Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there is just no way there isn't some type of configuration that creates a flat floor on ALL versions of the X. it was one of the hilights of the original 2012 reveal. everyone chill, we are going to get exactly what we have been promised :cool:

if we are lucky, Tesla has been monitoring this thread and Elon will mention something on Colbert tomorrow!

I think this is the most likely scenario based on:
1) The slides from Elon's presentation (seen else where in this thread

and most importantly but not mentioned:
2) Look at the carpeting on the floor. There isn't that oval shaped notch there for style or no function. That whole row is clearly meant to move forward to allow 3rd row ingress and egress. Also to move back to accommodate the 2nd. row fold down.

I don't think the pedestal will go down because that would complicate the skateboard deign for the battery bank and also make the whole think incompatible with the other series for the scenario where your whole battery pack is removed and replaced with a fully charged one.

I don't think that the second row will go under the front seat because there is quite frankly no where for it to go and 1) above.

This may have already been mentioned, apologies if this info is known: I know there is/was some speculation that the Production models may give you another option for the second row seats that might allow folding. Based on a lengthy conversation with the NASales team yesterday this is NOT the case. No folding second row seats..period Sig or Production.

This may have already been mentioned, apologies if this info is known: I know there is/was some speculation that the Production models may give you another option for the second row seats that might allow folding. Based on a lengthy conversation with the NASales team yesterday this is NOT the case. No folding second row seats..period Sig or Production.

That is certainly an interesting tidbit, if true.

- - - Updated - - -

there is just no way there isn't some type of configuration that creates a flat floor on ALL versions of the X. it was one of the hilights of the original 2012 reveal. everyone chill, we are going to get exactly what we have been promised :cool:

If there is, we aren't aware of one for the Model X Signature. I'm sure many Signature reservationists are interested in this question - it would be good to know if the flat rear is coming sometime soon or if not.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the main reason why the second row seats down fold are the seat belts.
They don't want to attach seat belts on the falcon wing doors, so the seats themselves need to be very rigid in case of accidents.

Interesting point. See, this is why community hashing things out is so great. :)

Why an earth are you speculating of folding second row seats, when Design Studio says, only third row folds? Are you thinking Tesla is lying?
Tesla is likely holding some things back for the delivery announcement somewhere around September 29th. This could be one thing they would be holding back, but I don't think so. The Signatures will not have a folding second row.

- - - Updated - - -

It hasn't been mentioned before, but I choose not to believe this. I will wait for official information before cancelling.

If true, Tesla should have just delayed the launch of the Model X until they got the 2nd row seats right.

Tesla is likely holding some things back for the delivery announcement somewhere around September 29th. This could be one thing they would be holding back, but I don't think so. The Signatures will not have a folding second row.

- - - Updated - - -

It hasn't been mentioned before, but I choose not to believe this. I will wait for official information before cancelling.

If true, Tesla should have just delayed the launch of the Model X until they got the 2nd row seats right.

We have all gotten incorrect info from TM staff before. The info I provided may be wrong. However, I was very specific about my questions as I would like the seats to fold. I have both a sig and production reservation . I did this just in case the sigS had standard features I did not want. So, my question centered specifically about a different option in the second row seating in the PX vehicles. The answer to that specific question was No option for folding seats.

We have all gotten incorrect info from TM staff before. The info I provided may be wrong. However, I was very specific about my questions as I would like the seats to fold. I have both a sig and production reservation . I did this just in case the sigS had standard features I did not want. So, my question centered specifically about a different option in the second row seating in the PX vehicles. The answer to that specific question was No option for folding seats.

It is also possible that information is really pertinent to the initial launch ramp-up only (say, first 25,000 cars to throw a number on the wall), even if staff induction may have simply made it an explicit fact.

Folding second row may have been delayed due to concerns, perhaps by 6-12 months for example. In that case it would be in Tesla's interest to inform everyone (staff included) that non-folding is the name of the game for both Signature and Production - and simply upgrade the later Production configuration eventually when all is said and done.

Just speculating of course. It seems plausible that crash rigidity might have foiled the folding second row for a longer while, too.

I have to admit your information sounds believable. It might be that the Model X launches with non-folding seats, they keep working on it and then it comes a few months or a year or two down the line. But there's no harm in keeping my reservation a month longer. Maybe the standard seats do fold after all, or maybe the solution for the non-folding seats is sufficiently clever. No way of knowing until more information is available.

I have to admit your information sounds believable. It might be that the Model X launches with non-folding seats, they keep working on it and then it comes a few months or a year or two down the line. But there's no harm in keeping my reservation a month longer. Maybe the standard seats do fold after all, or maybe the solution for the non-folding seats is sufficiently clever. No way of knowing until more information is available.

I agree that it *could* be an option in the future. However, it was mentioned up thread that they may be non folding as the seat belt anchors can not be on the falcon doors and must be rigid and integrated into the seats.
I would invite anyone to email [email protected] to try to confirm my information. I really would like second row folding seats and hope I am wrong/got incorrect info.

I think the main reason why the second row seats down fold are the seat belts.
They don't want to attach seat belts on the falcon wing doors, so the seats themselves need to be very rigid in case of accidents.

I've been saying this over and over again ;)

So whilst we blame the complexity of the seats to the pedestal... the complexity of the seats is a function of the doors :(

I've been saying this over and over again ;)

So whilst we blame the complexity of the seats to the pedestal... the complexity of the seats is a function of the doors :(

Out of curiosity, anyone recall any cars with folding second rows where the seatbelts attach to the seats... and the seats don't attach to, say, the trunk when raised up?

I understand many SUVs with sliding doors have the seatbelts around the C pillar. Falcon wings on the Model X making that location impractical. But anyone recall of another company doing a separate, folding second row with seatbelts integrated into the seats?

I'm sure there is some, but I couldn't immediately think of one.

The second row of my current Explorer has a (folding) middle seat with integrated seatbelt. My previous Aviator was the same. So I guess this is reasonably common, at least for middle seats. No reason it couldn't be replicated for the outer seats?

That does all hang together, and would be pretty slick. I'm not convinced there's enough clearance under the front seats, but if it turns out to be the case, I can see how that would be pretty impressive.

And Tesla's statement that "the second row does not fold" remains true. Being a bit pedantic, but they want to preserve their big reveal.

I've been thinking this but have been reluctant to say anything. I am holding out for a true reveal, to be clear. However if this is the case, in conjunction with my other thread about door clearances I'm going to be tremendously disappointed in these doors. I'm thankful in this case that my reservation is 8k. I have some time to see the vehicle and the experience of others.

I'm now of the mindset that the 2nd row seats, as shown, don't fold flat. However, I still think like many others, that another 2nd row seat will come out. I'm guessing this will either be in time for the sigs, or within the next few months.

The reason I say this is because over the weekend I got talking to a guy who insists Tesla is going to be making their seats in-house. He says the current the current seat contracts have been cancelled and a section of the factory is being re-done, as we speak, to allow manufacturing of the seats. Supposedly construction is done by 9/14. The timing is CRAZY, I know. Now, PLEASE don't roast me like EDS or throwawayaccount. I'm not vouching for the truthiness (i'm watching colbert tonight!) of this information. Just that this person seemed very earnest and sincere and I have no reason to doubt him.

It wouldn't be out of character for Tesla to do this. I always wondered why Tesla would sub contract seats given they like to in-house things that they feel are important enough. As for timing and getting that up and running that quickly, remains to be seen, unless they made a deal and bought all the equipment from the supplier and hired a bunch of their employees??