Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will the Drako GTE finally give Tesla performance a run for its money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.drakomotors.com/ said:
GTE’s battery was designed from the ground-up for megawatt power output as well as cooling capabilities to withstand track level performance on the world’s most challenging circuits. With 90 kWh of energy capacity and the ability to output 1,800 continuous and 2,200 peak amps, GTE’s battery is designed to supply GTE’s four motors with 900 kW of uninterrupted power. An internal massively-parallel cooling architecture integrates numerous cooling channels surrounding each individual battery cell to quickly dissipate heat lap after lap.
At first glance, the shape is a lot like a Fisker. With a 90 kWh battery its range should be about 240-270 miles on a full charge, depending on efficiency and whether a "full" charge is 4.2V, or the voltage is pre-capped to 4.1V or thereabouts.

But is "megawatt power" equal to "900 kW of uninterrupted power"? Will it actually deliver 1000 kW (1 MW) PEAK output (such as on a drag strip/launch) and 900 kW continuous (climbing Pike's Peak, Mulsanne straight, etc)?

1800A x 450V = 810 kW (continuous)
2200A x 450V = 990 kW (99% of a MW, about 1325 peak HP).

The 20s will be an interesting decade.

Edit: I read the Electrek article. Holy crap, $1.25 million? Only 25 produced? This is more like an electric Pagani than anything.

I read the article yesterday and was also blown away at the specs and configuration until I saw the number of cars and the price. Like most hypercars, I'm fairly sure they will sell all 25, but it just doesn't seem to be that much better than a top-end MS.

That said, I really like the look of the car and the actual switches. It's too bad they have no other interior shots showing the dash.

Reactions: DriveMe
Yes, I also did not understand the price tag until now. I still love this car for the fact that it pushes the boundaries of what is possible, form and function are pretty hard to beat. The track video they have on their website looks accelerated, but it’s hard to tell. Either way, if they are able to manage the torque vectoring with quad drive and that much power that is a mile stone in and of itself.

The roadster will still be a bargain!

Well, if the car were to empty its battery as quick as possible using the 810kw continuous figure:

90kwh battery / 810kw consumption = 11.1% of an hour
11.1% * 1 hour = 6.66 minutes

If the car managed an average speed of 200mph for that length of time (just shy of its top speed), it would still only cover around 20 miles.

The Drako GTE has only 20 miles of range. You heard it here first. :p

Costs 10x as much. Not sure how that is a "run for it's money". Cool to see new players in "the game" using Tesla as a benchmark
Yea, it’s not. I didn’t see the price tag until after I started the thread.

it’s hard to see how they can even scale down what they’ve done to something more affordable. They’ve been in business for just about as long as Tesla, and will eventually produce 25 cars...

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Great specs on the car, and I LOVE the video of it carving up those curves. Looks incredible!
The car itself is prettier inside than out- the flanks before the rear wheels look very odd.
But @2.5 million, if it doesn't beat the Raven P, then there is something very wrong!!
Finally- will it ever actually appear??

I watched the video and checked the Drako website, but I didn't find any real numbers?

The Tesla Model S Performance 0-60 m/h is 2.4 s.
There’s no official 0-anything times posted. But, if a p100dL produces a little under 1,000 ft/lbs of torque, and the Drako can produce over 6,000 ft/lbs!?! It must be 2 seconds or less. That amount of torque just doesn’t make sense. A nitromethane funny car can produce about 7,000 ft/lbs, but that means it’s generating 8,000hp or more.

I don’t understand the disconnect between 6,400nm of torque and only 1,200hp

Reactions: Watts_Up