Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 be better built for taller people?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is probably relevant to this thread: Tesla Chief Technology Officer JB Straubel Discusses Model 3

• It has “next generation” Tesla tech.
  • It’s about the size of an Audi A4.
  • It will wow everyone with features.
  • Every EV component, from battery innards to electric motors, is quickly dropping in price.
  • Lithium is plentiful already, but could be extracted from ocean water in the future.

This is probably relevant to this thread: Tesla Chief Technology Officer JB Straubel Discusses Model 3

• It has “next generation” Tesla tech.
  • It’s about the size of an Audi A4.
  • It will wow everyone with features.
  • Every EV component, from battery innards to electric motors, is quickly dropping in price.
  • Lithium is plentiful already, but could be extracted from ocean water in the future.

Thanks for the link! This looks promising. Here are some links stating the A4 is a good vehicle for tall people Five Fun Sedans for Tall Drivers Reddit Are Audi Tall Friendly Best Luxury Cars for Tall People. I would guess this statement is more specific to the outside of the car than the drivers seat. Also the A4 doesn't have a floor of batteries. But this still points to more room than less.

tl;dr: I'm tall and can't fit in a model S. Do you think model 3 will have more vertical room?

So I finally got the opportunity to sit in a model S last weekend and it's just as I feared. Being 6'4" (~1.9m), I'm too tall for the car and that has me very concerned for the model 3.

While I could barely fit in the driver's set, I was able to get comfortable when the seat was slid completely back. Headroom was a bit cramped, but I did have a tiny bit of clearance. The backseat was another story though. With the front seat all the way back, my legs were wedged open well past 90 degrees to fit behind the seat. The bigger problem was that my head was square against the glass of the back windshield. The last time I had this problem was with my wife's VW Bug (previous generation) and I can still remember the pain of hitting my head against the glass over every bump in the road and the back pain of trying to lean forward the entire ride to try and prevent that.

From what I've heard about the model X, the front seats and the outer seats on the second row should have more headroom, but the middle seat and the back seats would be unacceptably small for me. This does not bode well for Tesla catering to taller people like myself.

I currently drive a 2015 Subaru Legacy, a mid-sized sedan. I fit amazingly well in all seats and configurations, so I'm very happy with the size. With the word that the 3 will be somewhere around 20% smaller than the S, that puts the 3 into the mid-sized sedan footprint. However, we also know that Elon is targeting a very low drag coefficient, which in my mind means this car will be tuned for aerodynamics and therefore short. I understand drag coefficient isn't drag area but I'm still concerned.

Like many others here who aren't already driving one, I really want to switch to electric for my next car (the timing didn't work out for this one), but I'm worried Tesla is too focused on aerodynamics to care about taller people.

Do you think this will be an issue with the model 3, or will Tesla finally make a car a bit taller?

Here are each vehicle's dimensions for your convenience:

View attachment 112092
View attachment 112093
They is going to be Tesla's entry level car and Tesla has already announced it will be at least 20% smaller than the S but heavier because they will not be able to use an aluminum frame and stay within budget. So the answer to your question is no.

tl;dr: I'm tall and can't fit in a model S. Do you think model 3 will have more vertical room?

So I finally got the opportunity to sit in a model S last weekend and it's just as I feared. Being 6'4" (~1.9m), I'm too tall for the car and that has me very concerned for the model 3.

While I could barely fit in the driver's set, I was able to get comfortable when the seat was slid completely back. Headroom was a bit cramped, but I did have a tiny bit of clearance. The backseat was another story though. With the front seat all the way back, my legs were wedged open well past 90 degrees to fit behind the seat. The bigger problem was that my head was square against the glass of the back windshield. The last time I had this problem was with my wife's VW Bug (previous generation) and I can still remember the pain of hitting my head against the glass over every bump in the road and the back pain of trying to lean forward the entire ride to try and prevent that.

From what I've heard about the model X, the front seats and the outer seats on the second row should have more headroom, but the middle seat and the back seats would be unacceptably small for me. This does not bode well for Tesla catering to taller people like myself.

I currently drive a 2015 Subaru Legacy, a mid-sized sedan. I fit amazingly well in all seats and configurations, so I'm very happy with the size. With the word that the 3 will be somewhere around 20% smaller than the S, that puts the 3 into the mid-sized sedan footprint. However, we also know that Elon is targeting a very low drag coefficient, which in my mind means this car will be tuned for aerodynamics and therefore short. I understand drag coefficient isn't drag area but I'm still concerned.

Like many others here who aren't already driving one, I really want to switch to electric for my next car (the timing didn't work out for this one), but I'm worried Tesla is too focused on aerodynamics to care about taller people.

Do you think this will be an issue with the model 3, or will Tesla finally make a car a bit taller?

Here are each vehicle's dimensions for your convenience:

I'd recommend waiting for more information on the upcoming Model Y. It will definitely have better headroom than Model since it is a CUV.

My 2 pence:

I am 6ft 4in. I bought a used BMW 3 series 06 and it ruined my back. No matter how I adjusted the seats I got ridiculous back pain, slipped disc and had to have physio. I started driving my mum's mini countryman, great car, great fun to drive and lots of headroom and space. Pain went away. Went back to my car this week, pain is back with a vengeance. I do a lot of driving 3 hours/day 3-4 days a week. My opinion is not to risk it with your back. Get a car with lots of room and decent seats and let the so-called "luxury" brands go and hang. I will be test driving a range rover sport late next week which will hopefully be more than adequate for my needs. If I have even the slightest doubt about how it will treat my back, I will get the John Cooper model of mini countryman. I can't believe that in this day and age something as basic as car seats are not being designed properly in so called up-market brands. It's simply unacceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
I'm 6'5" and have been following information on this aspect of the Model 3 pretty closely. Considering Elon has tweeted confirming the car will be suitable for someone 6' 5", and even told Hodor that he would likely fit, I think we're in good shape.

Reactions: JeffK
I guess having a "short" torso is advantageous. Im 6'7 all legs and arms. I test driven a model s and fit fine. But then again, I also own an 87 integra and a 96 240sx...both small cars, and I have no issues driving those either.

I'm 6'2" and built like you. The Model S has enough height for my torso, but I do have to run the seat back a long ways to fit.

My sincere uncomfortableness for those of such tall/heights. We have a kid in town who is 6'9" right now and wears size 17us shoes.
He's just huge but really clumsy. He needs that big SUV. He's 16 right now. He might grow to 7'4" in the end. No he can't play basketball.
Amazingly he doesn't have the Andre the giant issue so he'll live a long life (overactive pituitary).

I'm a little concerned. I'm 6'3" and fit in the Model S with room to spare, but I can't trim too much room from the Model S before things get uncomfortable. I have the seat about 90-95% of the way back and all the way down with the pano roof.

Clearly the 3 won't have 20% less headroom, but I am wondering how much will be lost. Given the promised made I'm not super concerned, but it is something we plan to try to check out as soon as possible.

So, am I the only one here who doesn't expect that sitting in a car seat should be equivalent to sitting on a chair at the dining room table?

I'm not the tallest guy, maybe 6'-1" on a tall day... I have long legs and long arms. So, when playing basketball, I surprise taller guys who don't expect I should be able to grab rebounds, block their shots, or steal the ball from them. Most cars I need to put the seat as far back as possible to have a chance at being comfortable. Usually, I feel as though I could use another notch or two of slide travel on the seat to actually fit.

But I never have a problem with headroom -- aside from getting in and out of the car. There are some cars that have a high ceiling, but a low door sill, so I may bang my head if I don't notice and adjust myself to stoop down extra low. In cars that I have about 4-to-6 inches of clearance for me, my Brother who is 2" shorter often has only about 1" of headroom, if that much. I suppose that if I had a longer torso, I'd probably be closer to 6'-4".

So, am I the only one here who doesn't expect that sitting in a car seat should be equivalent to sitting on a chair at the dining room table?

I'm not the tallest guy, maybe 6'-1" on a tall day... I have long legs and long arms. So, when playing basketball, I surprise taller guys who don't expect I should be able to grab rebounds, block their shots, or steal the ball from them. Most cars I need to put the seat as far back as possible to have a chance at being comfortable. Usually, I feel as though I could use another notch or two of slide travel on the seat to actually fit.

But I never have a problem with headroom -- aside from getting in and out of the car. There are some cars that have a high ceiling, but a low door sill, so I may bang my head if I don't notice and adjust myself to stoop down extra low. In cars that I have about 4-to-6 inches of clearance for me, my Brother who is 2" shorter often has only about 1" of headroom, if that much. I suppose that if I had a longer torso, I'd probably be closer to 6'-4".

You and I are built the same and I've said similar, if my torso was proportional to my legs, I'd be around 6'6". I was surprised to find the Model S seat actually went back just a little too far for me, though when we went back to the store to test out the next gen seats, I couldn't get the seat as far back on their 70D as I could in my 90D that was only a few weeks newer. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Reactions: Red Sage
For taller drivers waiting for an M3, take a look at a Ford C-Max. I'm 6,3 and have to Rhumba my way around the steering wheel to sit in my Prius. I Fit easily behind the wheel of s C-Max though. You can even get it as a PHEV, though not as long range as a Tesla.

Im 6’ 10” with 39” inseam - so Im about a 50/50 Body/legs configuration.

Friend passed this post to me as I to am concerned with the M3 interior space.

My 30 years of driving I have experienced that Lateral Knee Space is the biggest issue - with center consoles getting so wide with each new generation of car - its ridiculous. And unfortunately the MS has that nice 17” display right where my knee wants to go. If the center display was just a couple inches to the right it would be perfect… that 17” screen should encroach the passenger area, not the driver area. Better yet, it should be on a gimbal or somehow adjustable to make knee space & to adjust for sun glare.

I have driven MS many times and its just great. But after driving a MS for an entire day, I got to the point of almost regretting having to get into it as I walked up to the car. Not that that would prevent me from owning a MS, but defiantly has me waiting to see other options (M3, Bolt). But in a two EV household, one car will need to be a Tesla for road trips - so I am waiting with high hopes that the M3 interior can deliver the space I need.

So getting in & out of MS is the biggest point of discomfort because the windshield pillars are still sloping back above the door entry, reducing the vertical entrance space enough that I have to contort my way in. If I have a soar neck from something (sleeping wrong, etc…) it would be painful to get in & out of. Thats what concerns me the most regarding the M3. Elons own description states that the drivers area is pushed farther forward than the MS so the driver sits closer to the front, providing max headroom for the BACK sear passengers. That seems to imply that the entry space for the front seats is reduced by the windshield slope even more than the MS

In my opinion thats absurd. Front seats should be spatially optimum for the driver and the back seats should get whats left over. As the owner of the car I don’t care about the headroom in the back, I am always in the front seat - so attention to space & comfort should have no sacrifices to provide more space in the back. I get the whole “seats 5” thing as a competitive selling point in the auto market, for for families, etc… but this is a sub-mid sized car - perhaps a family who needs space should stick with a mini-van or MX, even a MS. Elon seems to be overly concerned with that, as he says specifically, ‘Seats 5 adults comfortably” and he re emphasizes comfortably in the back.

At any rate, inside the MS is more comfortable than most cars, but not as much as a car of that size should be. Its not uncomfortable, but not optimal for me at 6’10”. My knee hits the 17” display corner. Other than that the legroom is good. Headroom is tight with just an inch or less, and despite what the Tesla Associates say, the Glass roof does not help much wit headspace because of the additional roof beams. Directly under the glass is more headroom, but in the drivers set, my head is not in the center of the car, my head is to the left side of the interior - right where the additional roof beam structures are. A solid metal roof actually has more headroom, particularly towards the side,

The Mosel X is the absolute best regarding driver comfort, even for me. Headroom, legroom, lateral knee space - all are generous in the X & its an absolute pleaser to get in & out as well.

BUT… I don’t care for the Falcon doors & the other nonsense features like auto door open/close, etc…

Of course this is all speculation on the M3 at this point, so until they show up on the street and I can actually get in one - I have high hopes that my M3 reservation will turn into a M3 in my garage :) Otherwise I will have to consider the MS. Or maybe there will be a stripped down BASE model X with out the Falcon doors in the near future ;)

Just for additional info, what we drive now is a Leaf & a Spark EV.

The Leaf is a mid sized car, is quite comfortable for me, with plenty headroom, but is tight with lateral knee space & a non telescoping steering wheel makes it tighter than I’d like.

The spark is very small, the wife’s car primarily, but surprisingly I have plenty of headroom. The issue is the narrow-ness of the car & knee space. I can drive it fine, but its very tight.

But then again, interior car space & lateral Knee Space are just common issues I have learned to live with. I don’t like big trucks & monster SUV’s - and interestingly enough, some huge SUV’s have even worse knee space.