Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you save $3000 for 100D upgrade for future Model 3 order...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
you know I have a 90D order with FUSC and is close to production (guess Feb 1). The 100D thing has made me sleepless every night.
Make a upgrade will cost me:
1. $3000 + $500 fee
2. Bye bye to Ventilated Seat
3. 1.5 month delay
4. Car rental extension probably $600 - well, my company may pay that for me, or Tesla will lend me a loaner but I cannot drive it more than 30 days otherwise my insurance cannot cover.

I just don't know what my driving habit will be once I get the car. I couldn't find a reason that I absolutely need the extra 38 miles (except in a cold windy night driving? ).

Then I think I probably should take the FUSC model X and, save the $3500 for a Model 3 that can drive easily 350 miles with only 75 KWH energy consumption FOR MY WIFE in 2018 or 2019. We will use that car for one day trip .

What do you think? Am I speculating too much?

Reactions: Cowby
Hi all,
you know I have a 90D order with FUSC and is close to production (guess Feb 1). The 100D thing has made me sleepless every night.
Make a upgrade will cost me:
1. $3000 + $500 fee
2. Bye bye to Ventilated Seat
3. 1.5 month delay
4. Car rental extension probably $600 - well, my company may pay that for me, or Tesla will lend me a loaner but I cannot drive it more than 30 days otherwise my insurance cannot cover.

I just don't know what my driving habit will be once I get the car. I couldn't find a reason that I absolutely need the extra 38 miles (except in a cold windy night driving? ).

Then I think I probably should take the FUSC model X and, save the $3500 for a Model 3 that can drive easily 350 miles with only 75 KWH energy consumption FOR MY WIFE in 2018 or 2019. We will use that car for one day trip .

What do you think? Am I speculating too much?
1.5 mo delay in tesla world might mean a whole slew of annocuments. I wouldn't put that in the negative column if you can wait.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Announcement doesn't mean that the new features will get into the car, right?
If they don't require a change to a new price book, then they would be included. I got several upgrades by delaying my 4/16 order to 12/16 such as the refreshed front end, rear cupholders, rear USB ports, AP2 hardware, etc. If the new features are going into other cars on the production line, then they would go into yours as well.

I would argue against the upgrade. $4,000 (price + fee + car rental) seems not worth 38 miles, unless your normal driving takes you close to the range limit. Because today you could upgrade to 100 kWh from 90, and in six months maybe you can upgrade to 110 kWh from 100, and in a year maybe they'll offer 120 kWh. You will never be able to keep up with the latest thing. My advice is stick with what you ordered. You'll love it. It won't be the very latest and best, but in six months or a year you won't have the latest and best anyway. And you'll have to wait that extra month and a half, which could stretch out to two months, because you never know. If you stick with what you ordered you'll be driving that car a month and a half sooner.

Another benefit of the 100 over the 90 is that it actually adds more useable power than you would think.

Check this thread: Calculate usable battery capacity based on rated miles values

According to @wk057, A 90 pack has ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable. The 100 pack has 102.4 kWh total, 98.4 kWh usable. So that's an increase of 16.6 kWh usable, or about 20% in the increase from a 90 to a 100 pack. That would seal the deal for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I personally went with the change in order. I lose supercharging, spent 20,000 dollars to go from 60D to 100D and also lost my accessory hitch and matte oblech wood option. I think I wouldn't be comfortable with the range of 60D for the 100D. both have the best value battery packs. As Andy pointed out, the battery pack are close to what are advertised and then some.

If your X is within 3 weeks from entering the assembly line, Tesla will not be able to change your order anyways, unless you want to lose your deposit and reorder. I was lucky enough that my order was more than 3 weeks from start of production so I was able to switch from a P100D to a 100D. My DS informed me of the 3 week window...you may want to check with your DS ASAP if you are on the fence about making any changes.

I prefer the non-ventilated seats with 5 & 7 year old kids and because of my new provincial car insurance regulations, it would cost me $3K more per year for a P100D than a 100D.

I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks on SpC and save $3K on insurance and have 6 miles more range in addition to saving $45K Canadian on a 100D.

Last edited:
I personally went with the change in order. I lose supercharging, spent 20,000 dollars to go from 60D to 100D and also lost my accessory hitch and matte oblech wood option. I think I wouldn't be comfortable with the range of 60D for the 100D. both have the best value battery packs. As Andy pointed out, the battery pack are close to what are advertised and then some.

While I argued against changing from 90 to 100, I think you made the right choice in going from 60 to 100. You more or less doubled your range.

If you even thing you want the larger battery do it before it goes to manufacturing. It is prohibitatively costly after you get or. To go from a P90DL to a P100DL is over $20k. They even charge a large fee for the trade in of the battery.