Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experience disturbing wind noise in the cockpit of a model S with the new full glass roof? I can't say I hear air actually getting in the car, but as soon as I'm going faster than 65 mph, and especially at 75 mpg, I feel the Tesla is louder than my Infiniti.. which doesn't quite make sense. Not quite the silent highway drive I was expecting (although it's absolutely silent and awesome at low speeds). Anyone has an Idea what could be done?

I noticed this too. My previous car was a p85 with pano sun roof. I thought with the all glass / no sun roof option would be more quiet at highway speeds. Did you notice that between the windshield and the glass roof there is no gasket? There is a 1/16" gap across that area and I believe that is where the wind noise is coming from.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Has anyone else experience disturbing wind noise in the cockpit of a model S with the new full glass roof? I can't say I hear air actually getting in the car, but as soon as I'm going faster than 65 mph, and especially at 75 mpg, I feel the Tesla is louder than my Infiniti.. which doesn't quite make sense. Not quite the silent highway drive I was expecting (although it's absolutely silent and awesome at low speeds). Anyone has an Idea what could be done?
I started a post on this exact topic a few days ago. I have the same issue. On my car, the glass roof is not quite flush with the trailing edge of the windshield. It is raised by a couple millimeters. I put a piece of masking tape across the intersection of the windshield and the glass roof, and it substantially improved the noise. My car is at the service center now, so we will see what they say. I was unable to find another car with a glass roof to compare mine to, so I don't know if the windshield sticking up slightly is within tolerances. I am confident that a rubber gasket that would fill the gap would solve the problem if they cannot make the roof fit perfectly flat.

On my S, the windshield and roof form a nice curve. There is a gap between both pieces of glass. They look aligned but its this gap that seems to create the wind noise. I am anxious to hear what the service center says about a possible fix.

I would not silicone that area. 1) it might look bad and 2) that area needs to evacuate water once inside. I think a gasket that just covers the exterior but leaves a channel where water can flow under it would work.

I picked up my car from the service center today. They acknowledged the problem with the roof noise (and have seen the problem several times already) but they did not do anything about it yet. They said that engineering is aware of the problem, but there is no permanent fix yet. They said that they have been putting silicone caulking in the area to solve the problem but admitted that it was an inelegant solution and they will probably come up with something better. So I said I would wait. In the meantime I went to Home Depot and found some rubber molding and press fit it in the gap. Here some shots of what I did. I cut the molding in Half and just used one half. After removing the backing, I folded the molding in half, using the sticky tape to keep it folded. I then slid it in the gap with a butter knife. It took about 15 minutes total. Not perfect, but sufficient until they come up with a better solution, as it is easily removed.
IMG_3110.jpg
IMG_3111.jpg
IMG_3112.jpg
IMG_3113.jpg

My gap between the glass and the metal body is not that large. There is a gap but the glass is lower than the body (not sticking out). I only hear wind noise above 75mph and its not that bad (though maybe I am not particularly sensitive to it). I think a rubber gasket is a great idea but I do wonder about water pooling and creating issues without a proper drainage channel. Currently the gap seems to serve this purpose. Filling it with silicone might help as silicone is water tight but I also want to ensure the glass and metal body have the ability to contract and expand with weather changes (which are severe in Chicago). I'll wait for Tesla to address any issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
You'd think Tesla would +'Wind Tunnel' test this before release? After all the all glass roof was a new design...what just design it and throw the glass on and see what happens? Where in the world is they're R&D? Mars? :)

Ski
We're their guinea pigs. It's something new, and usually the first batch of things have some problems.

My gap between the glass and the metal body is not that large. There is a gap but the glass is lower than the body (not sticking out). I only hear wind noise above 75mph and its not that bad (though maybe I am not particularly sensitive to it). I think a rubber gasket is a great idea but I do wonder about water pooling and creating issues without a proper drainage channel. Currently the gap seems to serve this purpose. Filling it with silicone might help as silicone is water tight but I also want to ensure the glass and metal body have the ability to contract and expand with weather changes (which are severe in Chicago). I'll wait for Tesla to address any issues.

Like you, I do not hear wind noise coming from the glass roof. my front windshield if flush with the roof with a minor gap.

Reactions: bhzmark