Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 be Standard with Front / Rear / All Wheel Drive?

Will the Model 3 be introduced as FWD, RWD or AWD standard in base configuration?

• Front Wheel Drive (FWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)

Votes: 120 81.1%
  • All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The elitism on this board is starting to show through. Everyone who is looking at the Model 3 from Model S and X-colored glasses sees an "econobox", yet they want priority on putting down deposits on them.

So is it a POS, or not? Are you ashamed that "your brand" will have an affordable model? and if so....why do you want one?

Your bias presumes an econobox is a put down. My wife has a Model S and will likely be getting a Model X in a couple weeks. We had to buy another Model S to burn off my referral credits (long story). I dislike all of these cars. Call me crazy, but I want a sunglass holder, pocket in the door and other storage, a coat hook, grab handles, etc. that are standard in the electric econobox class. I couldn't wait any longer and bought a Nissan Leaf last week and that is my favorite ride at the moment. The extreme minimalism design philosophy of the Model X/S annoys the crap out of me. I am no Tesla fan boy as is the norm on this site.

If Tesla chooses to compete with the other electric econoboxes in their price class with the Model 3, I will go through with my purchase. If they choose to make the Model 3 as impractical for daily use as the Model S/X, I will not. I will be a little torn if the others don't offer AWD.

Cost not being an issue, I prefer econoboxes and the convenience that comes standard in the electric $30K'ish price range.

Your bias presumes an econobox is a put down. My wife has a Model S and will likely be getting a Model X in a couple weeks. We had to buy another Model S to burn off my referral credits (long story). I dislike all of these cars. Call me crazy, but I want a sunglass holder, pocket in the door and other storage, a coat hook, grab handles, etc. that are standard in the electric econobox class. I couldn't wait any longer and bought a Nissan Leaf last week and that is my favorite ride at the moment. The extreme minimalism design philosophy of the Model X/S annoys the crap out of me. I am no Tesla fan boy as is the norm on this site.

If Tesla chooses to compete with the other electric econoboxes in their price class with the Model 3, I will go through with my purchase. If they choose to make the Model 3 as impractical for daily use as the Model S/X, I will not. I will be a little torn if the others don't offer AWD.

Cost not being an issue, I prefer econoboxes and the convenience that comes standard in the electric $30K'ish price range.

e·con·o·box
iˈkänəˌbäks/
noun NORTH AMERICAN informal

noun: econobox; plural noun: econoboxes; noun: econo-box; plural noun: econo-boxes

• a car that is small and economical rather than luxurious or stylish.

Sounds semi-pejorative, or at least inaccurate, to me.

Econobox- Focus, Scion, Corolla.....NOT Model 3 territory.
  • NOT Econobox- A4, 3-Series, Acura, Lexus, etc.

e·con·o·box
iˈkänəˌbäks/

noun: econobox; plural noun: econoboxes; noun: econo-box; plural noun: econo-boxes

Electric cars are certainly economical. It is a matter of debate whether it will be luxurious, but cannot be so much so in that price class and minimalist design is not luxurious. The Model S/X are not luxurious as compared to other $100K cars in their class. Knowing Tesla, it will likely be stylish.

I would say with two of the three being certainly true . . . . the Model 3 is an econobox. Get over it. The term econobox doesn't sound pejorative to me and is just an indication the driver values economy over luxury and style.

I am proud to leave a light footprint on this world despite having the means to do otherwise. I hate being pampered and wasteful. In green circles there is no shame in this. In gearhead or elitist circles there is as I am mocked shamelessly. I am the former and perhaps others are the latter--to each their own.

Last edited:
electric cars are certainly economical. It is a matter of debate whether it will be luxurious, but cannot be so much so in that price class and minimalist design is not luxurious. The model s/x are not luxurious as compared to other $100k cars in their class. Knowing tesla, it will likely be stylish.

I would say with two of the three being certainly true . . . . The model 3 is an econobox. Get over it.

kthxbye

smug2.jpeg

The green crowd drive econoboxes as a badge of honor. Driving up to valet at events I frequent in a Prius is more respected than a Lambo.

Like I have said, if it competes with the electric econoboxes in its price segment, I will buy one.

old habits are hard to break. even though there are plenty around me with Priuses (Prii?), I wouldn't consider myself in their circle. Also, the Model S and X are still in the price range where the owners of Lambos and Teslas are more likely to hang out than they'd be likely to hang out with me.

I'm in that bracket where I can spend up to $65-70K on the Model 3, because it will likely be well-optioned, but I wouldn't spend that on a Model S, as it would be a base model.

And I want AP....AP/CPO Model S's haven't really hit the market yet. But I assume they will when the 3 comes out. People in cities have sometimes complained about the size of the S, so I'm assuming some of them will downsize for convenience.

The elitism on this board is starting to show through. Everyone who is looking at the Model 3 from Model S and X-colored glasses sees an "econobox", yet they want priority on putting down deposits on them.

So is it a POS, or not? Are you ashamed that "your brand" will have an affordable model? and if so....why do you want one?

You have this illusion that Model S owners thing of the Model 3 as an econobox, but I have seen absolutely zero evidence for this. As I have stated before, in general the existing owners expect the Model 3 to be awesome and have all sorts of features. Generally the people I see arguing for econobox are non-owners. Owners do not think the brand will be diluted by an affordable model, that is entirely in your head. Instead they think the Model 3 will have all sorts of awesome (but expensive) options.

e·con·o·box
iˈkänəˌbäks/

Not to hurt your feelings but both the A4 and 3xx BMW's are about 10% smaller than a Civic. And the A4 is FWD.

Don't confuse badge shape with function and size.

The A4 also comes with leather seats standard, unlike the Model S...

OK, when discussing manufacturers' entry-level vehicles....Tesla's "floor", even with the 3, will admittedly be higher than say, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, and many others. simple economics. a $35K car should be a more quality vehicle than a $15K car

- - - Updated - - -

Paying too much for a car doesn't make it better. It's not a $37k car if you remove the badging. A Fusion is much bigger and can be decked out, and appears to be more stylish.

but now you're getting into personal preference. I would rather have a stripped Audi than a loaded Fusion.

But again, personal preference.

Consider this: VW Jetta vs Audi A4 and Honda Civic vs Acura ILX.

You can argue until you are blue in the face about how a optioned up VW Jetta or Honda Civic is much better value than a Audi A4 or Acura ILX, but the Jetta and Civic will be labeled econobox and the A4 and ILX will be entry-level luxury/premium.

For the record, I don't think the Model 3 will be an econobox as that goes against Tesla's long running design principle. Tesla isn't trying to design a $25k car with a $10k EV premium (as is the strategy of cars like the Leaf), but rather a $35k car that will fit well with other ~$35k entry level luxury/premium cars.

A lot of this may be perceptive (plenty of people are of the opinion the S does not have the interior quality and equipment of a $70k premium car), but that difference is what leads to Tesla's success.

For the record, I don't think the Model 3 will be an econobox as that goes against Tesla's long running design principle. Tesla isn't trying to design a $25k car with a $10k EV premium (as is the strategy of cars like the Leaf), but rather a $35k car that will fit well with other ~$35k entry level luxury/premium cars.

Agree, Tesla knows as much as we do what is riding on the Model 3's success. The last thing they're going to do is release an electric Chevrolet Spark, with black textured plastic traditional door handles and non-power mirrors, etc. This is as big a deal to them as it is to us, and I'm sure they're reading these forums daily to see what the buzz is and what the hopes are. I know many companies who have full-time social media jobs just to monitor these sorts of things. I have faith. I feel when it's finally revealed, the car won't disappoint.

But to stay on-topic, I'm hoping for RWD base build with an AWD option. If it came AWD out the gate that would be amazing, but I won't get my hopes up.

In the snow, dirt, or sand, a FWD is a better engineering design than RWD.
Tesla Motors uses a skateboard design to locate the battery packs on their cars between the front and rear axles, underneath the passenger compartment. Most front wheel drive cars feature an iron, steel, or aluminum block engine, along with a transaxle, and a wealth of accessories, that sit over the front axle, under the hood. That weight increases traction on the front tires, allowing for the handling characteristics you describe during inclement weather or course conditions. Since a Tesla Motors vehicle does not benefit from a bunch of heavy useless ancient technology that pumps out smoke and belches fumes to drive its wheels, it will not have the sort of traction up front that makes front wheel drive a good idea in an ICE vehicle. The electric motor and drive unit are combined, much lighter than an ICE -- so you'd have to abandon the skateboard principle, put the power control electronics and batteries under the hood too -- thereby eliminating the benefit of having a frunk. You know, the way that traditional automobile manufacturers do it when converting an ICE to fully electric. It sort of defeats the purpose, just to have a familiar layout. Completely unnecessary. Especially since an entirely drive-by-wire fully electric rear wheel drive system has been proven to work just fine in a myriad of driving conditions over the past three-and-a-half years by the Model S. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Tesla Motors expects the grand majority of Model ≡ to be sold in places where concrete and asphalt are the primary components of road construction... As opposed to ice, snow, sand, dirt, and mud.

It seems most here would love to drive a Model S and are hopeful that the Model 3 is just like it, but I want an econobox. I expect the Bolt will be added to my side of the garage soon.
It is highly unlikely you will get your wish this decade, and likely not before 2024 or so. Tesla Motors has no need whatsoever to go after the sub-compact market prior to having a manufacturing capacity that numbers into the millions. Even then, its targets would probably be the Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Golf, Focus, and Elantra... Not the Yaris, Fit, Versa, Fiesta, and Accent. Enjoy your BOLT.

It is highly unlikely you will get your wish this decade, and likely not before 2024 or so. Tesla Motors has no need whatsoever to go after the sub-compact market prior to having a manufacturing capacity that numbers into the millions. Even then, its targets would probably be the Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Golf, Focus, and Elantra... Not the Yaris, Fit, Versa, Fiesta, and Accent. Enjoy your BOLT.

This. I always associated the term "econobox" to the subcompact class that Red just mentioned. I would think of the Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Focus, etc. as simply compact cars, meaning not mid-sized sedans.

This. I always associated the term "econobox" to the subcompact class that Red just mentioned. I would think of the Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Focus, etc. as simply compact cars, meaning not mid-sized sedans.
Thanks. There are those who sincerely protest Tesla Motors means of bringing electric vehicles to market. They would suggest the exact opposite strategy: Build extremely inexpensive small cars, with little utility, limited cargo and passenger space, short range, minimal performance, and bare necessities as creature comforts. They honestly believe that is the proper philosophical path toward electrifying personal transportation. They are wrong, of course. God bless their little hearts. ;-)

CitiCar_-_sebring-vanguard-citicar-01.jpg