Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Tesla Truck be "luxury" or will it be 100% utility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think the Tesla truck is being designed as a tool or as a symbol? Honestly, I think it should be a work truck at its core for fleets and tradesmen with options that broaden its appeal to consumers. Prices need to begin under $50,000 for a 100% usable truck that can haul and get dirty and cover 100% of daily truck use cases.

Tesla is known as a "luxury" brand, but the truck my be an opportunity for them to tone down that image so that future cars (compacts/hatches) don't have to be competing as if Tesla were a strictly up-scale brand.

Both. Sort of. And it won't matter. EM has already said the price will start at $50,000. And Tesla is known more so as a premium EV than luxury EV.

My two cents is, when Tesla produces the first trucks, they won't be able to make them fast enough for the businesses that will want them. With the brand already proven itself to be such low maintenance, business will rush to buy it. Charge overnight, full tank in the morning? Rush to install 50 amp circuits at businesses. Sold out WC's all the time. Reduced overhead. No-brainer. Permanent valet mode so workers won't drive the tires off it the first year. Fleet version of the app.

Last edited:
Have you seen some of the work trucks lately? They aren't exactly 100% utility.

I guess it depends on what you mean by luxury. I wouldn't expect them to have manual windows. Except for AC seats and better more adjustable seats I can't really think of any feature I would associate with luxury cars. Anything I used to consider luxury car features are now standard all almost all cars at this point. Slightly nicer finishes and a bit quieter cabin.

I guess it depends on what you mean by luxury. I wouldn't expect them to have manual windows. Except for AC seats and better more adjustable seats I can't really think of any feature I would associate with luxury cars. Anything I used to consider luxury car features are now standard all almost all cars at this point. Slightly nicer finishes and a bit quieter cabin.
Utility with pickups was established long ago. Luxury is really the last decade. Its funny how they advertise capabilities, rocks dumped into beds, towing mountains, etc... but its not until you get on the lot that you find things like heated and cooled massaging seats.

I think Luxury isn't what it use to be. I believe today luxury is now identified by a brand name.

I think it will be something that traditional automakers would come up with as a prototype that they would never make. Part utility with two screens like the semi and tailgate lift and part luxury being able to haul a family of 6.

I honestly don't think Tesla wants to sell a lot of these. Just looking at battery production and you will see that they had their hands full with Model 3. Now they need to double or triple that for Model Y and the storage.

I believe that having 120/240V power source will be a huge differentiator for Tesla.
Others will be extreme towing capacity and great handling.
Imagine having silent power available anywhere on a jobsite. Run a saw, welder, compressor, railgun, blower, etc.

Could be a game changer.

Of course, there will still be cases where a gas or diesel truck will still be the better choice.

Reactions: Akikiki
Have you walked around a Chevy or Ford dealership lately? The "HD" work trucks are a tiny percentage, tucked way back in the corner, sold by the fleet salespeople. The people that buy those stripped trucks buy for fleets and they shop on price. Tesla needs margin in order to hide the battery costs. They need to sell Cowboy Cadillacs (that's what most trucks on the lots are these days). They will get the self-employed contractors that can buy a "work truck" that they also use as their family hauler. But to do that they need amenities.

I believe that having 120/240V power source will be a huge differentiator for Tesla.
Imagine having silent power available anywhere on a jobsite. Run a saw, welder, compressor, railgun, blower, etc.

Could be a game changer.

Of course, there will still be cases where a gas or diesel truck will still be the better choice.

If I'm not mistaken, Rivian announced they would have a 240 and/or 120 in their truck bed over 12mo ago. I think this required Tesla to follow suit

Could be a game changer.

I believe this is possible too! Especially for vehicle-to-grid (V2G) applications. Imagine the cybertruck capable of reversing the flow of electricity to support a solar and Powerwall setup.

One thing has become very clear in California and other States. The Utility companies are not capable of providing relable and inexpensive electricity to power our homes, vehicles and businesses. With Nuclear being dismantled, coal under pressure, and even natural gas looked upon as a gross polluter, the solution to electric generation seems to be an efficient falling water, solar, wind mix.

Problem with this eco generation is that it is neither constant or reliable. That is where EV and Power Wall type storage can provide a solution by taking up the electricity when it is plentiful and storing it until it is needed.

You will plug in your EV and home storage to suck up electrons when the sun is shining, the water is falling and the wind is blowing. Then, as night falls and the wind dies and the Sun no longer shines, we can use our personal and governmental stored electrons to provide for a dependable quality of life. The costs will eventually drop, the storage will become big enough and our cars available to supply the grid that the pollution of energy generation will be gone and the skies just a bit more blue.

Communities will become self sufficient during natural disasters as well as Utilities mis-calculations.

Believe the same solution will be found for fresh water. In most regions there is enought rainfall and snowmelt to provide clean water for our communities. The problem, like electricity, is more storage. California suffers cronic water shortages, but in fact, most of our snow melt and rainwater is simply and foolishly dumped into the ocean. More storage resevoirs would go a long way in reducing out need to transport large amounts of water from other states. We have done this because it was cheap and we bullied other states into signing agreements to transport their water to us. California must learn to be more self sufficient here as well.

Agree. California releases billions of gallons of fresh snow melt water...some of the best water on Earth, to protect endangered fish species.

That was great when we had excess fresh water. We flushed all our great water, then began to suck dry our neighboring states. Spent $Billions to import that water so as not to make the fish suffer.

Now our farmers can no longer water their crops. People are out of work, kids have no money for school, crime is increasing, the rich are fleeing and the poor of the world are rushing into that very generous state to obtain benefits far greater than their home country.

The population is growing and they are thirsty. Gotta plan to prioritize drinking and irrigation water ahead of endangered fish.

San Francisco has the best water there is. They tap Hetch Ketchy inside beautiful Yosemite National Park. That provides enough for those citizens and politicians, but nothing left for the farmers. Other areas could also be used as catch basins. Would be an expensive, but rational solution.

LA also has lots of fresh rainwater and snow melt, but when it rains heavy, or the snow melts rapidly they have not enough storage to catch all that free water. Most of it just gets funnled and run to the ocean. No fish are helped, it is just flushed.

If a river needs to be maintained, for environmental reasons, that water could also be collected before entering the ocean. Both fish and people would benefit...but flushed it is.

I feel that it would be a better tradeoff to provide enough water to be self sufficient. If water is left over to maintain endangered fish (snail darter) then that would be a good thing.

Many of our smaller cities have had their water cut off or severly restricted. Wells have been tapped, but running dry.

To me, more storage is the solution. Once we have enough capacity for our citizens and farmers, then any excess can be used to maintain streams to the ocean in drought years.

I hope it has both. I went camping last weekend with guys pulling ATV's and boats. The GMC p/u had heating and cooling seats (air blows from the seat) and a multi-functional tailgate with built-in speakers to play music from the phone or the truck. Nice sound too! All the while, loaded with camp gear and pulling a boat.
I hope Cbyrtruck is as rugged as my Tacoma and as refines as the King Ranch, with the ability to carry the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Agree. California releases billions of gallons of fresh snow melt water...some of the best water on Earth, to protect endangered fish species.

Now our farmers can no longer water their crops. People are out of work, kids have no money for school, crime is increasing, the rich are fleeing and the poor of the world are rushing into that very generous state to obtain ....

while water storage and slowing flow/maximizing intermediate use is good, and bidirectional consumer owned batteries can be an underestimated boost to reusable energy, the rest of these posts are both off topic and shows a lack of systems thinking deserving a wholehearted “ok boomer”.

..let’s get back to EV trucks?

Reactions: Akikiki