Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the jerk driving a white MS70 FL plate JVI M84 please explain yourself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone else can plug in a Supercharger to a locked model S, that would invalidate the accuracy of the idle fee charges. Someone could plug in your car and even if you car never started charging it could accrue idle fees. I know of at least one Supercharging station that had parking spots on both sides of the pedestals so that it is a reasonable thing to park on one side since that doesn't block access to the charger. If someone else were to plug in your car that could create some real issues.
Is the cord long enough to reach? The superchargers have pretty short cables and I would think parking the other direction would be too far away to plug it in.

Was at Silverthorne, CO SC this morning. All 8 spots taken with one waiting. Above referenced car was in spot 1A and NOT plugged in. Very thoughtful!

View attachment 458258

Would you mind also calling out all the Tesla owners pretending to charge at Electrify America in Livermore?

B518B867-E0D9-4F71-B0A4-CA0B479C96E6.jpeg

(screenshot from PlugShare)

If someone else can plug in a Supercharger to a locked model S, that would invalidate the accuracy of the idle fee charges. Someone could plug in your car and even if you car never started charging it could accrue idle fees. I know of at least one Supercharging station that had parking spots on both sides of the pedestals so that it is a reasonable thing to park on one side since that doesn't block access to the charger. If someone else were to plug in your car that could create some real issues.

If you're in the spot, you SHOULD be incurring idling feels if you're not charging even if you're not plugged in. If you're not going to charge, then move.

If you're in the spot, you SHOULD be incurring idling feels if you're not charging even if you're not plugged in. If you're not going to charge, then move.

I don't encourage vigilante justice. There can be reasons for parking in any given spot. Most charging spots are not marked for exclusive use for charging. Many provide for 30 or 60 minute general parking or have no restriction at all. Maybe the person is having a problem and can't move the car? It's not like these things are hallmarks of reliability.

I don't encourage vigilante justice. There can be reasons for parking in any given spot. Most charging spots are not marked for exclusive use for charging. Many provide for 30 or 60 minute general parking or have no restriction at all. Maybe the person is having a problem and can't move the car? It's not like these things are hallmarks of reliability.

I'm sorry, if they're not plugged in, I assume they forgot and I'm just doing them a favor. I don't see where vigilante anything applies here. And MOST supercharger stalls are NOT marked for general parking. I've seen a few but only a few.

Reactions: GreenT
I'm sorry, if they're not plugged in, I assume they forgot and I'm just doing them a favor. I don't see where vigilante anything applies here. And MOST supercharger stalls are NOT marked for general parking. I've seen a few but only a few.

Lol! If you did that with an ICE I'd bet you would be violating laws in many places. Do us all a favor and don't ever do us any favors. Do you also inflate other people's tires and change their oil? How about washing their windshields? Try something like that with the wrong vehicle and you may end up beaten for "tampering".

I have seen some stalls with no markings, but I don't recall seeing any Supercharger stalls marked EV charging only. The problem is in most jurisdictions, to be enforced it has to be a law. I've read about some places which have considered and may have passed laws about it. But they are a vast minority.

Not "helpful", vandals. Remember, the guy who unhooked the cable was recorded. Someone could come after you either through the law... or not.

People who plug in unplugged Teslas blocking charging stalls are “vandals”? For ensuring people who *should* be accruing idle fees are *actually* incurring idle fees? Idle fees are one of the best things to happen to the network to punish selfishness.

I detect someone who parks at charging stalls without charging....

Lol! If you did that with an ICE I'd bet you would be violating laws in many places. Do us all a favor and don't ever do us any favors. Do you also inflate other people's tires and change their oil? How about washing their windshields? Try something like that with the wrong vehicle and you may end up beaten for "tampering".

You're comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing. We have 30 banks of chargers at my work and every once in a while someone parks in a stall and forgets to plug in. It's common etiquette among EV owners to plug each other in when plugs become available or on the rare occasion when someone parks and forgets to plug in because they're in a rush.

Additionally, a charging stall is a gas station pump. It's never ok to park your car there and just walk off.

Based on your reaction, I believe you're one of those that parks in stalls and then disconnects to avoid idling fees and then doesn't move.

Reactions: CSFTN
You're comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing. We have 30 banks of chargers at my work and every once in a while someone parks in a stall and forgets to plug in. It's common etiquette among EV owners to plug each other in when plugs become available or on the rare occasion when someone parks and forgets to plug in because they're in a rush.

Additionally, a charging stall is a gas station pump. It's never ok to park your car there and just walk off.

Based on your reaction, I believe you're one of those that parks in stalls and then disconnects to avoid idling fees and then doesn't move.

I know I don't plug in other people's stuff because I don't know what might happen. What if the guy plugged in and the car started to smoke? He unplugged and called Tesla to deal with the issue. While not very likely, this is an entirely possible scenario. You plug the car in, you take responsibility for the consequences.

As someone in another thread said, "Never rub another man's rhubarb".

BTW, people leave their cars at gas pumps all the time while they go into the store. Where do you drive?

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN
I know I don't plug in other people's stuff because I don't know what might happen. What if the guy plugged in and the car started to smoke? He unplugged and called Tesla to deal with the issue. While not very likely, this is an entirely possible scenario. You plug the car in, you take responsibility for the consequences.

As someone in another thread said, "Never rub another man's rhubarb".

BTW, people leave their cars at gas pumps all the time while they go into the store. Where do you drive?

As unlikely as that is, I'd certainly expect them to vacate that spot in the meantime.

People leave their cars while their pumping gas or they go into the store to pay for gas before they pump. Again, you're making completely different and irrelevant comparisons. The comparison I was making is someone parking at a gas pump and then going shopping or doing something unrelated to their gas stop. Going to the bathroom, getting drinks, paying for gas, etc etc is all related to their gas stop. If they stop to do all of that but don't get gas, they don't park at a gas pump. Duh.

Additionally, if Tesla thought this was an issue, they certainly wouldn't allow the charge handle button to open the charge port while the car is locked.