayed beyond 2024 for me.

That's odd, Cybertruck became available to pre-order Nov 21, 2019.

Model Y and 3 are the top selling cars in CA and dominating everywhere else.

How's Rivian doing? Not good. Terrible margins, losing money on every truck. And as they scale, their losses also scale.

CT Giga Press is arriving any day now at Austin. Tooling phase will begin soon. Cybertruck is out next year and will change the auto industry.

Who-vian?

I am hedging my bets with a deposit on both as I don't think i would see either till 2024 at the earliest. I think a lot of people forget the investors Rivian has... Amazon alone invested 1.5b + committed to buying 100k trucks on top of the investment. I was very impressed with the quality of the Rivian vs anything Tesla has ever made. As they produce more customer cars in the ramp the losses will drop. A lot of the delay and cost issue came from the decision to build the motors them self vs sourcing... the original plan.

Also does anyone really think the dual motor CT at $80k get 4 wheel steering... I also heard that they are planning to build the CT with current cells not 4680... Seems like Tesla these days is in a position to reduce features... (see model y deletions)

It really comes down to your use case, if you need a mail crawler, get the Rivian, it looks it will handle that really well and should be pretty easy to throw a couple strollers in the back in that 4.5 foot bed with 1500 lbs of payload capacity. It's probably pretty good off road, but that aluminum body will get beat to crap where I would take it.

For my use case, I want something a little more rugged, the cold rolled stainless steel and 16" of ground clearance is very appealing then add in a 6+ foot bed for all my toys and 3500 lbs of payload capacity, just seems to fit better with my lifestyle. I'm carrying cords of wood, going off-road, hunting, surf fishing, and I need something that can get from DC to Southwestern Virginia to my family property without a ton of charging stops.

You're talking like the Cybertruck already exists and the specs are validated. I guarantee if you are doing something to damage the aluminum body, that same thing is going to damage a stainless steel body (not to mention paint issues either way...). The screenshots posted above for specs are very outdated (Rivian has 600 or 835hp, as an example) and Tesla can claim anything they want but it doesn't matter until it's actually being produced and claims are validated.

Also, the Rivian's tailgate can support 1,000lbs so the bed size truly isn't an issue for toy hauling IMO. The Rivian is an absolutely fantastic truck and the quality is insanely high.

I've never owned/driven a Model 3 or a Prius, but I did a lot of off-roading with a custom built Toyota for the last fifteen years, and before that travelled all over the world driving all kinds of off road vehicles during my military career.

One of my favorite off road vehicles... the LMTV War Pig.
View attachment 873984,
U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers with the 5th Special Forces Group in a modified LMTV during Operation Iraqi Freedom. As shown,
much of the original truck's cab has been removed in order to save weight and provide better visibility and arcs of fire.
I’ve done a ton of off-roading the last close to 50 years. Grew up in Northern Nevada on pretty much a subsistence diet, humvees in the sand box, going on 13 years in Alaska. Over the last 30 years my off road rigs where a triple locked 80 series Land Cruiser on 34’s, a g500, and my current rig of going on 10 years a 200 series on 34’s.

I don’t think there is any way the CT will be a valid off roader. Let’s face it Tesla designs cars for the SoCal banana belt crowd.

First off like the rivian it will come with large rims (like 20” or 22”) that will greatly hinder its ability, being that tires/wheels are the most important factor off road. What Tesla should do is 37’s on 17” rims (like the raptor, TRX, bronco, Jeep,….) but I’m saying no way they will.

Also air suspension…. It is ok on road but sucks off road, Rover, Jeep, Mercedes,… have never been able to do a functional air suspension for off roading and their most capable off roaders (defender (real one not the unibody), Wrangler, G wagon) do not have air.

And let’s face it Tesla does not do traction control all that well. Both my 3 and s sort of wobble along on icy roads, rear slips, flaring motor kicks in, rear slips,…. I have a buddy with an R1T it does much better balancing out the drive.

So the CT vs Rivian off road. Both have (stupid) large rims, both have air, Rivian will probably have a better traction system and the big factor is it has a shorter wheel base. I think when someone pulls the big brakes and can fit a 17” rim on the Rivian it would be a pretty capable off roader.

I’ve done a ton of off-roading the last close to 50 years. Grew up in Northern Nevada on pretty much a subsistence diet, humvees in the sand box, going on 13 years in Alaska. Over the last 30 years my off road rigs where a triple locked 80 series Land Cruiser on 34’s, a g500, and my current rig of going on 10 years a 200 series on 34’s.

I don’t think there is any way the CT will be a valid off roader. Let’s face it Tesla designs cars for the SoCal banana belt crowd.

First off like the rivian it will come with large rims (like 20” or 22”) that will greatly hinder its ability, being that tires/wheels are the most important factor off road. What Tesla should do is 37’s on 17” rims (like the raptor, TRX, bronco, Jeep,….) but I’m saying no way they will.

Also air suspension…. It is ok on road but sucks off road, Rover, Jeep, Mercedes,… have never been able to do a functional air suspension for off roading and their most capable off roaders (defender (real one not the unibody), Wrangler, G wagon) do not have air.

And let’s face it Tesla does not do traction control all that well. Both my 3 and s sort of wobble along on icy roads, rear slips, flaring motor kicks in, rear slips,…. I have a buddy with an R1T it does much better balancing out the drive.

So the CT vs Rivian off road. Both have (stupid) large rims, both have air, Rivian will probably have a better traction system and the big factor is it has a shorter wheel base. I think when someone pulls the big brakes and can fit a 17” rim on the Rivian it would be a pretty capable off roader.
Agree 100%!!! I would love if Rivian offered even 18” 0r 19” with 35s.

The CT will only be successful because a bunch of first time Truck Tesla fanbois on You Tube will claim it’s the greatest Truck to ever be built….. yet they never driven a truck I their lifetime. Like what happened with the Model 3, a bunch of Prius drivers all of a sudden had a fast car 0-60 and claimed it was the best ever without looking at all the short comings.

Wow, who pissed in your cereal? I have a CT reservation, because I plan on using it to tow an RV for the family. So towing range was my main priority. As for the model 3, I have that too (2018), and although I like the Y better, the seats have a bad reputation for being hard, which I do NOT find, even after 2000+ mile road-trips.

Anyway, this thread is about the poll, and I give Rivian the edge, because they're already in production and making a dual-motor truck is all about cost-reduction for them, not overcoming any technical challenges.