Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess we could leave it at "to each his own". But at some point retro cars without automation will present more danger to others as well.

There's never been an on-time and on-budget high tech project. That's how it is. And for all the vocal doubting Thomases in such threads, there's a silent majority who uneventfully love and use all the features of a fully equipped Tesla, and appreciate the OTA updates. Not too worried about what next and when.

@Ofarlig have you seen this sort of thing? It's like my typical drive in the US. What you wanted, I think. In Sweden? soon if you press your regulators.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I guess we could leave it at "to each his own". But at some point retro cars without automation will present more danger to others as well.

There's never been an on-time and on-budget high tech project. That's how it is. And for all the vocal doubting Thomases in such threads, there's a silent majority who uneventfully love and use all the features of a fully equipped Tesla, and appreciate the OTA updates. Not too worried about what next and when.

@Ofarlig have you seen this sort of thing? It's like my typical drive in the US. What you wanted, I think. In Sweden? soon if you press your regulators.

I live pretty close to that YouTuber so I actually went and more or less followed his route to test my own FSD experience. I don't expect autonomous driving anytime soon, but I am glad I bought it. Having seen videos of the green light / follow protocol that's now out to the early access program users, I am even more excited about my FSD purchase. I think it's all a matter of calibrating expectations. True autonomous self driving capability would be worth far more than $7-8k. Heck, even the Cadillac SuperCruise that is basically like vanilla autopilot that allows limited hands free driving is at least a $2.5k option. Tesla doesn't do themselves any favors with their marketing materials showing our glorious autonomous future, but as long as buyer's read the fine print and realize they are signing up for a specific set of driver assistance features I think most will find it's still well worth the $7k.

Before I picked up my car I personally thought it was worth more in the $5k range, but I've since revised my opinion upward after playing with it and having some flawless driving experiences.

Received app notification that EAP to FSD upgrade is reduced to $3000. I'm sorely tempted.

Does HW3 perform any better than 2.5 for Autosteer/NoA/Autopilot? I know Elon has said in the past it doesn't but wonder if there is any experience to confirm/refute that claim.

Although freeway driving is fully autonomous now on EAP

I think that's overstating the case a bit :)

Works great the vast majority of the time, but besides still requiring driver attention (since it still can't- and maybe never will- be able to properly deal with all objects in road/stopped vehicles partly in lane/etc) I still occasionally get "exit not supported" type stuff on some exits and even some interchanges between highways.

Seems to mostly fail on situations where the on ramp and the off ramp share the same, relatively short, lane...

Reactions: afadeev
I don't care about the 1%, and anyone who doesn't pay attention is nuts. I don't find supervising anywhere near as tiring as manually steering and pedaling, it's not even close. Yeah, 99% autonomous on the freeways is good enough for now. As for people who say it's worthless until it's handling every city street and driveway, and therefore they don't want it, they're welcome to hassle all 100% of every route manually ;-)

Today I had a situation where NOA couldn't make the interchange. Boo! There literally wasn't room between the exiting cars. It took me to the next exit, which required a short turn-around in manual, then a section in AP to get back on the freeway. A nuisance. But 1) so what? and 2) I couldn't have done it any better - and would have been a lot more stressed failing to make the exit. And that's not counting the other 99% of the ride, got to calmly listen to some awful repetitive Modern HipHop on Spotify.

I don't care about the 1%, and anyone who doesn't pay attention is nuts. I don't find supervising anywhere near as tiring as manually steering and pedaling, it's not even close. Yeah, 99% autonomous on the freeways is good enough for now. As for people who say it's worthless until it's handling every city street and driveway, and therefore they don't want it, they're welcome to hassle all 100% of every route manually ;-)

Today I had a situation where NOA couldn't make the interchange. Boo! There literally wasn't room between the exiting cars. It took me to the next exit, which required a short turn-around in manual, then a section in AP to get back on the freeway. A nuisance. But 1) so what? and 2) I couldn't have done it any better - and would have been a lot more stressed failing to make the exit. And that's not counting the other 99% of the ride, got to calmly listen to some awful repetitive Modern HipHop on Spotify.

I agree. Some people here spend a lot of time/energy arguing about “True” FSD, L5, etc. Its a cool academic discussion, but TODAY the car can handle 80% of the driving I normally encounter, so I’m happy to wait for the other 20% to be sorted out over the years (or not). That’s mostly the city driving, that I rarely do, and TBH, would probably never fully trust because people are unpredictable and stupid.

I came in with no FSD expectations and ZERO trust of the system and was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked at how relaxing it is to unload a lot of the low level functions we instinctively do while driving.

Whether it’s Tesla or another brand some level of FSD is a must have for me going forward.

I agree. Some people here spend a lot of time/energy arguing about “True” FSD, L5, etc. Its a cool academic discussion, but TODAY the car can handle 80% of the driving I normally encounter, so I’m happy to wait for the other 20% to be sorted out over the years (or not). That’s mostly the city driving, that I rarely do, and TBH, would probably never fully trust because people are unpredictable and stupid.

I came in with no FSD expectations and ZERO trust of the system and was pleasantly surprised. I was shocked at how relaxing it is to unload a lot of the low level functions we instinctively do while driving.

Whether it’s Tesla or another brand some level of FSD is a must have for me going forward.

For me that had EAP with NoA before and now have just basic Autopilot I do not really see what practicality FSD brings over Autopilot before I can legally close my eyes with it. Most of the time I just sit in the middle lane until it’s time to get off the highway anyway so automatic lane changes aren’t really useful.

I think Autopilot is great but the added value of FSD would be the actual legality of full self driving in any capacity (even level 3).

Does HW3 perform any better than 2.5 for Autosteer/NoA/Autopilot? I know Elon has said in the past it doesn't but wonder if there is any experience to confirm/refute that claim.

I'm interested in this too. I have EAP now with HW 2.5. It's good, but still does dumb things on the highway.

I'm guessing eventually HW 2.5 AP will no longer have any development, so it will stay the same, while HW 3 improves. Much like AP 1.0 is frozen now.

I don’t think it’s worth my use case. When we have kids, we may decide to sell the car, and even if we don’t, the only time we’d ever use it is once or twice a year on a road trip. If Tesla offered a subscription for those times, I’d gladly pay it, but otherwise my $9.2K is best spent buying Tesla shares.

I compared new and used prices on ev-cpo.com for AP and FSD cars. The price difference is $4000. So, Tesla only values AP to FSD at $4,000. That's the maximum resale value difference. Presumably, the difference between EAP and FSD is somewhere between, but it is hard to value since Tesla isn't selling any cars with EAP. I'm guessing any HW2.5 cars that come in with EAP get it reset back to AP only, and any HW3 cars get FSD.

So that tells me the EAP to FSD upgrade will be worth something at resale, but unclear what. Since it is going to go from $3k to $5k in July, hopefully that changes the used pricing as well. I imagine the resale difference from EAP to FSD will be smaller than $3k, but the question is how much less will it be in a year? How much will it cost me to have whatever FSD features for a year before I sell the car? :)

I think I'm convinced that the price differential between AP and FSD for used cars will likely increase next month, so the FSD upgrade should be worth nearly $3k. I think that makes the decision to upgrade reasonable, since it won't cost me very much over the next year until I sell the car.

Uhh, change of plans. Purchased it.
I did the same thing. :D

My retirement fund says thank you. :)

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.30.11 AM.png

My retirement fund says thank you. :)

View attachment 558612
Nice gains so far, but I hope TSLA only makes up a small portion of your portfolio. As I was reading "The Intelligent Investor", TSLA checked virtually all the boxes for a Speculation stock that's overvalued. Of course there will always be people on the other side of the fence claiming TSLA should be worth 2000, no point getting into argument on its valuation, simply pointing out that don't put all eggs in one basket.