Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: 81% of Prospective Model 3 Owners Say They Won’t Pay Upfront For Full Self-Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]It seems most prospective Model 3 owners aren’t willing to shell out cash upfront for a $3,000 “full self-driving capability” option that is likely years away from becoming available to engage.

In a poll posted by jsraw 81.3% (347) of respondents said they will not pay for the feature at purchase. Adding the option later will cost an additional $1,000. Of respondents, 18.7% said they will pay for FSD upfront.

According to Tesla’s website, FSD “doubles the number of active cameras from four to eight, enabling full self-driving in almost all circumstances, at what we believe will be a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat. For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle.”

Elon Musk has said that level 5 autonomous driving is possible with second generation Autopilot and the FSD option, meaning the car is fully autonomous in any and all conditions. During his TED talk in April, Musk said the company plans to conduct by the end of 2017 a coast-to-coast demo drive from California to New York without the driver touching the wheel.

Obviously, there will be regulatory hurdles ahead and Musk has said it will likely be two years before owners will be able to engage FSD capability.

See a few comments on the poll below, or go to the thread here.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.24.50-PM.png
Swift

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.16.15-PM.png
EinSV

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.02-PM.png
jason1466

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.17.59-PM.png
Waiting4M3

Screen-Shot-2017-08-14-at-3.21.06-PM.png
Enginerd[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really interesting. I'm really surprised by the poll results, there doesn't seem to be much confidence in it FSD, IMO self-driving is the and definitely my main reason to buy a Tesla. I wouldn't even normally buy a car like Tesla because they are kind of flashy for me but the self-driving is a huge incentive to me, and I think it will be available fairly soon.

It doesn't seem like most people understand what's going on with the autopilot right now. It's far more advanced than current driving indicates. It's been learning in the background all this time, and once they have enough data they'll let start to let it loose.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
This is really interesting. I'm really surprised by the poll results, there doesn't seem to be much confidence in it FSD, IMO self-driving is the and definitely my main reason to buy a Tesla. I wouldn't even normally buy a car like Tesla because they are kind of flashy for me but the self-driving is a huge incentive to me, and I think it will be available fairly soon.

It doesn't seem like most people understand what's going on with the autopilot right now. It's far more advanced than current driving indicates. It's been learning in the background all this time, and once they have enough data they'll let start to let it loose.

If self-driving is the MAIN reason for you to buy a Tesla you may want to seriously re-think your purchase decision. There are a ton of great reasons to own a Tesla (I'm on my second) but self-driving is WAY down the list. As someone else posted in this thread...spend your hard earned money on what they are delivering as a product right now. Not promises which may never be fulfilled.

October 2014...Autopilot announced. Showed the pic below on the screen. Hey look, the dash shows the car next to you. AP1 has it. My EAP vehicle almost 3 years later...doesn't have it. Only shows the car in front (and it's often ping ponging back and forth like a drunk driver). Can't get the basics right at the moment.
teslamodelsdevent-014.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
If self-driving is the MAIN reason for you to buy a Tesla you may want to seriously re-think your purchase decision. There are a ton of great reasons to own a Tesla (I'm on my second) but self-driving is WAY down the list. As someone else posted in this thread...spend your hard earned money on what they are delivering as a product right now. Not promises which may never be fulfilled.

October 2014...Autopilot announced. Showed the pic below on the screen. Hey look, the dash shows the car next to you. AP1 has it. My EAP vehicle almost 3 years later...doesn't have it. Only shows the car in front (and it's often ping ponging back and forth like a drunk driver). Can't get the basics right at the moment.View attachment 240705

Yeah that's why I was surprised by the poll results, I guess everyone has their own priorities. I can see why current owners are disappointed, but as I understand it though, you can't really judge FSD by current autopilot performance.

Incidentally, last time I heard "middkidd" it was at the coolest graduation ceremony ever, where Fred Rodgers (Mr. Rodgers) was the speaker, 2001 I think.

I didn't see a similar poll here. I know I want EAP [Enhanced AutoPilot] but I'm just not positive FSD [Full Self-Driving] will be available during my time of ownership. On the other hand I hate to pay the $1K penalty should I choose to activate it later.

Poll obviously assumes you want EAP.
I will NOT be ordering FSD. I am trying to keep the price down and do not plan upgrades except the long range battery.
DSCN0025.jpg

Yeah that's why I was surprised by the poll results, I guess everyone has their own priorities. I can see why current owners are disappointed, but as I understand it though, you can't really judge FSD by current autopilot performance.

Incidentally, last time I heard "middkidd" it was at the coolest graduation ceremony ever, where Fred Rodgers (Mr. Rodgers) was the speaker, 2001 I think.

My friend, you are an optimist, but I'm afraid you're deluding yourself. Do you really think Tesla has FSD working in their test builds but somehow they are just keeping it secret to themselves? They are utterly unable to deliver FSD at the moment and probably not for many years with new hardware.

There is no "fleet learning" going on. Tesla has no way to transmit and receive camera feeds from the cars in any usable capacity.

NO! NO! NO! Everyone who buys an early Model 3 with EAP IS GOING TO BE DISAPPOINTED❗️ FSD is many years away. I've had my HW2 equipped Model S for 8 months and the EAP ISNT WORKING YET. If they can't make EAP work. How are they going to make FSD work. EAP is supposed to make driving more leisurely and relaxing. Baloney! Every over the air update I get just adds disclaimers stating the operator is ultimately responsible for anything that happens. In the owners manual: What we just told you the car will do...... it might not. Or my customer services guy's favorite line.... "It just doesn't do it yet. You'll be happy someday. Can't tell you when." Well I'm not happy. The "keep a hand on the wheel" requires so much input that I can't relax. Just having my hand on the wheel is not enough. The car doesn't see vehicles in my blind spot. It doesn't warn me when I'm approaching stopped vehicles. It doesn't see motorcycles or bicycles. Emergency Braking doesn't include Emergency Stopping for pedestrians. It won't exit the highway while EAP is engaged. It won't make the exchange between highways, as promised. The rain sensor for the windshield wipers doesn't work. Summon won't work unless you have a near flat driveway. My grade seems less than that shown in the video on the Tesla web site but, my car won't climb it into the garage. The door handles rarely present without a fight. (Yes the batteries are fresh). The look down outside mirrors can't be adjusted to a useful position. The damn thing won't read a speed limit sign. It adjusts the drivers seat for the first fob in the car rather than the drivers fob. The biggest disappointment of all. The damn Model S 75D's 0-60 has been improved by a full second. Mine ends up being slower than a new Model 3. They won't even throw me a performance bone. Over the air enhancements my butt. They made my car obsolete before they even got the stuff I was sold to work. Sure wish I had leased rather than purchased. Anyway, I've learned Tesla can't be trusted. They don't care much for buyers after the sale. They've offered me a free annual service in exchange for the $100K beating they've laid on me. EVERY BUYER SHOULD ASK ONE QUESTION: What enhancements are not yet operational! Before pouring out any aspirations and cash. GET IT IN WRITING.

My friend, you are an optimist, but I'm afraid you're deluding yourself. Do you really think Tesla has FSD working in their test builds but somehow they are just keeping it secret to themselves? They are utterly unable to deliver FSD at the moment and probably not for many years with new hardware.

There is no "fleet learning" going on. Tesla has no way to transmit and receive camera feeds from the cars in any usable capacity.
Yeah I definitely tend to be an optimist, and I certainly might misunderstand something. As I understand it what you described is exactly what is happening. IIRC the main reason they haven't delivered FSD yet is they want to have so much data banked that it's basically bulletproof in terms of liability. I would recommend googling "Sterling Anderson Youtube", he was the head of Autopilot, his talks are interesting if nothing else.

Regarding transmitting, can't they just record everything then upload over cell or wifi?

Last edited:
No, I won't be giving $3k of my hard earned money for a feature that does not yet exist. If it comes out, gets all regulatory approval, and is proven/working/safe and I still own the car I will consider it. I'd much rather have the $3k and/or invest it.

Reactions: tander
Yeah I definitely tend to be an optimist, and I certainly might misunderstand something. As I understand it what you described is exactly what is happening. IIRC the main reason they haven't delivered FSD yet is they want to have so much data banked that it's basically bulletproof in terms of liability. I would recommend googling "Sterling Anderson Youtube", he was the head of Autopilot, his talks are interesting if nothing else.

Regarding transmitting, can't they just record everything then upload over cell or wifi?

Optimism is a good trait. I was too when I bought my car, or perhaps trusting is a better word. I believe the amount of data from 8 camera feeds would be staggering, probably gigabytes per hour, which is not feasible to transmit over with cellular or WiFi. I think the neural net/fleet learning is more hype than reality. Of course I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

The safest approach is to just wait on purchasing until the features work. I regret purchasing EAP, FSD, and Ludicrous. All turned out to be hype. Of course Tesla won't refund the money after the fact. It's more about principal than the money anyway.

I'm hoping Tesla achieves "parity" with AP1 by the end of the year, which is 1 year too late. Actually, we were supposed to see "enhanced" autopilot by December 2016. Right now, there is nothing really better about AP2 than AP1, and in many regards AP2 is substantially inferior to AP1. I'm not expecting miracles with FSD, based on the fact that Tesla can't even get the car to properly stay in the lane right now. They can't get auto high beams to work or blind spot. They can't get forward collision warning to work or even auto windshield wipers.

I didn't see a similar poll here. I know I want EAP [Enhanced AutoPilot] but I'm just not positive FSD [Full Self-Driving] will be available during my time of ownership. On the other hand I hate to pay the $1K penalty should I choose to activate it later.

Poll obviously assumes you want EAP.
Since all the hardware are already in the car Tesla should not sell EAP as long as it's not ready to fully worked on the roads and after that left 60 days to decide if we ant it or not. After the 60 days they could charge for more if you change your mind, that would be fair for both side.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lunitiks
Until FSD is released and working in the 'real' world AND Tesla is assuming liability for the car while driving in FSD mode, not just no but heck no.
If you think that Tesla will assumes liability you're daydreaming! I only wish that Tesla is not hungry enough for put it mandatory to have FAP for the car to stop at a stop if you have ''only'' AP1.0 or EAP

Don't they usually sell software features at one price during purchase and another greater price if upgraded at a later date? Until they specify how much greater that price will be it makes no sense to buy it initially if you can upgrade at any point for no penalty

-Randy
Not really...I bought a 60D and (in Canada) a 75D would have cost me over 9K! 3 months after Tesla offer a very nice discount of 6K!

It's not that I don't trust Tesla to eventually get it, I don't trust the government to make it legal in the time I will own the car. And I plan on keeping it for quite a while.

I think the only stuff that will be legal will be the EAP stuff. So, I'm considering that, but not the FSD.

Depends.

You are citing the SAE levels. A vehicle can be FSD is a number of situations and still not be level 5. Although Tesla's aim is level 5 eventually, there are still a number of features between EAP and FSD in levels 3-5. ie. stopping for stop signs / stop lights etc.
So, in your mind, would the intermittent-FSD you describe still be entitled to use the unmitigated FSD name? (Note: You have identified absolutely no organizationally-accepted standard for FSD...)