Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who has it and spent months on the fence deciding if I would or wouldn’t buy it, I love it. That said it’s a very personal decision. The argument that it’s not a good investment is incorrect, in my opinion. The car isn’t an investment period. The moment you drove away with it, it lost a bunch of value. I bought into where the technology might go. I love all the updates. It’s not FOMO, it’s just it brings me a lot of joy. 7 K is a lot of money but if you can afford it,why not. Heck, I spent 10K on a family Disney Cruise in January and loved every minute of it, was that a good investment, no.

Reactions: EinSV
Heck, I spent 10K on a family Disney Cruise in January and loved every minute of it, was that a good investment, no.

Between what I saved on this summer’s Disney cruises and summer camp (all of which are canceled!) - we made a nice down payment on a Model X. Seems like as good a use of the funds as any!

Reactions: Iain and totoro722
I was in this boat, bought for $2K.

My reasoning is that I’ll make most of that back in resale if needed due to HW3, even if there are no other real benefits as I had EAP.

If you already have EAP, your upgrade is only $4,000 (before July 1, going to $5,000 after). It comes with the HW3 computer upgrade, which is why some EAP owners buy it.

At $7k I doubt I would buy it until it has some legality (level 3 on highway) behind it, which most likely won’t be here until I switched cars at least twice. Rather put that $7k towards switching car after 2 years instead of waiting 3.

I just bought it. As I mentioned earlier, the current feature set (plus "autosteer on city streets") is not worth quite $7k to me, but I decided to buy it as more of a toy. I am not expecting to have real autonomous driving at any point, but I am hopeful they get to Level 3 in limited situations in the next five years.

A car is not an investment unless it starts making you money. The only advantage at the moment is demand... go Tesla! Which holds the price a little longer. Raising the price of FSD imo is just going to alienate users unless you drop the price of the car to compensate. Until the robotaxi moment where genuine money is earned when not in use this would be an investment if it pays for and more for the total value of the car. The thing is the more FSD increases the less money back to you. I would say £7000 is worth it if the car drives itself and turns off wrong less. But without 1 a working example of proper FSD in a city and 2 government legality as we can see FSD is nerfed in the UK, the car has limited turn. Then what 2026 before we can mobilise a user fleet for that. Granted what My heart hopes for is in 2 years my model 3 can do this, pay the £12000 it maybe then knowing it will make me £20k that year. But at the current rate with patches being good and bad it is years not 2020 end. I just cant see it handling the cities of UK from a to b unless empty. Until that it is a no for me, software testers usually get paid.

Reactions: hlin07
Surely they will need to introduce speed limit sign reading AND automatic city driving first??? I just can't see another price increase without that - I am still wondering if the $5K I paid was too much for what I currently have, which is the latest.

Tesla's gonna have to have one hell of a software update in the next few weeks.

I just bought it. As I mentioned earlier, the current feature set (plus "autosteer on city streets") is not worth quite $7k to me, but I decided to buy it as more of a toy. I am not expecting to have real autonomous driving at any point, but I am hopeful they get to Level 3 in limited situations in the next five years.

Yeah, the problem I have with that is that the FSD is tied to the car and the added resale value before it is proper legal level 3 (or better) is unknown. I would be completely satisfied with legal to use level 3 in limited situations (highway) and would pay twice the current FSD price without blinking. The problem is that if that comes in 4-5 years I will for sure have switched from my Model 3 I got in April, I might even have switched from the car that replaced it.

So I could have to buy FSD 3 times before I get any proper use from it.

Surely they will need to introduce speed limit sign reading AND automatic city driving first??? I just can't see another price increase without that - I am still wondering if the $5K I paid was too much for what I currently have, which is the latest.

Tesla's gonna have to have one hell of a software update in the next few weeks.

Not sure if you wrote this message with this information in mind, but if not, speed limit sign reading is coming very soon. Green found the code for speed limit signs and roundabouts in the latest version: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1271237694509780992?s=19

And for the moment both require HW3. I'm halfway tempted to buy FSD just for the speed limit sign reading.

Not sure if you wrote this message with this information in mind, but if not, speed limit sign reading is coming very soon. Green found the code for speed limit signs and roundabouts in the latest version: https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1271237694509780992?s=19

And for the moment both require HW3. I'm halfway tempted to buy FSD just for the speed limit sign reading.

He found the code for visualization of signs, and then added "the assets are in now. They will activate it later. not sure when exactly"

Sometimes background stuff in the code shows up days or weeks later in production- sometimes months- sometimes never.

He found the code for visualization of signs, and then added "the assets are in now. They will activate it later. not sure when exactly"

Sometimes background stuff in the code shows up days or weeks later in production- sometimes months- sometimes never.

Agreed. However combined with the context of Elon tweeting that it's "Coming soon" on May 8, I wouldn't be surprised if it's rolled out before July 1: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1258669984483430400?s=19

I also do not think a car is an investment, so obviously FSD would be even less of an investment.

That being said, FSD owner since 2019 and I love it.
//Navigate: Car(AWD3) is fun to drive, but NoA is also a different type of fun (it's like watching a puzzle solving itself). It does do crazy things once in a while, but as long as you're actively engaged, i'd say it's safer and more relaxing compared to no NoA.
//Summon: SS is also useful for me as I actually use it whenever I go to work. It's not too busy of a parking lot and I've probably used it 100x or so by now, so I have the confidence that it's going to work. It's always waiting for me outside the door when I come out of the office. I even use it without LoS(I know I know). Even when I'm not at work, I use it once in a while at other places too because it's just cool/fun. It's a toy, like someone mentioned previously. But of course, you need to use this responsibly. I mostly use it when I'm by myself, and would not use it in a busy parking lot or if I have to load/unload many things.
//Misc things such as auto lane change I use often too as I usually use AP on the streets (I turn off responding to traffic signals since it's super annoying). Auto park is crap; you need to find a spot between 2 cars and it will not find parking spots based off just lines. At least for me.
Another + for FSD is that it's just fun and exciting getting new updates.

I love FSD and I would get it again (for $8k, I got mine for $6k). When it comes to advice for family/friends, I tell them it's NOT worth it and to NOT get FSD. But if you have the $, why not. If you're that concerned about every $, you shouldn't be buying a tesla in the first place. Nothing is cheaper than buying a cheap 4 banger off CL and driving it till the wheels fall off.

haha, that's exactly why I bought it (FSD) in 20216! At least I finally get HW3 next week.

Agreed. However combined with the context of Elon tweeting that it's "Coming soon" on May 8, I wouldn't be surprised if it's rolled out before July 1: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1258669984483430400?s=19

To be fair- Elon also said in 2016 a cross-country autonomous drive was coming by the end of 2017 and still no sign we're remotely close to that happening... also in January 2017 he said the first FSD-only features beyond EAP would come in "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" and that didn't happen until over 3 years later (April 2020).... November 1 2018 Elon said enhanced summon was going to be ready in 6 weeks... it wasn't released until late September 2019, almost 11 months later.

Soon does not mean the same thing to you and I that it does to Elon generally :)

• Funny
Reactions: willow_hiller
just got a email saying they reduced the price of EAP to FSD to $3,000 as they saw i have not upgraded as of yet. Obviously this is a push to get last minute $ for tesla before the quarter end but seems like a good deal considering i never paid for EAP, as mine was an inventory car. FYI they also wanted to remove the EAP from my car but threatened them several times with small claims court and they finally gave in and i have an email in writing that my car and account now show this car to have EAP.

Reactions: camthehombre