Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will they discontinue the 7-seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not, and also doubt it.

They would not have bothered to bring the Model Y to production in a form that they could not fit a 3rd row. Because Tesla has a limited range of models, they work very hard to make each model cover several market segments.

Model S: Large luxury/performance sedan, (before Model 3) large premium sedan, (before Model X) luxury station wagon
Model X: Large luxury/performance CUV, (before Model Y) large premium CUV, (before Model Y) midsize performance/luxury/premium CUV
Model 3: Midsize/small luxury/performance/premium sedan
Model Y: Midsize/small luxury/performance/premium CUV
Cybertruck: Full-size luxury/performance/premium standard/crew cab short/full bed pickup (6.5' bed in a 5.5' bed vehicle length)
Semi: Short/long haul tractor

You can see from how they've positioned their cars over time that the Model Y will be expected to cover a huge range of segments until they have (something like) a Cybertruck-based SUV that is less expensive to build than the Model X, and (something like) a Model 2-based CUV. Without the 3rd row, Model Y won't be able to cover the midsize market and meet Elon's stated goal of selling more than S3X combined.

It should be noted that they are willing to go a bit off script to accomplish similar goals (see the Model S jump-seats that let it serve the wagon/CUV market until the Model X was ready).

I hope not, and also doubt it.

They would not have bothered to bring the Model Y to production in a form that they could not fit a 3rd row. Because Tesla has a limited range of models, they work very hard to make each model cover several market segments.

Model S: Large luxury/performance sedan, (before Model 3) large premium sedan, (before Model X) luxury station wagon
Model X: Large luxury/performance CUV, (before Model Y) large premium CUV, (before Model Y) midsize performance/luxury/premium CUV
Model 3: Midsize/small luxury/performance/premium sedan
Model Y: Midsize/small luxury/performance/premium CUV
Cybertruck: Full-size luxury/performance/premium standard/crew cab short/full bed pickup (6.5' bed in a 5.5' bed vehicle length)
Semi: Short/long haul tractor

You can see from how they've positioned their cars over time that the Model Y will be expected to cover a huge range of segments until they have (something like) a Cybertruck-based SUV that is less expensive to build than the Model X, and (something like) a Model 2-based CUV. Without the 3rd row, Model Y won't be able to cover the midsize market and meet Elon's stated goal of selling more than S3X combined.

It should be noted that they are willing to go a bit off script to accomplish similar goals (see the Model S jump-seats that let it serve the wagon/CUV market until the Model X was ready).

I hope you're right w/ your analysis.

I almost bought the the Model S jump-seats version till my daughter refused to sit in the trunk by herself. I'm glad she did that .

Q is why not release it right from the beginning rather than make us wait till next year?

I almost bought the the Model S jump-seats version till my daughter refused to sit in the trunk by herself. I'm glad she did that .
Haha, smart kid :)

Q is why not release it right from the beginning rather than make us wait till next year?
Risk management. The fewer variants they are producing initially the less risk there is during initial production. They are releasing 1 battery pack, 1 drive train, 1 interior layout. They only things they have to vary between initial Model Ys are colors, wheels, and the bin-quality of the motors.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
I wish Tesla would commit to a retrofit option later. Long-term I need the 7 seater, but I would buy a 5 seater now if I was sure I could retrofit at a cost similar to the 7 seat option.
I agree. Wish they'd just sell you the seats later.

there is an retrofit option w/ the Model S jump-seats version. but you had to buy reinforcement and do "surgery" to the car.