Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model 3 be Standard with Front / Rear / All Wheel Drive?

Will the Model 3 be introduced as FWD, RWD or AWD standard in base configuration?

• Front Wheel Drive (FWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)

Votes: 120 81.1%
  • All Wheel Drive (AWD)

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted FWD, for the following reasons:

* The current D cars are all FWD-biased in Range Mode (this thread has some very cool graphs showing this)
* As with ICE cars, a FWD solution can be packaged very efficiently, which will help in manufacture. Not having to drop the battery to get to the motor would reduce servicing costs
* The space taken by the rear motor could be used for stacking battery modules. This is easier than using the front for the same purpose, because the front will always have the power steering system in the way. If the battery footprint is really 30% smaller than the MS, then Tesla will need to be creative about battery packaging, and this could provide some much-needed space.
* AWD customers will have the MS and MX to choose from, and by the time the M3 comes out there are sure to be AWD CPO cars in the same price range.

Only a few weeks left before we all find out!

Have you driven an AWD car in an Orlando rain storm? Try it. The added grip will make you ignore FWD and curse RWD. Not even considering the added power of a dual motor.
As a Miami-based D driver I confirm your view. Driving in the very heavy rainstorms the D does give much greater stability. My personal comparison is between my P85D and an 85 loaner, both of which I drive in the same rainstorm on I95 between Miami and West Palm Beach. Until then I really did not appreciate how much more stable the Teska D's are. BTW, both cars had 19" Michelin's with plenty of tread.

Have you driven an AWD car in an Orlando rain storm? Try it. The added grip will make you ignore FWD and curse RWD. Not even considering the added power of a dual motor.

I forgot I had even posted in this thread, heh. I've actually never driven an AWD car to my knowledge, so I wouldn't have any basis to compare it to. I can't even recall if I've even driven any RWD cars, and if I have it probably was not to my knowledge. BUT, all the more reason to lean towards getting the D. I was just saying that it isn't a necessity for me if getting AWD becomes a major price factor for me.

Elon Musk already announced, around the middle of 2015, that the base Model ≡ would be rear wheel drive.

Reeler: No. There will never be a Front Wheel Drive version of Model ≡. With electric drive you gain exactly ZERO of the advantages that FWD offers an ICE.

I accidentally voted AWD, since that is what I plan to get, but I think Elon has already said base version will be RWD, so that is what I expect. [Mods: If possible, you can change my vote to RWD.]

I know he has said it would be single-motor/2WD in base version, and I really do think it will be RWD, but do you have a source that he actually have said it will be RWD?

Elon Musk already announced, around the middle of 2015, that the base Model ≡ would be rear wheel drive.

Reeler: No. There will never be a Front Wheel Drive version of Model ≡. With electric drive you gain exactly ZERO of the advantages that FWD offers an ICE.

In the snow, dirt, or sand, a FWD is a better engineering design than RWD. In these situations, tirespin creates oversteer in RWD (not good mixed with cars/trees/poles) but FWD creates understeer or neutral. Chains on the nose of a FWD cars kick the crap out of chains on a RWD. If you get stuck in a FWD, you can saw the wheel and try 4 directions both forward and reverse as well as rocking. RWD gives you only rocking, and it is not at good at it. To get up an icy driveway, you back a FWD up it, which gives you more control if it decides to slide. RWD, you are just along for the ride if it slides.

Note, most my vehicles are RWD or 4x4. But I have a lot of practice in snow, sand, and dirt in all three designs. RWD is my favorite around a track, but I can acknowledge that renting a Civic is way smarter than renting a Camaro for snow duty.

A phillips screwdriver is better than a flat blade by design. However, the right tool for the application is always better.

Those who think there is torque steer and massive understeer on modern FWD cars need to actually drive one.

I'm guessing the Model 3 will be RWD since it appears to be aimed at the BMW 3xx cars. But I would not rent a 3xx for skiing or desert use anyhow. And I certainly wouldn't buy a 3xx. Econobox with badging slower than it's RWD competitors? Meh, badges don't add HP.

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone seems to be hung up on the 3 being "economy". Yes, I get that they're naturally competing with the Bolt. But EM has already said to think of it more as a 3-series/A4 competitor.

The 3 series is RWD, the A4 in its most basic form is FWD.

So who knows what Tesla is going to do here.............

Thank you it's freaking annoying people calling the car economy with no basis at ALL... Mass Market does not mean economy.. Mass Market means the Model 3 will be in the most popular luxury segment which includes, C Class, A4, 3 Series, 4 Series, Q50 and so on where the most cars are sold.. This is the largest luxury market by far...

Thank you it's freaking annoying people calling the car economy with no basis at ALL... Mass Market does not mean economy.. Mass Market means the Model 3 will be in the most popular luxury segment which includes, C Class, A4, 3 Series, 4 Series, Q50 and so on where the most cars are sold.. This is the largest luxury market by far...

The elitism on this board is starting to show through. Everyone who is looking at the Model 3 from Model S and X-colored glasses sees an "econobox", yet they want priority on putting down deposits on them.

So is it a POS, or not? Are you ashamed that "your brand" will have an affordable model? and if so....why do you want one?

Touche....fair enough.

But....while not every person on this board who owns an S/X has called the 3 an econobox, everyone who has owns an S or an X, or more than one, according to their signatures.

Again, not everyone :p (I do see what you mean, and I'm just teasing. there are a handful of folks lately who own Model S's/X's who portray an elitist attitude)

|
|
|
V

Again, not everyone :p (I do see what you mean, and I'm just teasing. there are a handful of folks lately who own Model S's/X's who portray an elitist attitude)

|
|
|
V

:wink: I just find it funny that the ones who are doing it don't even realize they are contradicting themselves.......

or maybe they do realize it. They're trying to get "the unwashed" to believe it will be a terrible "econobox" POS, so they can get in line and get reservations for it.

When, if you look at the big picture, Tesla needs this car. They're still leaking red ink all over their financial statements, even after people have paid over $120K for vehicles. The Model 3 not only brings EV to the masses, it keeps Tesla afloat with much needed capital, which they (will hopefully) use to make technological improvements throughout the lineup.

Elon has had this plan all along. It wasn't just an elaborate Pokemon game (gotta catch 'em all!) for the wealthy.

So again, embrace your incoming Tesla brothers and sisters, you'll thank them when your Roadster reaches "Maximum Plaid", or you're driving a refreshed Model S or X or even a new Model Y in a few years.

In the snow, dirt, or sand, a FWD is a better engineering design than RWD.
A large majority of entry level luxury sedan buyers will never see those conditions or will see them so rarely it does not matter. While torque steer can happen in all road conditions.

Those who think there is torque steer and massive understeer on modern FWD cars need to actually drive one.
The same goes for those who have not tried a modern RWD EV (like the S). I have yet to seen any complaints about its snow performance despite being a RWD car. This had been argued ad infinitum: an RWD EV eliminates most of the advantages of FWD in poor road conditions because of a balanced weight bias (more weight over rear wheels), immediate and precise torque adjustment, and modern traction/stability control. At any rate, having the right tires is far more important than the drive wheel.

On the other hand, torque steer is very much alive in FWD cars once you reach past a certain amount of torque/power. Look at cars like the Mazdaspeed 3, Focus ST/RS, Golf GTi. The Mazdaspeed 3/Focus ST handles torque steer by limiting torque. The Focus RS uses a special RevoKnuckle suspension (expensive and heavier). None of these eliminate torque steer. Golf GTi uses an electronic LSD that can send 100% torque to either front wheel (the best solution) but is also expensive. And the weight balance of an EV actually makes things worse for FWD as it shifts the weight away from the drive wheels.