Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will they fit? 19" +30 offset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to determine if the wheels from my 3-series will fit the S.

Specs:

Front: 19x8.5 +30 - 235/35/19
Rear: 19x9.5 +30 - 265/30/19

I would change sidewalls to 45, but mainly concerned with the offset. Looks like there is enough room, but wondering if anyone has any experience w/ +30 offset wheels.

Update 1: Called Tirerack and they recommend this:

* Front: 245/45/19
* Rear: 275/40/19

They thought 265 would look weird in comparison, not sure why/how. I also notice that there are no 265 wide tires available that MATCH the 245/45/19s...plenty of 275/40/19's match. Not even sure they will fit...

Update 2: Going to a local shop to get a test fitment and measurements done so we can figure out what the correct thing to do is.

Update 3: So, it looks like you can fit +30mm offset wheels no problem. The tire sizes I wanted Front: 245/45-19 / Rear: 265/40-19. But, you won't be able to find a matching set of tires in this configuration. I could try going up to 275 tires but then you might have clearance issues. The shop thinks that the inside of the tire will rub, in which case you'll need to get a spacer. And even worse case scenario is that you'll have to roll the fender.

I also learned today that an extra set of TPMS sensors is $500 and having Tesla code them to the car is $150 or so!! Geez.

Gotta do cost analysis to see if style is worth the hassle. The wheels I'm putting on are Volk LE-37A's for anyone that cares. Classics.

Update 4
  • Switched to Continental DW. Front: 245/45-19 Rear 275/40-19
  • No rubbing issues. The A/S tires rubbed in the front when I went in reverse.

In Summary:

• +30mm offset wheels are fine
  • This is a staggered setup: front 8.5", rear 9.5"
  • Front: 245/45-19 Rear 275/40-19 fit without a problem.
  • I'm running Continental DW tires. I had Michelin A/S tires on and the front rubbed when I reversed and turned the wheel 90% of the way in one direction.
  • TPMS sensors are $500, coding at Tesla is $150ish but they did it free for me one time

View attachment 18535

Last edited:
Trying to determine if the wheels from my 3-series will fit the S.

Specs:

Front: 19x8.5 +30 - 235/35/19
Rear: 19x9.5 +30 - 265/30/19

I would change sidewalls to 45, but mainly concerned with the offset. Looks like there is enough room, but wondering if anyone has any experience w/ +30 offset wheels.

I've got +38 on the car now and there is plenty of room from the sidewall of the tire to the fender. TONS OF ROOM! If you have the wheels already (it sounds like you do) I would slap them on and drop the ride height to low and check how much room you have in the rear. The fronts shouldn't give you a problem with the tire size plus the offset. The rears on the other hand may give you some trouble with the extra inch of wheel plus the lower offset.

I would suggest just adding camber in the rear to compensate but from lolachamp's posts it seems that there are no eccentric bolts in the rear to adjust the camber.

Edit: You also want to account for body roll and suspension compression. While the MS handles pretty well there is still a good bit of body roll which may impact clearance when cornering. I can't wait to hear your impressions and test fit results since I would really like to move to a more aggressive staggered fitment on my car.

I'd like to put some matte graphite Vossen CV4's on my car when it arrives. 20x9 would be ideal but I have no idea if they would fit inside the wheel well (+38mm offset) or what tires to get to compensate for the bigger wheel (from the stock 19x8).

VVSCV4

MONOBLOCK

AVAILABLE SIZES: 20x9 | 20x10.5
BOLT PATTERNS: 5x120 | 5x112 | 5x114.3

Test fit time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362607707.503317.jpg

Tapatalk uploaded the image upside down (happens a lot with iphone apps, annoying).

So, it looks like you can fit +30mm offset wheels no problem. The tire sizes I wanted Front: 245/45-19 / Rear: 265/40-19. But, you won't be able to find a matching set of tires in this configuration. I could try going up to 275 tires but then you might definitely have clearance issues. The shop thinks that the inside of the tire will rub, in which case you'll need to get a spacer. And even worse case scenario is that you'll have to roll the fender.

I also learned today that an extra set of TPMS sensors is $500 and having Tesla code them to the car is $150 or so!! Geez.

Gotta do cost analysis to see if style is worth the hassle. The wheels I'm putting on are Volk LE-37A's for anyone that cares. Classics.

245/265 is not an odd combo, in fact its the stock sizing for the E9x M3. Granted its 245/35 265/35 but still it works for them. I do feel the front to rear size difference could cause issues in your model S though.

Bill from my local TM shop Sept 2012: Qty 4 Model S STD TPM : List $53.73 Net: $53.73 Amt: $214.92 (+ tax). Setup to remove TPMS error will be 'free' whenever I get back there. Meanwhile error msg is only on screen, NO audio harassment (thanx!!). FWIW.
--

245/265 is not an odd combo, in fact its the stock sizing for the E9x M3. Granted its 245/35 265/35 but still it works for them. I do feel the front to rear size difference could cause issues in your model S though.

Correct, with 45/40 sidewalls there is no matching set of tires available. The more popular rear tire choice is 255 or 275. 30/35 sidewalls are not an option because their load tolerances are too low.

I don't think different width tires will cause much of an issue since my wheels are different widths. There's much more room in the rear, so someday we may start seeing much more aggressive rear wheel combos.

Thanks for that mnx. I reached out to johnmodels with some info. At this point, I think i'll pull the trigger ont he 275s.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for that mnx. I reached out to johnmodels with some info. At this point, I think i'll pull the trigger ont he 275s.

maybe you can use the roadster TPMS SENSORS. Sold on web at discount.

My service center said they would code them one time for free.

I also found out that the sensors are made by another company. Don't know which (he just heard it from another coworker) and that we may be able to find 3rd party sensors if we had the manufacturer part numbers. I may just cough up the cash for one and do the research to find the generic ones.

They fit!

Here's a couple photos:

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

It rides a little softer. The wheels only weigh 19 pounds. The only thing I'm a little sad about is how much wheel gap there is on the 19s. Hopefully I can see a difference in energy usage. Haven't been able to drive it much this weekend, but once I get back to work I'll be able to reliably tell what impact the lighter wheels have.

They look pretty good and I can see that there is a ton more room to the fender. I would guess that you have about another 10-15mm of space between the fender and the tire. With that being said we could go pretty wide or really aggressive on the offset of wheels. A 10" wide wheel at +30 seems quite "doable".

The only issue that I have, and you bought it up, is that when you put flush fitting wheels on a car at stock ride height it gives the illusion that there is more fender gap then there actually is. Having the air suspension only complicates things since we can force the car to be lower AT ALL TIMES. I would love to see someone come out with a CANBUS controller that will allow owners to set a fixed air suspension ride height and keep it there.

Do us a favor and set the car to low and snap some pics. I bet you will like the look much better!

Nice volks!! are they te37 or te37sl? What are the exact dimensions? I'd like to get a set!

They are LE-37A's. Glossy black. They are discontinued, but you may be able to find some on the E92 bmw forums. (I saw a silver set recently) I really wanted the setup to work because they are discontinued!

I'll try to snap some more pics today. THe ones I took yesterday were blurry :(